Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuwi HeroBox blown components

Hi everyone,

I have a Chuwi HerBox that has a number of blown components that I am having difficulty identifying. No schematic available.

The fault is that the HDMI port does not really function properly, video looks shaky and has lines. The box boots fine on VGA, so I think the problem is isolated to the HDMI.

The section below is the only section that seems to have damage to three components.
    1. Blue Arrow = I think this was a capacitor (as it is connected to ground) that blew clean off the board.
    2. White Arrow = I think this is an inductor as it is inline, but is not giving any value with multimeter.
    3. Red Arrow = I think this is a fuse, but again is not giving any value with the multimeter.

This is what it looked like before I cleaned off the board with alcohol.

Attached Files
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-28-2023, 07:28 AM.

Re: Chuwi HeroBox blown components

What's on the other side? Or more preceisely -- where does the burned stuff going to?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-28-2023, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Here is both sides of the board.

On the image below, I've marked out the two ports in that area, and with the yellow line marked the path that the input voltage appears to take, across the missing capacitor (I presume), through a small inductor, and through a fuse. I've marked the known grounds on the board also.

Attached Files

Comment

Well here is my plan, doesn't mean it is correct, but this is what I would do.

This chip

GST5009
        LF
        2146G

We need to find schematics from some other device where this chip is used. Caps and resistors and other things that goes with this chip will be the same. Then we figure out what is blown and this way we would know the values.

For example: I'm not saying this example might give positive results. But ASUS n61vg uses this chip. Here is the boardview for it. If this does not give positive results, find some other schematic with this chip.

How you know where to look on schematic? You gotta see to which leg or which pin on the network connector the burned stuff goes to.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by u666sa; 05-29-2023, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Please attach pictures to your post directly (no link to external host) and post schematics/boardviews in the Schematics subsection.

This is for Ethernet, unrelated to HDMI, this damage is probably the result of a lightning strike.
          The GST5009 "chip" is the Ethernet transformer, they are all made in a similar fashion.

If HDMI port looks good, cable is good and it does the same on multiple monitors, the lightning strike may have traveled through HDMI too and damaged some stuff there such as TVS diodes, filters or the HDMI output of the SoC.
          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Working...
          X