This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESR meter upgrades

Thanks for testing the files per hansson i wonder if its worth now updating the eevblog thread with the information and picture stj found regarding the screen and ribbon connections.

Comment

Would be interesting if you could test them too, since we know your programmer works.
      As I don't have a working chip I obviously can't be 100% sure there isn't something else wrong with mine...

Btw, you said you can't read the firmware from your working pre-programmed Atmega chip, but can you read how the fuses are set on it?
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

i'm starting to wonder if they sent you a fucked chip rather than a blank one!

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
          Would be interesting if you could test them too, since we know your programmer works.
          As I don't have a working chip I obviously can't be 100% sure there isn't something else wrong with mine...

Btw, you said you can't read the firmware from your working pre-programmed Atmega chip, but can you read how the fuses are set on it?
          i will give it a try and see if it says anything in the fuse settings

Comment

ive just reinstalled the programmer on a new windows 10 install it still has no data when read all ff but in fuses says
            low f9
            high d9
            extended fuse ff
            lock bit byte fc
            and with two of your files ive tried so far stj just a blank screen on one and the text the same a per hansson with the other
            Last edited by vinceroger69; 07-15-2016, 12:47 PM.

Comment

madires has sent this reply though eevblog
              Originally posted by madires
              Based on the picture of the LCD module it should be a ST7920, In Karl-Heinz' documentation the ST7920 is stated as "serial" with only three I/O pins (REST = PD0 / B0 = PD2 / EN = PD5). The ST7920 got Reset, CS, SID and CLK, but they got different functions in parallel interface mode. I think the best idea is to check the source code for the functions of the three I/O pins and then to adapt the port pins to match the hardware. You might need to add some code to drive the CS.
              so not sure if any of you guys can do the coding he mentions?
              Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-16-2016, 03:01 AM. Reason: Added quote tags

Comment

This firmware works but display is upside down and inverted:
                https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topi...270706#4270706

This firmware works, display is also oriented correctly. But no MakeFile is included.
                https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topi...278544#4278544
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

This firmware works but display is upside down and inverted:
                  https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topi...270706#4270706

This firmware works, display is also oriented correctly. But no MakeFile is included.
                  https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topi...278544#4278544
                  i will copy this over too the eevblog thread and see if someone can modify them for us

Comment

im new to this coding stuff so i guess the makefile is what the tester can test and values etc?

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                      im new to this coding stuff so i guess the makefile is what the tester can test and values etc?
                      No it's just what is needed to know _why_ that specific firmware works.
                      I.e. it's the compilation options that the firmware is built from.

The source code itself is the same for all meters, it's just different options used in the makefile for what gets enabled, type of monitor, crystal, etc etc etc.
                      And of course the source code is constantly evolving, that's why new options etc can be added in later builds.

Comment

Thankyou for explaining that at least your getting somewhere now in finding the firmware that works and at least it proves your atmega ic is good as its being programmed ok as you say its just finding the rite version etc but your making progress.

Comment

Which fuse settings are you using? i may try tomorrow to program mine just to see if i my programer is working ok.

Comment

test this then.
                            Attached Files

Comment

if per hansson dosnt try it before me i will try it in the morning stj thanks again for helping getting these testers working.

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                                Which fuse settings are you using? i may try tomorrow to program mine just to see if i my programer is working ok.
                                I used the standard fuse settings: Low:0xF7, High:0xD9, Ext:0xFC
                                (I just wanted to test your original fuse settings on the "Original.zip" firmware the eBay seller sent me but it was just the same...)

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                test this then.
                                It showed one scrolling line of text like your others, this time it was a bit better contrast and maybe thicker fonts, or just slower, difficult to say...

Comment

I used the standard fuse settings: Low:0xF7, High:0xD9, Ext:0xFC
                                  (I just wanted to test your original fuse settings on the "Original.zip" firmware the eBay seller sent me but it was just the same...)

It showed one scrolling line of text like your others, this time it was a bit better contrast and maybe thicker fonts, or just slower, difficult to say...
                                  Thanks i will try mine in the morning with the two links you posted earlier.

Comment

then try both of these.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

vince - on your working one.
                                      hold the encoder down to get into the menu,
                                      then go to the contrast setting and find the best value for it.

Comment

40 shows the best imaage on the panel
                                        slightly of topic but whats the variable resistor on the pcb for?

Comment

input sensitivity for the frequency counter mode.

check page 13 section 2.2.4 of the pdf

Comment

Working...
                                          X