Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Original Xbox Replacement Caps

Looking good.
    Should make it another 20 years easily... provided the GPU (nVidia GeForce 3 -based) can make it that long too.

Comment

Just noticed a few boards have a Nichicon HM 680uf 16v near the AV connector. Should those be replaced as well? Not sure of that cap's purpose. I did pull one and it read a little high, not double like the 3300uf ones but still high.
      --------------------------------------------------------------
      Ryzen 3600x
      16GB Patriot 3600MHz
      MSI B450 Gaming Plus
      MSI Air Boost Vega 56
      Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
      Rosewill Capstone 750W
      Hakko FX-888D Station
      FX-8802 Iron
      MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Comment

I'd replace them. A few 16V, 680 uF caps shouldn't cost too much. Nichicon HM from that era is just failure prone, no matter the size. With that said, it can sometimes take a little longer for the smaller HM/HN/HZ caps to fail than usual, especially the higher voltage versions. But it will probably happen eventually. Not all of them may exhibit double capacitance or higher either. On the other hand, the problem is that when some of these Nichicon HM/HN/HZ caps fail, they can sometimes become a short-circuit for a short while, and that could cause a weaker component to burn out. So depending on what the capacitors in those spots are connected to, that may or may not be big issue. But for a few cents extra... might as well get them done.
        Last edited by momaka; 10-19-2020, 01:31 PM.

Comment

make sure you use 16v there,
          some boxes gave a 10v cap, but the voltage across it is already 9v
          it smooths the power around a linear regulator

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            make sure you use 16v there,
            some boxes gave a 10v cap, but the voltage across it is already 9v
            it smooths the power around a linear regulator
            Yep, didn't plan on going low. That area is riddled with tiny SMD 16v caps I think 10uf so that makes sense, and it is right next to a regulator so yeah.
            Ryzen 3600x
            16GB Patriot 3600MHz
            MSI B450 Gaming Plus
            MSI Air Boost Vega 56
            Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
            Rosewill Capstone 750W
            Hakko FX-888D Station
            FX-8802 Iron

Comment

Hi everyone,

I would like to save my baby version 1.4 and although I have read the entire post, I could not find any suitable reference for the replacement. It was very useful for getting the reference of my current one. Does anyone have the corresponding replacement?

I am interested in having well recognize brand.

Thank you,
              Armand

Comment

Originally posted by Armandooooo View Post
                Hi everyone,

I would like to save my baby version 1.4 and although I have read the entire post, I could not find any suitable reference for the replacement. It was very useful for getting the reference of my current one. Does anyone have the corresponding replacement?

I am interested in having well recognize brand.

Thank you,
                Armand
                Which ones are bad? Pics?

It's usually the 3300uf caps that go bad. Nichicon UHV, Rubycon ZLQ are what I normally use.
                Last edited by jayjr1105; 11-09-2020, 09:20 AM.
                Ryzen 3600x
                16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                Rosewill Capstone 750W
                Hakko FX-888D Station
                FX-8802 Iron

Comment

Originally posted by jayjr1105 View Post
                  Which ones are bad? Pics?

It's usually the 3300uf caps that go bad. Nichicon UHV, Rubycon ZLQ are what I normally use.
                  Thank you very much! If you happen to know for the others I need also :
                  25v 22uf Nichicon VR (5x11mm)
                  25v 100uf Nichicon VR (6x11mm)
                  10v 3300uf Nichicon PW (12.5x25mm)
                  16v 1500uf Nichicon HD (10x20mm)
                  2.5V 1F Nichicon UC

SMD:
                  16v 47uf Nichicon WX
                  16v 10uf Nichicon WX

Thanks again

Comment

Thank you very much! If you happen to know for the others I need also :
                    25v 22uf Nichicon VR (5x11mm)
                    25v 100uf Nichicon VR (6x11mm)
                    10v 3300uf Nichicon PW (12.5x25mm)
                    16v 1500uf Nichicon HD (10x20mm)
                    2.5V 1F Nichicon UC

SMD:
                    16v 47uf Nichicon WX
                    16v 10uf Nichicon WX

Thanks again
                    Those other usually don't go bad. Why are you replacing all those?
                    Ryzen 3600x
                    16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                    MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                    MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                    Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                    Rosewill Capstone 750W
                    Hakko FX-888D Station
                    FX-8802 Iron

Comment

Those other usually don't go bad. Why are you replacing all those?
                      Because now my xbox start to have flickering on 2D images, and I presume it is from the caps. Which one? I don't exactly know so as I want to preserve it I prefer to do it all so I am good for the next 20 years.

Do you believe this comes only from the one near the CPU?

