This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Got a Harman Kardon AVR65 surround amp a little over a week ago. Not sure if it works yet. Trash day pick in the nearby neighborhood. Basically, I went out grocery shopping the previous day and spotted a discarded HP monitor, around 22-24" (or it could have been an AIO system - I didn't stop to see it.)

Anyways, I went out somewhat early in the morning next day to get the HP monitor with the car, but it was gone. On the way back, I was going to take a different route, since I didn't see anything interesting on it the previous day. But then, by mistake, I took the same route again. That's when I spotted the Harman Kardon amp.

It came along with two mismatched Cambridge Soundworks mini speakers (I guess they were part of some kind of surround setup). In retrospect, this could maybe have been a better score, as one of the speakers was sitting on top of some cardboard boxes. I didn't check what was in them. It could have been the rest of the setup - I know, silly mistake.

The speakers were clean, but the amp I'm not sure about. Outside it looked clean and didn't have any smells at all (I'm mainly looking for that sweet-poopy roach smell, lol ). However, I did find one tiny dead roach carcass stuck on the bottom grille... so the amp is still sitting outside. We have frost alert tonight, so perhaps that will take care of any bug thing that might exist in there. I did open the amp cover and check it thoroughly, but didn't see anything else. However, the amp may not be working. Or if it is working, it's got a terrible design, because there is an area of the main PCB with three linear regs (7805's and a 7812) that is very badly burned - almost black. On the bottom, one of the regs has bad solder joints. So this one is... to be continued... as they say.

After picking up the above amp, I was too lazy to make a U-turn, so I just made a left turn in the next street. There, I found two extension cords, among other trash. One of the cords is typical season lights extension cord. But the other appears to be a 25' or 40' long. 3-prong, but the ground pin is broken on the plug side. Oh well, who needs ground anyways? Most of the time, I need an extension cord like this for plugging tools outside - all of which carry 2-pin polarized type plugs. So not an issue if I am to use it.

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    ^
    I've got one of those here, brand new in its original box! Very awesome case, well built well designed.....I have no build in mind for mine, but when I use it it'll be something special!
    Good to know you think it's a decent case. Means it probably really is.
    I don't mind it being dinged up. Just as long as it hold well together. On that note, I haven't thought of a build for mine either. Come to think of it, it's almost a waste getting it and not doing anything with it. :\ Hopefully, I will come up with something in the next few months. (LOL, I know, I am so slow with these things... but it's mostly a hobby after all).
    Last edited by momaka; 10-21-2018, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Another SMT750 -- means I can retire another of the BackUPS XS 1500's.

And, 14 x 500G SATA and 14 x 750G SATA.

Plus, 64GB of PC3/10600.

Comment

Picked up 6 from the county today. P4~C2D era stuff.

Attached Files
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Picked up 6 from the county today. P4~C2D era stuff.

Some of the full ATX ones look like legit cases... Maybe my brain is on vacation, but some look almost like my Foxconn case (those are nice, if they are indeed).

*slighty jealous*

More pics when you get a chance?
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
            Some of the full ATX ones look like legit cases... Maybe my brain is on vacation, but some look almost like my Foxconn case (those are nice, if they are indeed).

*slighty jealous*

More pics when you get a chance?
            They are actually good solid cases. I blew the dust out of them and brought them inside. The innards are likely ebay fodder, I'm running out of cases for my 'weird builds', these will do fine. Finding retro cases is getting harder every day, not that these are new....but beige stuff is getting few & far between.

Attached Files
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

They are actually good solid cases.
              They look okay to me as well.

The innards are likely ebay fodder
              Well, at least three of the PSUs look like Deer/Allied based on the fan arrangement. Two might be ATNG, but they could (and likely) also be FSP. The black PSU, I'm not sure. Hopefully a ThermalTake, if you're lucky.

Hmmm... let's see if I get any of those right.

Finding retro cases is getting harder every day, not that these are new....but beige stuff is getting few & far between.
              I've noticed that too.
              Seems that a lot of people are bringing their old PCs into some electronics store for recycling. Shame though, because they just get scrapped for metal. And they are such good quality that they will easily outlast any system inside (or 5, for that matter!)

Heck, even silver cases from the early Win2000/XP era are hard to come by. Say what you want, but I'll take those silver e-Machines cases any day. I got one in the closet and it's pretty damn solid. Where I had it under my desk (before testing and replacing it with another PC) I often used it as a foot rest. Case never budged. Don't try that with a 2018 model Dell or HP, especially those cheap tin can models that have a laptop mobo inside a "desktop" case. They can barely hold themselves. And rattle like crazy too.
              Last edited by momaka; 10-22-2018, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                The black PSU, I'm not sure. Hopefully a ThermalTake, if you're lucky.
                I have a Thermaltake Smart-Series 430W PSU, IIRC, and the components look very questionable at best! It's banned from going into any of my PCs!

But don't worry, I now have the following upscale PSUs:

1: An Antec High Current Pro 1200 W, from probably 2010 or close to there and is loaded with Rubies, IIRC.

