iMac 21.5" RAM upgrade, now three beeps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iMac 21.5" RAM upgrade, now three beeps

Hey, got a 21.5" imac A1418 14,3. customer supplied ram upgrade but we get the three beeps indicating RAM problem. We then bought ram from OWC which is where we normally get mac ram, but same problem, the three beeps. CMOS battery was 2.88v, so we replaced. I've done many ram upgrades in these, and not sure what's going on. Any insight?

Re: iMac 21.5" RAM upgrade, now three beeps

Disconnect the headphone jack. Seen a shorted cap on this board across a 3.3V supply caused this problem for me.

Comment

Originally posted by reformatt View Post
      Disconnect the headphone jack. Seen a shorted cap on this board across a 3.3V supply caused this problem for me.
      Thank you - unfortunately, it isn't working.

Comment

Originally posted by survivalbloke View Post
        Hey, got a 21.5" imac A1418 14,3. customer supplied ram upgrade but we get the three beeps indicating RAM problem. We then bought ram from OWC which is where we normally get mac ram, but same problem, the three beeps. CMOS battery was 2.88v, so we replaced. I've done many ram upgrades in these, and not sure what's going on. Any insight?
        1 long-2 short bleeps? Take out the RAM and reinsert the RAM.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

If you are inserting known working RAM then you need to go through all the switched power rails to see if they are present. Some are often shorted like the headphone jack I mentioned earlier. Also check the pins of each RAM socket as well for debris or loose pins etc.

Comment

Working...
          X