Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS P5KPL-AM.I bought caps with a big tolerance rate

Hello,

I have an ASUS P5KPL-AM board with swollen and leaky capacitors. Amazingly, it still works, but I'm guessing it won't be long before it doesn't so I'm looking to replace the capacitors. All that electrolyte is probably not good for the traces too.

Anyway. Every cap on that board that is 820uf 6.3v is swollen, so that issue is isolated to those specific caps. They're TK AWTY caps. Never heard of them but I suppose they're bad quality.

To replace them, I bought Rubycon ZLH capacitors with the exact same 820uf 6.3v spec. But when I went to test them today, they had a capacitance of 780uf. And that's because they have a capacitance tolerance of 20%.

Will this be okay? All of them are 780uf so I can't cherry pick good ones...

Re: ASUS P5KPL-AM.I bought caps with a big tolerance rate

Probably won't affect it. It isn't too far off in capacitance from the TK ATWY (TK being a subsidiary of OST btw) caps they installed originally on the mainboard.

I'd go ahead and replace them without worry.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Oh, yeah, I removed some of the old caps today and their capacitance had degraded to 640uf with an ESR of 4ohms. I'm surprised this thing was still functional.

That said, there is a bit of a problem, the solder in that board is very stiff and I can't suck it away easily. Even when I do, there are bits of it left within the holes and that prevents me from putting the new ones in. I tried reflowing it with fresh solder and flux but it isn't working hmm...

I can usually desolder no problem but sometimes I do encounter this issue. If anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate it.

Comment

Well it took hours to clean all that "stiff" solder but I eventually managed to do it with my Engineer SS-02 pump. I did damage one pad but the rest are OK. In hindsight, a hot air gun might have been best for this. I had to re-tin the pads to try and get old solder way too many times. But I don't got one of those.

Anyway, it works now, and no more weird behaviour. This was my first re-cap so I honestly wasn't sure it would turn on again

Comment

Working...
        X