Dell Inspiron 15 5567 unknown charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Inspiron 15 5567 unknown charger

Hello; so, i have this laptop; it came with battery charged only at 5%; when i plug in charger, led laptop is lightning white for 2 seconds, then it turn off and stay off.
    In bios, health of battery is excellent; charger is unknown.
    I test it with 3 dell oem chargers, all are ok.
    Laptop in rest is working perfectly.
    I upload schematics and picture with PS_ID flow; before PQ6 i have 3,1v, after PQ6 i have 3,6v. On pin 36 of UE1 i have also 3,6v.
    Laptop came with charger socket kind of ripped off, center plastic was missing. I changed with a new one.
    I suspect that UE1 gone bad on function to identification of charger, because motherboard has no protection, from factory, because PD4 is missing.
    And of course, PR4 have 33ohms.
    I charged the battery with power lab to aprox. 11,67v = 27% in bios, but no change, charger is seen as unknown.

What to do next, guys? Thank you.
    Attached Files

Re: Dell Inspiron 15 5567 unknown charger

that same problem as lenovo have. if u damage charger connector and 19V line touch to ID pin line, SIO chip will burn
    Last edited by ktmmotocross; 09-27-2021, 08:03 AM.

Comment

ok, i understand this; but, laptop is working perfect; only is not recognised the charger=not charging battery=in windows cpu speed is at low rate.
      I'll understand that if you touch +19v with id line, sio chip will burn, but this is my curiosity, if sio it's burnt, why laptop is still working perfect, beside charger problem...
      At Lenovo, in cases meet by me, if that happend, sio if burnt for good; if powering up, it become super hot, and mb will never be alive; not the case with this dell..
      Do you have any other clue?

Comment

Voltage reading with adapter attached and powered at:

PSID ?
        PSID-1 ?
        PSID-2 ?
        PSID-3 ?

Comment

Interesting find here...do you see a similar message about your external power adapter?

https://hclxing.wordpress.com/2014/0...power-adapter/

Are you using a true Dell adapter or a clone?

Comment

@mon2: thank you for your help, but you do NOT read my first post.
            - as i said, i use 3 OEM dell charger, oem=genuine, not clone
            - as for the readings, please see picture atached by me and in my first post i said:
            "before PQ6 i have 3,1v, after PQ6 i have 3,6v. On pin 36 of UE1 i have also 3,6v."

Comment

What is the power rating of this 'OEM charger' ?

Comment

Going by your readings, PS_ID comminication is perfect and is reaching SIO. So you mean to say you are getting 3.6V-both sides of PR4 and if so, that could be the issue as voltage should be max 3.33V here. I doubt PQ6 is bad. Try removing PQ6 and then put a jumper wire between S & D pins of PQ6. Do you get 3.3V on PR4 Now??

Comment

How did 3v1 on input to PQ6 become 3v6 on exit? I think PR3 is supplying the 3v6.

That was the reason for the questions that the OP did not answer.

Comment

@mcplslg123: I take down the PQ6, i put a jumper wire, still the same.
                    @mon2: you maybe are right, the PR3 on schematic have 2,2kohm, on mainboard have 1,95kohm; of course, on mainboard, i'm not take it down to measure exactly; but, it make sense that i have a higher voltage
                    OEM chargers that i have, 2 are 45watts and one 130watts
                    @all: saddly, because bad things get happend sometimes, because i think that my problem was related to signal PROCHOT(but that signal, i read it after that, is no where near my problem), i do many search here, on badcaps, i heating up the PU703, not to take it down, but just to resolder; and i burning it; right now, i don't have light on led at all, and when i put charger in socket, PU703 heating up baddly; after that, i take it down, i clean it up good and resolder; but still the same, it's getting very hot very fast; i don't imagine how it get burned that easy, but this is it.....i order another on aliexpress (i don't have much money), because i searched and this chip is puttit only in new mainboard, 7 and 8 generation intel cpu; and i don't have any defective motherboad with this chip.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                      Going by your readings, PS_ID comminication is perfect and is reaching SIO. So you mean to say you are getting 3.6V-both sides of PR4 and if so, that could be the issue as voltage should be max 3.33V here. I doubt PQ6 is bad. Try removing PQ6 and then put a jumper wire between S & D pins of PQ6. Do you get 3.3V on PR4 Now??
                      So, just to learn, in SIO, PS_ID have to have exactly 3,3volts?

