Help please:Stupid person Building Power Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help please:Stupid person Building Power Supply

Hi I'm building an adjustable Power Supply.
    But I have to be the dumbest person in the world and maybe I should not touch these things ya because I have seen several videos about it and even some
    schematic but have not figured out where the wires of the Voltmeter / Ampmeter should be.
    So please if you want to help me do not refer me to any video or any
    schematic please feel free to point to my pictures or give me a very clear
    picture showing where and how to connect them Very very Grateful
    I'm using a charger whith a dual output 12v and 5v with 1.5A for both output.
    and an XL4016 CC / CV 300W buck converter and finally a DC 100V 10A Voltmeter Ammeter Blue + Red LED Amp Dual Digital Volt Meter A meter
    Attached Files

Re: Help please:Stupid person Building Power Supply

first check your psu has the right wiring,
    a lot of those have the red and yellow the wrong way.
    hopefully the board is labeled.

Comment

Hello stj thank you am just using the case of the atx not the psu then no wiring,

Comment

Originally posted by bohaboha View Post
        I'm using a charger whith a dual output 12v and 5v with 1.5A for both output.
        and an XL4016 CC / CV 300W buck converter and finally a DC 100V 10A Voltmeter Ammeter Blue + Red LED Amp Dual Digital Volt Meter A meter
        Please post a picture of volt and amp meter module that you are going to use
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Hej sam_sam_sam here some pics thank you
          Attached Files

Comment

Ok

This is fairly easy to do but you have known on the amp meter portion weather or not it negative side of the power supply that does the measurements or is it possible side

Then if it has a ( - sign when pulling a load through the shunt ( wire or resistor inside the meter module ) you might have to change the direction of current flow some of these meter have this function but most of the meter that have three wires do not have this function

These are the heavier wires that I reference earlier above

The smaller red and black wire are your power for the meter module itself just make sure what voltage the meter module operates at and do not go over this voltage you will fry the meter module

Most of the time the black wire and yellow wire is for current measurements and red and black is voltage measurement wires

Can you please post a link to where you bought this meter module at I can more information in detail how to hook up this meter module
            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-05-2020, 11:09 AM.
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Hi again and thank you for your help .my problem is where i hook those wieres for the best funkion as you sad the Red and Blak small wires are for the Volt/Amp meter power,the yellow is for the volt and the blak and red are for the curent but the Where to hook them ?here is the link:
              https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_AZpmMG
              https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_A44A7o

Comment

when i said about the colours being wrong - i meant on the 5v/12v supplies like yours that come with external drive cases.
                make sure yellow really is 12v and black really is ground!

Comment

Hi again stj as you se on the pics am using a charger that have dual output
                  12V and 5V my problem is how and where to hook the wires of the volt/amp meter end to the probes

Comment

You to take a ohm meter and check and see if close to “0” ohms or maybe as 1 to 2 ohms resistance on the heavy red and black wires you are going to put this in series with the load on the negative side of your power supply output terminal

See if the thin red and black wires powers up the meter if so then you only have to deal with the current portion of this meter module

The yellow should be the voltage sense wire

If the power on with only the thin red and black wires then very quickly put it together with the red wire and you should see some voltage readings if you do then that is the voltage senes wire if sparks we start from the being

This information that I put in this post is based on the information in the meter module information provided by the seller that you posted here on this forum

The two pin connector in front shunt should be shunt pin connector that is the one that should have very low resistance between those two pins that I talked about earlier

I hope this helps you get the meter module working correctly

One note if you want to see the voltage at your terminals on your power supply output then the yellow wires need to hooked up to positive terminal ( power supply output side ) the two very thin red and black wires go to switching power supply output pins 5 volt side
                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-05-2020, 02:30 PM.
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      when i said about the colours being wrong - i meant on the 5v/12v supplies like yours that come with external drive cases.
                      make sure yellow really is 12v and black really is ground!
                      Yes this definitely need to be checked first and make sure that this is correct
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Hi yes the thin red and black wires powers up the meter. and the others 3 wires :black,red and yellow are for the Curent and Volt
                        yellow for the volt.
                        Now how to connect them right to the probes and to the XL4016 CC / CV 300W buck converter? because apparently there are several ways to do it
                        The buck converter get his stable power from the charger
                        Last edited by bohaboha; 12-05-2020, 02:47 PM. Reason: fogot to give important info

Comment

Does the Digital Volt-Amp meter come with the wiring diagram/instruction?
                          According to the link to Aliexpress, you will use the Share power source wiring, the power source is the Buck converter module.
                          Last edited by budm; 12-05-2020, 03:44 PM.
                          Never stop learning
                          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Hi budm no wiring diagram or instruction
                            It have to be the outpout of the Buck converter module since the input have to be from the main or in my case from the 12V charger ?but please where i connect my probes here?

Comment

There is diagram in the link in your post #7.
                              Never stop learning

Comment

thank you do i have to use the share the power source or the independent ones thank you again

Comment

Share power source diagram, the output of your buck converter is the source.
                                  But remember one thing, using share power source you cannot set the buck converter to less than 4V because the min operating Voltage for the meter is 4V, so if you want the meter to show output from 1.2V and up you will have to use the second diagram instead but we do not know if the thin black wire is internally connected to the thick wire or not to allow to use common negative wires of the two power sources and we also do not know if the current sensing resistor in on the high side or on the low side..
                                  So look and see if the thin black wire is directly connected to the thick black wire on the circuit board or not.
                                  Last edited by budm; 12-05-2020, 05:24 PM.
                                  Never stop learning

Comment

If you are going monitor the voltage from the output from the buck / boost converter and you want the meter to stayed powered on all the time no matter what your voltage is from the converter then hook the two wires to the 5 volts output of your switching power supply and not in the shared mode ( this is if you are going to adjusting the voltage all the time for different devices then you would want to use this setup )

Now if you are going to set the converter to a certain voltage and leave it at that setting then yes you can use the shared mode
                                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-05-2020, 05:28 PM.
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

thank you sir

Comment

Working...
                                      X