Xilence 1200W. Keeps restarting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xilence 1200W. Keeps restarting

I have repaired a few PC PSUs before, but the problem has always been a broken Mosfet and blown capacitors fails. Now I am facing a PSU problem that I haven't seen before.

I have a Xilence 1200 PSU that had 4 broken capacitors on the 5V and 3,3V lines, and a faulty mosfet driver (A6069H). After replacing these components, the PSU starts up and turns on the fan providing all the correct voltages at the output, but shuts down after a second. when the output is low again (capacitor discharge, I guess), the PSU starts up again and repeats the whole process.

I think it has to be with some kind of overvoltage or overcurrent sensor, but I can't find the faulty component. I have also tried connecting a small 12V motor to the 12V output and I see that it keeps restarting but the motor turns (I guess I shouldn't try to connect an inductive load, but that's what I have...).

I uploaded some pics with a red circle/square over the replaced components.

I have no idea how to proceed. Any advice or hints would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Re: Xilence 1200W. Keeps restarting

Look for a capacitor that is around 10 to 50uf or could be a little higher than that is close to the switching power supply regulator ic chip ( that you have replaced already A6069H) and replace it even if looks ok and see if it makes a difference or not

There are some ATX switching power supply that require a load on either the 5 or 12 volt rail to work correctly so be aware of this as well use some automotive type head light bulbs would work better for this I done this myself

Or you could have a rail that is pulling to much current

Check with out power to board and see if you have a short on any of power supply rails with a ohm meter

I hope this helps you
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-30-2021, 07:34 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Thanks for replying!

There are 3 capacitors around the circuit and all of them are 35V. The values are 10uF, 40uF, 220uF. I have checked them with a multimeter and they are all ok but I have replaced them anyway and it doesn't work.

I have tested the power supply using a DC motor as a load but it doesn't work.... I will buy a car light to try it because I can't find a 12V resistive load that can handle a large amount of current. I have small bulbs that can draw around 80mA (I have also tested the PSU with one of these).

The Impedance at the output is:

12v - 60 Ohms
      3.3v - 94 Ohms
      5v - 42 Ohms
      5v VSB - 44 Ohms
      -12V - 570 Ohms

I'm not familiar with the impedance values of an ATX power supply, but it doesn't seem to be shorted. right?

Comment

Do the power supply rails have a power resistors on them because your ohm reading are a little low
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

I have tested the PSU using a motherboard and it still does the same...

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
          Do the power supply rails have a power resistors on them because your ohm reading are a little low
          Yes, it looks like it has SMD power resistors. I don't know their value because the "001" code doesn't seem to follow the standard (I'm confused). If I measure the resistance there, the multimeter shows 0.1 Ohms (the minimum resolution of my multimeter is 0.1 Ohms).

There is also a through-hole resistor near the rails that is very odd... I haven't seen a resistor with 2 gold bands in the 3rd and 4th position (photo attached). The value read with the multimeter is 2.2 Ohms. I guess it is ok.

I don't see any other power resistors near the rails.
          Attached Files

Comment

Did you replace the capacitors around the power supply regulator ic chip you can not check with a ohm meter you need to check them with an ESR meter
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

After some tests the power supply stopped working definitely. I checked the board again and noticed that 3 resistors were broken (R62, R74, R25), so I replaced them with 4.7 Ohm resistors (I didn't have SMD resistors of that size).After that, when I plugged in the power supply and turned it on, I heard a clicking sound and nothing .... After that, when I plugged in the power supply and turned it on, I heard a clicking sound and nothing .... I have not heard that clicking sound again.

I checked the diodes again but I don't see anything bad. I'm about to give up on this one.... I'm starting to think this PSU has more than one thing broken. I'm not sure if I broke something while checking it, but I don't think so.....

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
              Did you replace the capacitors around the power supply regulator ic chip you can not check with a ohm meter you need to check them with an ESR meter
              Yes, I replaced the 3 capacitors (I used nichicon). I checked them with an ESR multimeter. I use the Amprobe AM-570 which can measure capacitance.

PD: Sorry for the late reply. This is my hobby and I can only work on it during the weekend.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X