Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Antec EA-430D 5VSB issue

Originally posted by stj View Post
    maybe it should have something faster in parallel - like a polyester brick.
    You have a way with words! Maybe polypropylene? I'm pretty sure I've seen film caps in parallel with the big lytics in some PSUs.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

they are lego bricks filled with metalised polyester - the description was valid

Comment

Just wanted to give an update to let everyone know that the power supply is now fixed.

Ultimately the main issue was the main 450V ( 270uf Aishi) cap. I replaced it with a Rubicon MXK 450V 390uf. And i replaced the TNY278 IC ( blown due to bad main cap). Now the 5VSB works and the power supply runs without issue.

Thanks again for everyone's helpful comments and insight. I learned a lot and now have a deeper understanding of how it works. And would not got this far without the help to theorize and understand what was happening.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rgyver2 View Post
          Just wanted to give an update to let everyone know that the power supply is now fixed.

Ultimately the main issue was the main 450V ( 270uf Aishi) cap. I replaced it with a Rubicon MXK 450V 390uf. And i replaced the TNY278 IC ( blown due to bad main cap). Now the 5VSB works and the power supply runs without issue.
          Awesome! Great to hear your PSU is working again!
          And that Ruby 450V/390u should provide much better hold up time (from the larger capacity) in addition to lasting longer, as it should be capable of higher ripple current.

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
          I'm pretty sure I've seen film caps in parallel with the big lytics in some PSUs.
          I've only seen ceramics. But even those will help!

That said, I did put film P.P. caps (2.2 uF, 450V) in a few PSUs with APFC that I've repaired. Not sure if that will help and for how long (as these PSUs haven't been put back to permanent use again, yet.) Hopefully, we will see... or not?

Originally posted by stj View Post
          they are lego bricks filled with metalised polyester - the description was valid
          *Ahen* I believe LEGO bricks are made of ABS plastic.
          (Sorry, but as a former "Lego nerd", I had to include this correction here. )
          Also, polypropylene might be a better choice than polyester, as the former usually has more consistent specs/characteristics over a much wider range of frequencies.

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
          if not, i'd be shitting in my pants everytime i powered on a system with an apfc psu!
          In all honesty, I always hesitate to press the power button on my PCs that have PSUs with APFC (especially the ones that still have cheap caps or just 400V caps) - just kind of anticipating a big bang some day.
          Last edited by momaka; 05-10-2021, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X