Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio M50-C1 ~ Fix (Explained)

Hello all ~

Just had success in fixing up a Vizio M50-C1 that was showing the following signs / behaviors:

1) No backlights
    2) 16 blink code followed by five consecutive rounds of 13 blinks each with about a minute and a half in between each
    3) Power supply had appropriate voltages, even if they were momentary before they quickly began to drop off
    4) Pulling out the connector leading from Main Board to T-Con changed nothing
    5) Pulling out the two ribbon cables (left and then right) leading from the T-Con to the panel itself changed nothing.

I've seen this type of thing before, if not the exact symptoms on a 65" Vizio. The answer to that was baking the Main Board at 385 degrees for 10 minutes. So, I gave that another go here on this 50" Vizio model.

Long story short .... it worked. Perfectly. Been watching the set for about 8 hours now in the aftermath and it looks like brand new.

The other point I want to share here is that this Vizio M50-C1 Main Board had quite a few capacitors and other sensitive chips and components on it. I was debating whether I should desolder them all before the baking and decided that, instead, I was going to wrap them all in aluminum foil (double-layered the foil on all of the pieces I thought might be negatively affected by the heat).

The very good news is that not only did the baking process bring the Main Board and the entire set back to life, but that none of the capacitors showed any sign of bulging or degradation when I pulled it out of the oven. Same was true of all of the other components as well.

I can't guarantee this will work every time on every Main Board, but it saved a great amount of time desoldering and soldering back in on this particular board. Definitely will try it again if a similar situation arises.

Just remember to double-up the aluminum foil layers and maybe even triple if you are unsure. And, for those who have never done this before, it is a good idea to put the board in before the oven pre-heats all the way up to 385 to give it time to "warm up" to the new environment and it's critically important to let the board sit in the oven for at least 20 minutes (I usually do 40 - 45 minutes) after the timer goes off so that all of the various solder points that have reflowed have a completely adequate amount of time to harden and solidify again before any movement of the board occurs.

Note: Wrap up four spheres of the aluminum foil and use these ball-shapes to put into the four corners of the board before baking. And, always provide yourself with proper ventilation as the fumes can and will get somewhat intense.

Bon appetit !!!

Re: Vizio M50-C1 ~ Fix (Explained)

Don't put boards in your kitchen ovens people, you don't want that shit in your food.

Comment

That's true. This is best done in a dedicated toaster oven or the like that serves no other purpose.

Comment

It's been discussed multiple times that this method will not last long

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76708

Comment

Working...
          X