Toshiba Satellite A100-525 Power Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba Satellite A100-525 Power Issue

Toshiba Satellite A100-525 power indicator light disappears on pressing Power Button and voltages disappear except 4.5v on one pin of the battery terminal. Some like L9 shorts to ground and otherwise; capacitors - C340, C371, C98 short to ground, on-board and off-board. Please experts in the house, assist me pin down the fault. See schematic attached.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vettouch; 06-24-2022, 04:05 AM. Reason: typo error and inclusion of schematic

Re: Toshiba Satellite A100-525 Power Issue

Hi.

1) Where are C340, C371 caps ?

2) How are you measuring to find the shorts on the caps ?

3) What is the history of the unit ? Liquid damage ? Using original power supply ?

4) C98 = 0.022uf and will not be missed if left off the board. Are you checking with a resistance across the pins ? What is the scale being used on your meter ?

5) Consider to remove all power -> meter in resistance scale (start with the lowest) -> check the resistance to ground of each coil (large grey in color); 2 legs; inductors.

List the inductors and the resistance to ground when found.

6) Study page 5 of the posted schematic.

Voltage of +VADPTR ?

voltage @ Fuse 502, check both pins.

U511 (charger IC), ACDET pin voltage ? This must be > 2.4 volts to identify the external power adapter is capable of powering this logic board.

voltage @ fuse 503, check both pins.

Comment

@mon2. Thanks alot for your efforts in assisting me resolve my pc issue. After I read your comments, I had thorough observation of the motherboard I have issues about and discovered that the board labeling does not tally with the schematic in some areas. For instance, I couldn't find F502, F303 and U511 on the board. And I ask, is the schematic I'm working with the one for my uploaded board screenshot? Please, assist me further, Veteran.
      Attached Files

Comment

Board is "San Antonio 10E" (AMD chipset) not "San Antonio 10" (Intel chipset).
        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

@piernov. Your support helped me alot. I got the right schematic, though I wasn't able to get its boardview. However, I was lucky to figure out a faulty coil. I pulled another one off an old parked laptop board, and that was my saviour. The laptop is up and running as I speak. Many thanks, Super Moderator. Please, assist me in subsequent posts as I am a newbie!

Comment

@mon2. Your post in a big way assisted me find solution. Actually, I was wrong with the schematic I sent and you posted in regard. @piernov helped with clue to appropriate schematic for the laptop. VADPTR, ACDET were present. As I was checking the coils on your instruction, I discovered that L9 behaved differently. I pulled it off and replaced it with another I pulled off from another parked laptop board. Then, laptop responded. It's now up and running. Many thanks, veteran.

Comment

Working...
            X