Comment

hi @c.daniel. Believe to understand what may be going on here.

No. As originally posted, this 3,3 volts is most likely due to the local pull-up @ PR3.

The HP chargers are analog in nature and use resistors as voltage divider, the ID pin on the adapter emits an analog voltage. The EC than uses an analog-to-digital convertor to sample this voltage and then decides the power rating of the mated power adapter.

Unable to locate any such detail for the DELL adapter. Rather, review the very good article linked earlier that identifies that DELL (like Apple) uses the Dallas Semiconductor 1-wire protocol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-Wire

https://hackaday.com/2014/03/03/hack...dentification/

The 1-wire protocol is a bidirectional communication interface that allows for your EC and the external adapter to chat and exchange vital digital packets.

The gateway between the logic board and the external adapter is the mosfet PQ6 which is the reason I have asked for the voltages in the list posted earlier. Only once we know these voltages can we determine if the mosfet is OPEN or CLOSED (acts like a bidirectional switch / solid-state relay). Suspecting that the mosfet is OPEN. In 1-wire communication, there is a definied low but no logic high. Instead, the communication line (PS_ID) is high impedance so an external resistor (PR3 on your logic board) defines the soft high level = 3v3.

Seems like you have other repair issues now that must be resolved first but stick with the highest power adapter (130W is good). The 45W is too low to power your logic board AND charge the battery.

The EC must be able to communicate to the PS_ID pin to send out digital commands (that the author referenced above documented) and the Dell branded adapter must send back replies along with a valid CRC (math operation to confirm that the original packet has not been tampered with). If all of this hand shake goes well, your logic board will not complain and allow for the charging and use for your box.

So back to the issue:

1) there are many clone 'OEM chargers' on the market. If your chargers work with other Dell laptops then it is ok to move forward using these power adapters (130W only is recommended).

2) the PS_ID communicates via the PQ6 mosfet being closed. Suspecting that this mosfet is NOT closed. You can power down; meter in resistance mode.

Check and post the resistance for the following:

Source & Drain
                        Source & GATE
                        GATE & Drain

for PQ6.

3) Still interested in the original requested voltages surrounding PQ6 so we can determine if the mosfet should open or close. Use the 130W adapter.

If it is not safe to power on this logic board - wait till you have repaired the other faults.

4) Using some inexpensive tools & a Windows box -> you can sniff the 1-wire protocol @ PS_ID using the Saleae bus analyzer (or one of the many clones from Aliexpress).
                        Last edited by mon2; 09-28-2021, 09:09 AM.

Comment

@mon2: thank you very much for information; i read, and i'll read again to fully understand; i'll be back to you, eventually with more question/s;
                          - when i say i use oem chargers, i want to say that i use only genuine chargers (i think word "oem" is use wrong by me); those 2 of 45watts was one came with the laptop and one with another dell laptop(with windows problems); the 130 watts is genuine dell, and in very good shape, is new model, with blue led in jack, slim design, and i use when i want to be sure that charger is 100% ok
                          - this laptop, is write on bottoncase, need a 65watts charger (in reality, it came with 45watts ... because laptop + charger is second hand)
                          - mon2, have a good day, man.

Comment

check to see if one of these is burned or shorted. if so remove it.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by c.daniel View Post
                              AFAIK, yes it should be 3.3V on dell laptops measured at sio pin.

Comment

hello, i have the same problem, i haven't found a solution yet, can anyone solve the problem?

Comment

What are the specifics of your problem ? Which logic board ? Which charger ? Can you link the schematic ?

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                                    What are the specifics of your problem ? Which logic board ? Which charger ? Can you link the schematic ?
                                    the device does not recognize the charging adapter and the battery is not charging it works very slowly original adapter tried pq5 pq6 changed pr4 pr6 pr8 pr4 checked all good I/0 changed bios tried but no result PSID VOLTAGE 2.58
                                    Last edited by egelaptop; 02-12-2022, 01:39 AM.

Comment

usta pq6 yı değiş düzelir.

Comment

Translated...

change master pq6 and fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X