Garbage Find: Asus ET2203T - T9900 & Memory Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garbage Find: Asus ET2203T - T9900 & Memory Upgrade

I actually scored this a couple weeks ago, I just finally got around to mentioning it. Was driving down the drag headed into town, was garbage day and noticed a box for an all-in-one PC next to some garbage cans. The only thing that caught my eye enough to make me look closer was some cords sticking out the top....If those cords weren't there, I'd have never stopped.

Anyway, its an Asus ET2203 EEE PC, 2.2GHZ C2D cpu, 4gb ram, mint shape with a 22" screen! House looks like older people live there, system didn't have a single scratch on it. Box said manufactured in Oct 2010, it was barely over a year old. Box had the wireless KB, wireless mouse, Windows 7 disk, external PSU, and the friggin manual in it.... SCORE!!! The cords sticking out were the PSU cords.

Got it home, POST's up, but no boot. BIOS shows no HDD. HDD was bad (500gb 5400rpm seagate, wont even spin up). Replaced it, reloaded it, upgrading it to XP Pro x64, and my office machine of 7 years that was dying has now been replaced.

Anyway, I love stupid people!! I use the wireless mouse, as its quite comfy...the wireless keyboard kinda sucks though, it has no number pad, and the keys are really small....so I use my trusty old Logitech backlit keyboard.

Attached Files
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Most recent garbage find....

Lucky mofo 'gratz on the good find!

Comment

Not bad, although I hate AIOs
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Warning TC!...LOL Your office is just too clean. This can be a sign of mental illness. Nice find.
        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
        Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          Anyway, its an Asus ET2203 EEE PC, 2.2GHZ C2D cpu, 4gb ram, mint shape with a 22" screen!
          Good find, but you have to wonder why they tossed it instead of replacing the drive. It could be that they just aren't technical enough to consider that possibility and "broken is broken". Unfortunately I can think of another reason they might not have bothered, here's the heads up...

Hopefully ASUS AIO quality has improved, but there is a fellow at work who has a 2-3 year old ASUS AIO and that thing has issues. For no known reason it has ended up with a corrupted internal disk several times. I only know about this because I helped him reinstall Windows on it the time the disk was so screwed up it could not be recovered by any other method. Even though every three or four months it corrupts the internal disk, it passes all the diagnostics we ran on it, and the SMART tests came back clean, so the problem was not the disk itself. Most of these events can be resolved by running the Windows disk repair tools. He keeps his data on an external disk now. So far no problem with the external disk. So my guess is that his AIO has some sort of intermittent driver or hardware issue related to the disk controller.

Comment

^
            Thanks for the heads-up. It originally had Win7 on it, I changed it over to winXP x64. I haven't had any troubles out of it yet, the drivers seemed pretty easy to find (apparently there was an Asus laptop that used the same chipset). The only difficult driver to find was the radeon mobile driver for xp64...but I found one that worked.

I'll definitely keep an eye on thing, it's been in use for a few weeks so far...and no problem. I also researched this as much as I could, and never found any such references to the problem for this model, or even any model. What model was he running? It may have been an isolated incident...
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

no offense but.. LUCKY B@STARD!
              I never ever find stuff this new/recent let alone in near-mint condition or with accessories

Specs look decent too.. the only thing that would throw me off would be that f*ckin glossy display.

Whoever invented those or made them popular deserves to be shot
              If i wanted to look at a mirror I'd go into the bathroom for frigs sake..

Comment

Lucky SOB!

Comment

I'm with Scenic on glossy displays. I despise them. When I look at a screen, I want to see the picture on the screen and nothing else, not my reflection or that of everything on my desk.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I'm sorry but XP is NOT an upgrade to Windows 7

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
                      don't question the badcaps guru

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
                        Of course it's not an upgrade. It's a significant upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                          no offense but.. LUCKY B@STARD!
                          I never ever find stuff this new/recent let alone in near-mint condition or with accessories

Specs look decent too.. the only thing that would throw me off would be that f*ckin glossy display.

