Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another KDL-40W600B

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
    Don't sing victory, the fault will come back, there is an intermittent faulty led i guess.
    Umm, how did you know? Yesterday all LEDs lit and stayed on almost 20 minutes until a power save shutdown.

Today, after careful reassembly of the panel I'm back to green/amber blinks ...."panel id mismatch". And no display-1 second to black.

Last edited by steves7839; 10-14-2020, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by steves7839 View Post
      Success! All LED strips worked separately under test. I sprayed all connections with contact cleaner and powered up the TV. Backlights and green status LED come on and stay on.
      ����
      Ok, my bad, I thought you fixed it.

Comment

Never heard a recent TV repaired with contact cleaner..

You can try to use the tv at limit until leds no more lit up so you will have a steady short and can locate well the faulty led.
        Last edited by Davi.p; 10-15-2020, 02:25 AM.

Comment

I put this TV on a long hiatus so I could focus on other hobbies like nail gun repair and carpentry.

To address the unknown quality of the TV's symptom I recently bought a used kit consisting of every board, harness and LED strip, even a stand. $105! Replacing the PS, Main and Tuner boards with those from the set immediately brought the TV to life.
          After a few days to let it update, burn-in and function correctly I will consider the risk of testing the original and purchased boards I already have, one by one.

I worry that a failure on a bad board, when installed into the working set, might destroy one of its good neighbors. Has this ever occurred while swap-testing Sony TV boards?
          Last edited by steves7839; 12-20-2020, 07:31 PM.

Comment

The only board to check before board swapping is the PSU.
            But you does not give enough trust to the forum members...
            I'm sad sometimes to read of DIY techs that buys boards with no logic..
            105$ on a 40" is too much since you already bought a baxl..
            that could subtract a chance to other users that needs by force a substitute board..
            I think that following logic of the posts you still have a bad intermittent led problem, so it's a matter of time and your tv will shut down again..
            better spend money on new led bars..
            when you test leds, without anything on top of leds chassis, put a heavy blanket on it and do some hours of testing, input an antenna signal so tv won't power save shut down, if you see BL die again maybe you find the bad led..

Comment

"105$ on a 40" is too much since you already bought a baxl.."

I would agree. I chose to shotgun the entire board set to get a fresh start. The set came with everything inside the chassis including the LED strips and base I wanted. What turns out to be unused I can recoup by reselling.

My question for today is: now that I have a working chassis, do I take a significant risk of damaging the working boards by testing the suspect PS, BAXL, or tuner boards by substitution in the working chassis? (One at a time and using antistatic protection, of course.)
              Last edited by steves7839; 01-01-2021, 02:25 PM.

Comment

i repeat: The only board to check before board swapping is the PSU.
                Therefore you start by swappng mainboards, then PSU.. no risks

Comment

Now that I've started using the TV, it's apparent the LED's are visible through the picture. I have reduced brightness, white and black levels, contrast, etc to zero without getting rid of the bright spots. I also reset display settings to factory levels. They are dimmer behind darker pictures and stand out clearly behind white.
                  I did remove all LED strips for testing during the troubleshooting process, and all tested good with a strip tester. I believe I marked all diffuser sheets for correct reinstallation.
                  Are the brights consistent with a diffuser in the wrong order? Have I overlooked any settings that could cause this?

The photo is the set showing my PC screen thru an HDMI cable. All inputs display the bright spots though.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by steves7839; 07-08-2021, 09:09 PM. Reason: Add detail

Comment

Seems that the shim pins of plastic are not been reseated, so the foils falls onto leds..

Comment

FYI- I have tested many led strips that all the led's will light up but if there is one weak one in the chain it will still trip a backlight error or emit a quick flash once its hooked back up to the power supply or led driver. Once I get the new led kit in the Tv it works fine. So even if they all light up don't be fooled, just replace all the strips or bars. You'll be glad you did.

Comment

Working...
                      X