Pin chip bios broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pin chip bios broken

Hi, I wanted to try to remove the pass on the bios from HP Elitebook 845 G7, but when I unsoldered the "Winbond 25Q256JVEN" chip, a "GND" pin broke, so the chip no longer works (I tried to insert it in the programmer anyway, but it reads another chip). What should I do? Should I buy the same chip, like on aliexpress, and solder it back into the board? Thank you for your suggestion

Re: Pin chip bios broken

Post a picture of the ic with the broken pin.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
      Post a picture of the ic with the broken pin.
      I have attached the photo. thanks
      Attached Files
      Last edited by dariuxzy; 03-23-2023, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Attach a wire to the MIDDLE large pad under the chip - fairly confident (but not 100%) that this metal belly is also ground.

So in your reader, apply the soldered wire to your programmer tool's ground and test if it still works or not.

Update:

It is worth testing but also note the attached common footprint details for this WSON package.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mon2; 03-23-2023, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Attach a wire to the MIDDLE large pad under the chip - fairly confident (but not 100%) that this metal belly is also ground.

So in your reader, apply the soldered wire to your programmer tool's ground and test if it still works or not.

Update:

It is worth testing but also note the attached common footprint details for this WSON package.
          if it works and i edit the bin file by making the correct changes to remove the password, should i buy a new chip and write the bin edit file?

Update:
          being is a thermal pad and not being electrically connected to anything, it won't work anyway
          Last edited by dariuxzy; 03-23-2023, 08:32 AM.

Comment

I am not a bios guy (dog) but yes, do recommend that you purchase another fresh bios for this repair. Be sure that you purchase one with the exact part number.

You will need to post the full bin file contents in the bios section and request for the password removal. Someone will review and post a clean image for you.

Do review the datasheet to confirm if the bios is a low voltage (1v8) vs. 3v3 flash device. Respectively, you need to be sure your programmer can support the same voltage during the read / write process.

Comment

I am not a bios guy (dog) but yes, do recommend that you purchase another fresh bios for this repair. Be sure that you purchase one with the exact part number.

You will need to post the full bin file contents in the bios section and request for the password removal. Someone will review and post a clean image for you.

Do review the datasheet to confirm if the bios is a low voltage (1v8) vs. 3v3 flash device. Respectively, you need to be sure your programmer can support the same voltage during the read / write process.
              Being is a thermal pad and not being electrically connected to anything, it won't work anyway.
              so, if I buy a new "Winbond 25Q256JVEN" I will find nothing inside its bin file. What will I have to write?
              Last edited by dariuxzy; 03-23-2023, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Yes, it is a bit of a pickle.

1) you can post the request in the BIOS forum and hope that someone may have a bios image to offer.

2) see attached - is that a metal dot that could be the missing ground connection? If yes, with extreme care, you could try to drill away some of the plastic housing to allow enough space to solder back a wire for his connection.
                Attached Files

Comment

Yes, it is a bit of a pickle.

1) you can post the request in the BIOS forum and hope that someone may have a bios image to offer.

2) see attached - is that a metal dot that could be the missing ground connection? If yes, with extreme care, you could try to drill away some of the plastic housing to allow enough space to solder back a wire for his connection.
                  i found this. could it be it?
                  Attached Files

Comment

It is worth a try

Comment

It is worth a try
                      anyway, if it doesn't work and i buy a new chip, can i use the bin file of someone who already posted it to remove the password from anyone? (obviously already edited)

Comment

Yes you can.

Comment

Yes you can.
                          Ok, thanks. I will let you know

Comment

Working...
                          X