Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead Oven Control Board, Possibly Transformer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dead Oven Control Board, Possibly Transformer?

search ali for 169' thermal fuses - if your too specific the seach falls over

Comment

Here is a link that has 150*c

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtc5gC5
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

So neither of the manufacturers have responded. Applianceboardrepair.com responded, but were of no help, only sending me links to irrelevant search results on mouser. Their last response was that they did not have a transformer, but if I sent the board in they would "patch it" for me. Not sure what they would "patch" it with considering the useless search results they sent me. Oh well.

Anyway, I couldn't find an exact match for the fuse and didn't want to wait on AliExpress, so I ended up buying some 2.5A 126C fuses from Amazon for $10. I figured the amp rating was more important than the temp limit. Fingers crossed.

Comment

I hope you got fast acting fuse not time delay fuses they are very different

The amp rating is more important but also weather or not it is fast acting or a time delay type of fuse
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 11-21-2020, 11:55 AM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
            I hope you got fast acting fuse not time delay fuses they are very different

The amp rating is more important but also weather or not it is fast acting or a time delay type of fuse
            It doesn't say either

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

I drew a partial schematic and it all makes much more sense.

This Frigidaire Oven Controller 318010700 oven control board transformer is a custom part, because the vacuum fluorescent display needs that additional winding - the filament winding.

I would say estimate it is around 14VAC center-tapped as the board uses less common 9VDC relays. OP measures 18VAC but at no (relay) load, and 4VAC with the VFD connected?
              In a pinch I would use an off the shelf 14VCT transformer and a second (extra) transformer 6.3V and add two resistors to get the filament voltage down to what it should be.

It's great the transformer survived. I read another forum that this is a common failure mode - any power line surge causes these oven boards to collapse and then cook the transformer. I'm still puzzled about what causes the transformer to overheat. There is an additional primary fuse F1 so I would expect that have protected the transformer but the design fails here F1 should only be around 1/2A max. it must be way over that.

I would say if you can't get a replacement thermal fuse, it is acceptable to add a (proper) normal fuse on the transformer's primary for F1. I use around 1/4A to 1/2A slow blow.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by redwire; 11-21-2020, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby78 View Post
                I did not realize that you were buying thermo fuses that will work it just will not let the transformer to get as hot before it cuts out the power to the transformer which is probably a good thing
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

dont forget those fuses can easily be damaged when soldering .

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                    I drew a partial schematic and it all makes much more sense.

This Frigidaire Oven Controller 318010700 oven control board transformer is a custom part, because the vacuum fluorescent display needs that additional winding - the filament winding.

I would say estimate it is around 14VAC center-tapped as the board uses less common 9VDC relays. OP measures 18VAC but at no (relay) load, and 4VAC with the VFD connected?
                    In a pinch I would use an off the shelf 14VCT transformer and a second (extra) transformer 6.3V and add two resistors to get the filament voltage down to what it should be.

It's great the transformer survived. I read another forum that this is a common failure mode - any power line surge causes these oven boards to collapse and then cook the transformer. I'm still puzzled about what causes the transformer to overheat. There is an additional primary fuse F1 so I would expect that have protected the transformer but the design fails here F1 should only be around 1/2A max. it must be way over that.

I would say if you can't get a replacement thermal fuse, it is acceptable to add a (proper) normal fuse on the transformer's primary for F1. I use around 1/4A to 1/2A slow blow.
                    Nice, thanks for the analysis. If I continue to have issues with the thermal fuse, I will consider replacing F1 with a 0.25-0.5A slow-blow fuse and see if that spares the thermal fuse. Hopefully I won't have to rig up a two transformer system.

Comment

Working...
                    X