This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESR meter upgrades

no, you need the header because the chip is surface-mount.

i can build the files for you.
    the regular ones are for 8MHz at the moment for some reason.

Comment

Hi that will be great if you can build the files i need all what im waiting for is the ic too come now

Comment

can you compare the board to the schematic in the pdf and see if it has a voltage reference like an lm431 or just a zener diode on pin27.
        if it is a zener then upgrade it to an lm4040 from my RS links.

also, does it power on when you hit the button, or is it one of the ones that is on as long as the battery is connected?

last question:
        is the lcd 2x16, or 2x20 ?
        Last edited by stj; 07-04-2016, 01:17 PM.

Comment

screen 24.6 mm by 73 mm powers on when i press the switch and there is defently a zener on the board location d1 and i did order two lm4040 so alls good there.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by vinceroger69; 07-04-2016, 01:51 PM.

Comment

about the screen, i meant the characters, not physical size

D1 is not a zener - i cant see any trace on pin27 - got any foto's of the underside?
            it may not even have a reference - cheap bastards.
            if that is the case, you also need a small 2k2 1% resistor.
            Last edited by stj; 07-04-2016, 02:14 PM.

Comment

nothing on the back its covered with a white plastic sheet so cant see nothing this thread
              http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/75/
              the one by kubi48
              has really good info ive just found it may help us out and how do i tell what size the characters are?
              Last edited by vinceroger69; 07-04-2016, 02:34 PM.

Comment

not the size, just count them - how many across a line!

Comment

2x16 sorry stj its been one of those days

Comment

see, not so hard!

Comment

i was just thinking about that old character display.
                      once the main board is upgraded, want to upgrade the display too?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311500898933

Comment

I have got a spare original type lcd with a blue backlight but never fitted it although your link does seem a better option though, stj what are the mounting point things called the pins with plastic on that you solder on to the lcd pcb that then pushes into the connector on the main pcb i looked yesterday but cant find nothing listed.

Comment

the pins are 2.54mm pinstrips,
                          the sockets are sold at rapid, but i cant remember the name - i do have a few though from a repair job.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                            the pins are 2.54mm pinstrips,
                            the sockets are sold at rapid, but i cant remember the name - i do have a few though from a repair job.
                            Thanks just found some on ebay now and once all my parts come i will update my 2016 version tester first and then modify my old tester as and when i have time etc im just waiting for the usb programer to come now then i will need the latest update files for the 2016 tester if you have a link many thanks again stj.

Comment

i will build one when you get the hardware together.

Comment

thankyou as you know this is the kit i got from ebay i beleive the ic is totally blank so will need all the files im new too all this programing stuff but i get theres is some type of eeprom files? that boot the tester up backlight font size etc then the added files to test diffrent componets etc with new updates to make it work more acurate and add more functions.

Comment

it's a flash file and an eeprom file.
                                  flash holds the software, eeprom is used to store fonts & stuff.

Comment

can you work out the wiring on the lcd connector for me,
                                    trace it back to the chip pins.

Comment

stj with this spare meter the 2x16 screen one, i think the modifications i will do just do is swop for the blue backlight lcd i have already and add the 16 mhz crystal and 2 capacitors and remove D1 and swop it with the lm4040 also change the main ic for the larger capacity one im waiting for and add the header to program it all , as this is only going to be a spare meter.

Comment

no, d1 is power related - leave it alone.

you fit the lm4040 with a 2k2 1% resistor.
                                        look in your pdf.

btw, if you fit a blue display you may need to change the resistor driving the backlights - blue leds use a higher voltage than green ones.

Comment

ok so D1 i wont touch
                                          is this the section you mean in the pdf ?
                                          The additional 2:5V
                                          precision voltage reference connected at pin PC4 (ADC4) can be used to
                                          check and calibrate the VCC voltage, but is not required. You can use a LM4040-AIZ2.5 (0.1%), a
                                          LT1004CZ-2.5 (0.8%) or a LM336-Z2.5 (0.8%) as voltage reference. If you don't install the precision
                                          voltage reference and you don't add the relay extension, you should install a pull up resistor R16 to
                                          PC4 with a higher resistance value (47k). This helps the software to detect the missing voltage
                                          reference. A optional ISP connector has been added to easier load new software versions to the tester.

Edit! im going too take some good pictures later of my pcb that way if you have a few spare minutes can you highlite what i need to change just so i get it right in fitting the LM4040 and the resistor thanks stj
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by vinceroger69; 07-07-2016, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X