Whoever invented those or made them popular deserves to be shot
                          If i wanted to look at a mirror I'd go into the bathroom for frigs sake..
                          it was apple with the aluminum iMac.

the idea was to try to go to more "natural" materials like aluminm and glass as opposed to the polycarbonate. the move began with the aluminum G5, moving to the iPods and and then the iMac.

part of this was the glossy screen, designed to look like glass, not plastic. this goes back to the iphone, using chemically modified glass that supposedly is stronger than most clear plastic. people liked the look over the traditional plastic phone screen, hence the move to glossy screens

---

what is even more interesting is what makes glossy screens glossy. It regards the refractive index of the material. the refractive index regards the speed that light travels through the material, with denser things slowing down light more and therefor having a a higher refractive index.

the second part is that whenever light changes materials, it will bend at a rate equivalent to the angle of attack (0 degrees being perpendicular) and the difference of the two materials refractive indexes. this occurance is why prisms work and why the straw in a glass of water trick works. this is also why it is somewhat easy to tell the difference between glass vs poly-carbonate (lexan) vs acrylic (plexiglass) just by looking at it.

what happens with dense things like glass is the refractive indexes of the material and the air are so different that the light will bend so much on the back side of the material that it will actually turn around and appear to reflect back. this is why glossy screens are glossy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractive_index
                          Last edited by ratdude747; 12-06-2011, 06:39 PM.
                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

^
                            The screen is glass, not lexan or plastic. I don't really care for it either....but I'll live with it.

Ohh, and no....XP isn't an upgrade to Win7, its a GODSENT!!
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

^ On LCD panels, they just leave the outermost diffusing plastic foil off.

You can make almost any matte LCD screen glossy by carefully peeling the antiglare-diffuser off after soaking it with lots of water.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1564504

Thing is: who would want to? The other way around would be much more interesting *looks over to my netbook*

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                ^
                                The screen is glass, not lexan or plastic. I don't really care for it either....but I'll live with it.

Ohh, and no....XP isn't an upgrade to Win7, its a GODSENT!!
                                exactly, hence making it glossy.
                                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

just dont remove the polariser sheet.then you will need special glasses to use it!
                                  great prank.looking at a white screen typing away gets all sorts of strange looks.have one at the shop done up.
                                  Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                                  ^ On LCD panels, they just leave the outermost diffusing plastic foil off.

You can make almost any matte LCD screen glossy by carefully peeling the antiglare-diffuser off after soaking it with lots of water.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1564504

Thing is: who would want to? The other way around would be much more interesting *looks over to my netbook*

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                    just dont remove the polariser sheet.then you will need special glasses to use it!
                                    great prank.looking at a white screen typing away gets all sorts of strange looks.have one at the shop done up.
                                    http://www.instructables.com/id/Priv...d-LCD-Monitor/

Comment

That is neat! I always thought the polarizing screen was built into the TFT and can't be taken off. But now that I know...
                                      *looks at the box with the old Pentium II laptops* .

Comment

Yes, bumped a 5yr old thread only to update it... The HDD in this machine died again a couple months ago...I finally got around to fixing it. I replaced it with a SATA SSD this go-round. It also uses soDIMM's. I got curious and replaced the 2x 2GB modules with 2x 4GB modules, just to see if it could run that much...all the official online documentation says 4gb is the max. Well, they lied. 8gb runs flawlessly. I also abandoned WinXP on it and went with win7 pro, as the BIOS is SLIC'd. I was using this machine in my workroom...but when the HDD did the click of death, I replaced it with a Zotac Nano I320 fanless micro box & monitor, which will stay in place. This one will be re-appropriated for something else.

The 8gb of ram & SSD with a nicely tweaked win7 install, it runs very nice.

<----- Posted from this 5yr old trash can find!

Attached Files
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                        X