Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phonic MAX 860 clip / no output

Hi,
    Does anyone have experience of this amp? I've spent ours trying to repair this amp!
    I have several Phonic MAX 860 amplifiers and they ALL have the same problem, more or less!
    This is the thing:
    If I haven't been using the amplifier for a while it goes in to a "no output/clip mode".

I'll try to explain:
    When I power on the amplifier everything seems to be Ok. I connect a 8 ohm dummy load to the outputs. All still Ok.
    I connect inputs to a signal source and play some music on low volume and everything is still Ok.
    But when I increase the volume a bit, (at least) one channel goes in to some kind of "very very weak distorded output mode". The peak led I lighting and the output turns of (almost).
    Now I have to turn down the volume and wait a while. Sometimes it "comes back" pretty quick and sometimes I have to wait several minutes or longer.
    If I repeat this a few times, and carefully increase the volume until the amplifier goes in to clip (max output), the amplifier works perfectly!
    Now I can play forever and drive it to clip constantly without any problems at all! I can turn off and on and play. All Ok. I can leave it powered off a few days and power on and use it and it works perfectly!
    Now, if I don't use it for, say a month or so, I'm back where I started, i.e. the amplifier goes in to "protection mode" again and I have so "soften it up" again.
    There is no loose contacts or noisy sound anywhere. No scratching sound in the potentiometers at all. When it work, it works 100%

If you know about this or have experience about similar problems, please help!
    If you don't, please don't try to guess!
    Read this thread instead:
    https://music-electronics-forum.com/...-repair/46505-

Service manual can be found here: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...08af00aa0a.pdf

/Chrille
Working...
X