Thank you,
                      Armand

Comment

Because now my xbox start to have flickering on 2D images, and I presume it is from the caps. Which one? I don't exactly know so as I want to preserve it I prefer to do it all so I am good for the next 20 years.

Do you believe this comes only from the one near the CPU?

Thank you,
                        Armand
                        Yes, screen flickering and visual issues are most likely the bad caps around the CPU.
                        Ryzen 3600x
                        16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                        MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                        MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                        Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                        Rosewill Capstone 750W
                        Hakko FX-888D Station
                        FX-8802 Iron

Comment

2700uf 4v poly's are almost $2 a piece. Pass. I'll stick with my Rubycon ZLQ/ZLH and Nichicon UHV for the CPU replacement caps.
                          Use 5x 1500uF 2.5v polys (RR50E152MDN1‎) or 5x 1000uF 6.3v polys (RR70J102MDN1). Price is almost the same as the ZLQ or UHV but half or third the ESR.
                          Last edited by Ryeno; 12-15-2020, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Greetings,

I have a 1.4 Xbox that had those bad 3x3300uF+1x680uF Nichicon HM caps, symptoms were screen flickering etc. as mentioned above, already swapped those with Panasonic FR and the system is working great again.

Now regarding the PSU, not sure if I'd trust those caps there long term so I'm thinking of doing a preventive recap before putting in a new HDD. I neglected to make a pic of it but it's a Delta unit with Ltec 2200uF (LZG series according to an earlier post here). Did anyone who recapped theirs put an ESR meter to those caps? Mainly asking because all the glue in there does add some difficulty to it.

Also, I can choose between Panasonic FC and FR for the recap, I'm sure both would work but ideally would I just go FR for the entire thing or look up each cap and try to match ESR? For example LZG would be 0.030 or 0.035 ohms (not sure which size was used) while FR is lower at 0.018.

If I do go through with the recap I'll be sure to post some readings as I do have an Atlas ESR60.

Comment

Those power supply caps hold up surprisingly well considering they are tier 2 caps. I recapped a Foxlink for fun and all the old caps tested fine with ESR. If you want to do it for preventative measures then more power to you. I used Rubycon for the most part as Panasonic's were always bigger.

Back in this thread a few pages you can find my foxlink recap pic... https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=124
                              Last edited by jayjr1105; 01-15-2021, 10:28 AM.
                              Ryzen 3600x
                              16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                              MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                              MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                              Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                              Rosewill Capstone 750W
                              Hakko FX-888D Station
                              FX-8802 Iron

Comment

Well looking at it again I think I'm going to leave it alone for the time being, unless someone comes up with a report of those Ltec caps failing. There's a ton of hard glue between the coils and those caps, going at that with a knife has a risk of cutting up the board. I know isopropyl could probably be used to soften it but that would be messy as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Xan03 View Post
                                  Well looking at it again I think I'm going to leave it alone for the time being, unless someone comes up with a report of those Ltec caps failing.
                                  They do, but not as often in these older power supplies. Not sure if because older Ltec were of better quality or because PSUs just didn't stress them as much back then. But if you see Ltec in equipment made after ~2007, definitely replace them, because they are guaranteed to be bad or go bad. At least from what I have seen, 2006-2008 is when they seem to have started (or went) downhill. Nevertheless, keep an eye on those Ltec caps once in a while if you do intend to leave them in there - especially after the Xbox has been stored for a long time with no use (over 6-12 months.) For some crap caps, keeping them in storage without use can be just as bad for their reliability as using them.
                                  Last edited by momaka; 01-19-2021, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info, and yeah, that was the story with those Nichicon HM as well. The unit worked when I got it some years back before even knowing about them, then didn't use it for 2-3 years and that's when they crapped out.

I actually went ahead and did some pictures of the PSU, there's some discoloration on the PCB between a diode, resistor and ceramic cap (?), did anyone see that before?

By the way, what's the story on those sub-1uF electrolytics? I don't see any Panasonic etc. for sale with such low capacity so I guess you replace them just with whatever is available? And for things like those Taicon VX is it safer to use some 105°C GP stuff instead of Panasonic FC and the like? I can't even find any ESR ratings in the VX specsheet.

Edit: nevermind the discoloration thing, skimmed through the thread again and it looks exactly the same on this pic so I guess it's normal for those PSUs.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by Xan03; 01-21-2021, 10:59 AM.

Comment

what sub 1uf??

nothing like that on the mobo - you mean the psu?

Comment

Yes, I assume those are the three orange ones near the Ltec caps.

Comment

so what value are they?
                                          i would use polyester film to replace anything under 1uf

Comment

Working...
                                          X