Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Logitech Z5500 No Sound (Bad control pod help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logitech Z5500 No Sound (Bad control pod help)

Good day folks. A former colleague of mine asked me to have a look at his prized Z5500 system which he's very fond of. He said it suddenly stopped working. He brought the sub and the console to our old shop where we use to hang out and the issue seems to be the console/pod. It turns on, the display works fine, the volume adjusts up and down, everything looks perfect but there's no sound at all on any of the channels, including the subwoofer. There IS sound coming out of the headphone jack though, so sound is making its way into the pod, but not into the sub where the amps are. The easiest way to confirm this was with a second pod from a friend and this one works. It was only a test setup (which I didn't even see, since he did it with another guy), but there WAS sound, so the problem is in the first guy's pod....

Surprisingly few resources on this system, despite being rather popular

Has anyone fixed these control pods before ? I don't have a scope sadly, so I can't quite probe "audio" stuff. I had a very brief look through the vent holes on the back and it's all SMDs in there.....looks very complicated, but perhaps the issue is rather simple....Where would I even start ? Thanks for any suggestions.
    Wattevah...

Re: Logitech Z5500 No Sound (Bad control pod help)

Th3_uN1Qu3 knows some stuff about these. There was a great 'hacking' and mod community as well.

I repaired one set, replacing all the caps in the sub and finding a used control pod, otherwise it was very temperamental.

I have another to do, but my friend still has it, it turns itself off. I suspect the sub, but perhaps control pod.

I think I recall one of the main chips in the control pod being a cirrus chip which can go bad, it should be referenced online.

Comment

Re: Logitech Z5500 No Sound (Bad control pod help)

Thanks for the reply, but I managed to fix it after all. The problem: orange wire inside the control pod had broken off the solder pad....yeah.... Must be for MUTE/Stand-by control.
      Wattevah...

Comment

Working...
      X