2: A Corsair TX850M (modular, IIRC)

3 An eVGA Supernova G3 750 W
                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-23-2018, 12:10 AM.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  Well, at least three of the PSUs look like Deer/Allied based on the fan arrangement. Two might be ATNG, but they could (and likely) also be FSP. The black PSU, I'm not sure. Hopefully a ThermalTake, if you're lucky.

Hmmm... let's see if I get any of those right.
                  3 Sparkles, 2 allied, and 1 'Manhattan' (the black one).... I've had good luck with Sparkle's in the past (recapped of course). The Allied's have been a mixed bag. Manhattans are junk.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

[QUOTE=momaka;858200]
                    Seems that a lot of people are bringing their old PCs into some electronics store for recycling. Shame though, because they just get scrapped for metal.[QUOTE]

Cases take up a lot of space -- until they are "built" into systems. When you have (hundreds each day to sort through, its easy to run out of space "storing" cases. Will you manage to "use" (build) them before the next hundred+ comes in, TOMORROW?

You'd be amazed at how quickly you can fill a 40yd rolloff with "scap metal"!

I only see higher-end Antecs being saved. And, even those get tossed when space gets scarce! (6 in the bin this past Monday)

[Or, the occasional Alpha boxen]

Comment

^
                      Srsly?!

Anything high-end, I'll cover the shipping for crying out loud.... Tragic & wasteful.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

^
                        Srsly?!

Anything high-end, I'll cover the shipping for crying out loud.... Tragic & wasteful.
                        There simply are not enough man-hours to rescue everything that is worth rescuing. E.g., the 64G of PC3/10600 I mentioned, above, was in a server that was being scrapped, largely intact (drives removed along with heatsinks but little else).

I don't think folks realize just how much kit ends up trashed simply for lack of manpower (when you're getting pennies per pound, you sure can't afford to waste DOLLARS of salaries in the hope of finding a better price (and, where do you pile the stuff up while you're waiting for payment, etc.?)

One of the places I visit processes ~2 tons of scrap each day. Assume only 10% of that is "worth finding a better home". And, assume you can find a buyer, receive payment and get it in the mail in less than 7 days.

So, you've got to find a place to store 7 * (10% * 2T) = ~2800 pounds of "stuff" -- continuously (cuz each time something goes out the door, something else comes IN to take its place).

Another place I visit empties a small warehouse (~5000 sq ft) of kit every two weeks. Palletize it, shrink wrap and load it onto trucks.

I (personally) am to the point that I can't bring anything else into the house unless I can find something to get rid of to make room for it! :<

Comment

Well redirect some of this my way.....I have a large facility and the time to work with it.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Well redirect some of this my way.....I have a large facility and the time to work with it.
                            The problem is having time/resources on THIS end! It takes time/personnel to triage equipment (worth "additional processing") and then more time (and space) to deal with that "additional processing". Much easier (less labor) and quicker to scrap anything that doesn't "sparkle llike a diamond".

Some (very old) photos:
                            Attached Files

Comment

^
                              I have an enclosed trailer and a dual rear wheel 1-ton diesel pickup... Where is this located?
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

^
                                I have an enclosed trailer and a dual rear wheel 1-ton diesel pickup... Where is this located?
                                I have a long-bed ranger with a high topper... share the wealth!
                                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

^
                                  Photos were of a previous facility. Currently in the process of relocating (again) so no idea how much space will be available in the new digs until some time after the new year.

Southern AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                                    Photos were of a previous facility. Currently in the process of relocating (again) so no idea how much space will be available in the new digs until some time after the new year.

Southern AZ.
                                    Let me know...I'd come that far for good enough of a haul.

Don't worry RD, I've never been selfish.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Let me know...I'd come that far for good enough of a haul.
                                      I don't know what their plans are. Nor why they are moving. So, I can't begin to guess how their "business plans" are likely to change.

It was just mentioned, "in passing", on my most recent visit: "You heard we'll be moving in the next couple of months...?" Shame on them for not consulting me prior to making that decision!

Comment

They pay 5¢ a pound where I live for recycled computers. It's really sad but yes I have taken them a few truckloads due to space issues over the year.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                                          They pay 5¢ a pound where I live for recycled computers. It's really sad but yes I have taken them a few truckloads due to space issues over the year.
                                          That seems low. Different prices for different "parts" of the computer (e.g., "clean aluminum" or "clean copper" -- heatsinks -- gets a fair price). The sheet metal cases are only worth $0.01/pound. CPU (chips), motherboards (more paid for server grade boards), disk drives, etc. all command different rates.

But, to get those better prices, you have to dismantle the computer into those particular pieces. If you just want to dispose of it "without getting your hands dirty", you get a lower net price (cuz the recycler has to invest labor to dismantle it).

IIRC, I think a generic laptop is worth about $7. A "computer" maybe $10-15 (depending on size).

There's just too much labor involved in getting these things back into the market. Imagine how much time you have to spend reassembling/cabling a box, installing an OS, cleaning it up, etc. before you can sell this OLD(er) computer to someone!

Comment

Working...
                                          X