No announcement yet.

New Super Capacitor 5v DC Battery Spot Welder with a 12 volt power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Super Capacitor 5v DC Battery Spot Welder with a 12 volt power supply

Now I going to somewhat reverse engineer the mosfet section of this if I can read the part number on the mosfets array because I two 5 volt @ 50 amp switching power supply that I would like to see if it can work with a couple of computer grade capacitors that though might not get very far but you never know

I bought these two 5 volt @ 50 amp switching power supply surplus a couple of years ago because they were just about giving them away with the price they had on them but the company that I bought them from was playing games because they only allowed you to buy one per order per day and the sale only lasted a day but they ran this sale twice a couple of weeks apart so when I saw the second time of course I bought a second one

The plan is to use a couple of buck converters to charge the computer grade capacitors and I saw eBay seller awhile back offering the capacitor boards with out the capacitors but I have to look an see if I can find them again
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-08-2023, 06:18 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I have to start using this setup and start welding some battery cells together and make a few battery packs
      Ons note I going to take one of these units and put it in one of my old battery welding machines that was electric transformer version and set it up so that I have enough time to get the battery cell in the right place to be welded because holding the tabbing and the welding probes I need three hands which I do not have

I will come back with some pictures of it when I have done this modification and do a write up about how well it works
      The comments about the switching power supply that I just recently bought that have issues that I wrote about in another post I going to see if I can possibly use one to power this capacitor discharge battery tabbing welder and set the buck converter to maybe 2 amps the only unknown is how fast can you safely charge this type of capacitors if anyone knows please feel free to give your thoughts or suggestions on this topic
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-09-2023, 12:56 AM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
      X