Too many 16 bit programs running error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many 16 bit programs running error

After installing Java Runtime, I have some strange errors on some of my computers. Windows Explorer becomes unresponsive and then strange message pops up claiming that too many 16 bit programs are running.
    There aren't any 16 bit programs on these computers. The OS is Windows 7 x86 SP1 fully updated. There aren't any 16 bit programs running, nor installed. No active instances of NTVDM or anything like this. Seems like it's a problem with UAC/consent.exe/ when trying to elevate the execution of certain programs. But the information about the issue is scarce. Is there anybody around here who has encountered this issue?
    Last edited by televizora; 03-29-2021, 09:33 AM.
    Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
    1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Re: Too many 16 bit programs running error

i wouldnt be so sure about a lot of windows subsystems!

Comment

After some searching the only clue is that this is due to a bug in consent.exe.
      This executable is responsible for the elevation of a program after UAC asks for credentials. There are many similar questions in the Internet about this, but no actual fixes. For some older systems like WindowsVista, recommended action is to uninstall certain update for consent. But this is Windows7 x86 SP1 fully updated from Microsoft.com. There aren't any such updates to uninstall.
      My issue is that after I try to run Java Runtime as admin, the UAC prompt shows, I enter credetentials, but after this nothing happens. Neither Java Runtime setup starts, nor there is error message. And Explorer becomes unresponsive. When I try to restart the PC, this message appears.
      Last edited by televizora; 03-29-2021, 12:01 PM.
      Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
      1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Yeah that is what my research turned up too, though relating to other programs

Maybe you could install 7 on another system temporarily and copy consent in safe mode
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
        X