Sonos playbar power supply help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sonos playbar power supply help

Ok, I've ordered some replacement output caps. Good quality panasonic with a high ripple rating.... fingers crossed that does it.

Comment

Sounds good. Keep us posted how it goes.

Comment

Well replacing the output caps did help. The sound isn't completely gone but after assembly, the sound is not noticeable when the playbar is idle. I also applied generous amounts of hot glue to all the capacitors and the transformer. Thanks a lot momaka!

Comment

No problems.

Out of curiosity (and for the sake of thread completeness), which series of Panasonic capacitors did you end up using on the output? Sometimes playing with the ESR of the output caps can indeed have an effect on PSU noise - both electrical and audible.

Comment

Sure, so on the output caps I used Panasonic EEUFR1E102L Ultra low ESR capacitors with the following characteristics:

Capacitance 1000 uF
            Voltage 25 V dc
            Mounting Type Through Hole
            Technology Electrolytic
            Dimensions 10 (Dia.) x 25mm
            Height 25mm
            Minimum Operating Temperature -40°C
            Diameter 10mm
            Maximum Operating Temperature +105°C
            Lead Pitch 5mm
            Lifetime 10000h
            Series FR Radial
            Ripple Current 2.47A
            Tolerance ±20%

The original capacitors were RSPRO (Jackon) with the following characteristics:

Capacitance 1000 uF
            Voltage 25 V dc
            Mounting Type Through Hole
            Technology Electrolytic
            Dimensions 10 (Dia.) x 20mm
            Height 20mm
            Length 20mm
            Minimum Operating Temperature -40°C
            Diameter 10mm
            Maximum Operating Temperature +105°C
            Lifetime 2000h
            Lead Pitch 5mm
            Series RS
            Leakage Current <=0.01 CV or 3 μA @ 1 min
            Ripple Current 850mA
            Polarised Polar
            Dissipation Factor 14%
            Tolerance ±20%

After assembly, I can't hear the noise anymore. I mean there is noise if you put your ear flush on the bottom of the playbar where the power supply is located but some noise is to be expected. Before, the noise was at a frequency that was incredibly annoying. You could not be in the room with it for long periods of time because it was very grating.

Comment

Originally posted by bosscharles View Post
              Sure, so on the output caps I used Panasonic EEUFR1E102L Ultra low ESR capacitors ...
              After assembly, I can't hear the noise anymore. I mean there is noise if you put your ear flush on the bottom of the playbar where the power supply is located but some noise is to be expected. Before, the noise was at a frequency that was incredibly annoying. You could not be in the room with it for long periods of time because it was very grating.
              Good to hear that and thanks for posting back this information. Hopefully it will help someone else too who might experience the same issue.

Also, I find it interesting to note that the Jackcon caps are only rated for 850 mA of ripple current (vs. 2470 mA for the Panasonic FR.) If that really tells me anything, it is that those Jackcon caps are probably about as capable as general purpose electrolytics - which is not recommended for SMPS use. Not to mention this is their rating when they are new. Who knows how much worse they will get 2...3... maybe 5 years down the road (if they even last that long, which I seriously doubt.) At least now with the Panny FRs, you won't have to worry about any cap failures anytime soon (except maybe the small startup cap on the primary, which you didn't mention that you replaced... but if that one goes bad, the PSU just won't be able to start anymore.)

Anyways, again it's good to hear you got it working properly with no noise now.

Comment

I've recently purchased Sonos playbar which wouldn't power up. Found blown internal fuse due to short in bridge rectifier. I replaced faulty parts + 2 x 100uF/400 caps. Playbar did power up afterwards, but with very loud and annoying whine noise. Replaced 3 output caps with the same type as @bosscharles did, but the noise was exactly the same. Then I did the trick with dipping transformer in varnish, and now my playbar psu is dead silence
                If anyone is interested, use insulating varnish from uk.rs-online.com - stock number: 199-1480.

Comment

Originally posted by dobrykamil View Post
                  Then I did the trick with dipping transformer in varnish, and now my playbar psu is dead silence
                  If anyone is interested, use insulating varnish from uk.rs-online.com - stock number: 199-1480.
                  Cool. Thanks for sharing your fix!
                  It will probably help others with the same issue.
                  So I guess it wasn't the caps, after all. Nevertheless, it's still a good idea to replace them. Jackcon caps are no good really.

Comment

Hey guys and girls, came here searching for a solution to my high pitch whining Sonos playbar. Decided to order up replacement capacitors and some insulating varnish as per BossCharles and Dobrykamil. I thought while the unit was in pieces I might as well carry out both "repairs".
                    Anyways, worked a charm. Nice and quiet now. If your unit was anything like mines you might be in luck!

This fella's video helped me get a grasp of the teardown and what to expect.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wltivp3ty3E

If you're in the UK, I ordered RS Stock No.708-3746 for the capacitors.
                    And RS Stock No.199-1480 for the varnish.

Wee note, I removed the three capacitors and using a little cup with some varnish in, I dipped the transformer in while still attached to the board. You'll just need to find something to support the board on both sides while it's in soaking in there. Left it for about 4 hours before removing. Left it another few hours to dry then popped the replacement caps in and reassembled. One thing I will say is that there were some tiny little cable headers that were secured in place using hot glue, (see attached) upon refitting they did positively snap back into place, but it might be beneficial to have hot glue at hand to help secure them in place.

Just wanted to say thanks to those who offered help/ suggestions, and if anyone else stumbles across this post looking for a solution, it's worth a shot! You saved me a fortune, cheers!

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1667332519
                    Attached Files

Comment

Pawn87x, thank you for the RS component numbers. Huge help. I've ordered and will let you know how I get on.

Comment

thanks for all the information, helped me alot

Comment

Originally posted by Thetaylor View Post
                          Pawn87x, thank you for the RS component numbers. Huge help. I've ordered and will let you know how I get on.
                          Can I ask how you got on as I'm about to order the parts too?

Comment

Hi

Just a wee update for anyone thinking about attempting a repair for the high pitch transformer sound problem.

I ordered the Output capacitors and varnish from R/S (the part numbers previously published above) and undertook the repair. It was a resounding success!

I replaced the capacitors but couldn’t get the transformer off the board so I dipped it in situ (for 4 hours), immersing it as much as I could. I left it to dry for 24 hours and reassembled the Playbar.

I found this video very useful indeed for the strip down and reassemble.

https://youtu.be/z0jbCywFiOA

Thanks to all who have advised on this forum, It’s priceless!

Comment

Just registered to say thanks for the info shared here.

I repaired my faulty Playbar. It had a shorted bridge rectifier and a leaky filter cap.
                              Then the awful pulse transformer whine...

Dipped it in some yacht varnish and the whine is almost gone, can't hear it when sealed in the case.
                              Something i tried before dipping which quietened it a bit was to wrap cable ties around it, damped the ringing some.
                              thanks

Comment

Another happy sonos listener here, I used interior varnish and let it soke for 2 hours, took it out and let it dry. Plugged it in and it did still make a sound a lot less than before. And with it fully assembled i have to put my ear on the playbar to hear it. The varnish works like a charm

Comment

Working...
                                X