Win7 Performance test stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win7 Performance test stops

I had a dodgy Molex Sata lead go bad that cause crashes once in a while, after repairing all is well with no crashing BUT.... Windows performance test stops. I get-:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: WinSAT.exe
    Application Version: 6.1.7601.17514
    Application Timestamp: 4ce798fc
    Fault Module Name: atiuxp64.dll
    Fault Module Version: 8.14.1.6463
    Fault Module Timestamp: 56254af6
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 000000000000dc14
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: 2769
    Additional Information 2: 2769594407f52209a804a6d1c0ed4d12
    Additional Information 3: 04bb
    Additional Information 4: 04bbe9907734487884969c6fb588dd95

So I did CMD scan as administrator for atiuxp64.dll here's the result-:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>dir "atiuxp64.dll" /s
    Volume in drive C has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is E6CE-2584

Directory of C:\Windows\system32

20/10/2015 04:57 166,488 atiuxp64.dll
    1 File(s) 166,488 bytes

Directory of C:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c7171099.inf_amd64_
    neutral_4e1498617e0336e7\B171094

18/04/2014 03:43 143,304 atiuxp64.dll
    1 File(s) 143,304 bytes

Directory of C:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c7295782.inf_amd64_
    neutral_f7a12ff154ea5754\B295612

20/10/2015 04:57 166,488 atiuxp64.dll
    1 File(s) 166,488 bytes

Total Files Listed:
    3 File(s) 476,280 bytes
    0 Dir(s) 207,387,811,840 bytes free

C:\Windows\system32>

I'm running Win 7 pro x64 with a AMD A6-5400K APU (Radian graphics), not crashed since running any programs but yet I can't complete the test.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Thanks Dave

Re: Win7 Performance test stops

Have you tried reinstalling your video driver? also try running SFC/scannow from an administrator command line

Comment

Thank you for quick reply, yes I've ran SFC and that came up clean, 'No violations found' or something like that. I never ever give the video driver a thought, thanks for that.
      I did down-load atiuxp64.dll from a link that was given on Microsoft help site for someone else with a similar problem, suppose no harm in trying that first I hung fire to hear from people with more knowledge than myself first.... maybe video's playing OK kinda 'foxed me'.

I'll get back after some shut-eye, by the way they are SSD drives, I'll do a clone job first so I've a spare drive. Many thanks, much appreciated. Dave

Comment

Video driver isn't playing nice. Use DDU in Safe Mode and rip the entire driver stack out, clean-install from known-good installation media, and try again.

Note: Cloning a DAMAGED install to a known-good drive will NOT fix the damage! You must perform a clean installation with a fresh filesystem in order to ensure that further corruption isn't lurking in the shadows.
        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

or just disable apu in device manager and run on basic drivers mode to check function

Comment

WinSAT.exe = Windows System Assessment Tool.

It basically measures your system's performance by running tests in the background and is what gives you your Windows Experience Index (that number that shows how good your PC is.) My guess is, when it tries to evaluate your built-in GPU, it crashes - either due to improper driver or possibly a hardware issue.

These AMD APUs (especially the mobile ones) may start to fail if they were ever ran at hight temperature or not cooled well. Another thing is, video memory is simply taken from the system memory. So if you have a bad RAM module, bad connection in one of the RAM slots, or bad BGA in CPU socket, this will cause errors and crashes with the GPU. Best bet is to run something like memtest first to check if your RAM is OK. But before doing that, also make sure your system's cooling is up to snuff. Bad cooling can and will kill these APUs over time. IIRC, the stock heatsinks these APUs come with is quite garbage / undersized. I always use proper full-size AM2/AM3 heatsinks on these APUs, and they run much cooler as a result.

Also, before running memtest, check your PSU too - bad caps can cause all sorts of intermittent issues, including very specific failures with certain software or programs. I suggest opening it and posting a picture here, or at least post what brand and model it is.

Now, if your PSU checks out OK and memtest runs without errors, then I would lean towards a driver issue. In that case, get GPU-Z and post a screenshot here to see what video drivers your APU is using. Not using the correct drivers can cause issues. Also check the temperature of the APU with that while at it. Anything over 55C under load on these APUs would be an issue.

Lastly, I encourage disabling unnecessary crap like WinSAT and anything MS telemetry-related. I've had multiple instances where WinSAT was trying to run while I was playing a game. The result was either choppy/bad performance while it ran, or in a couple of cases my game crashed because WinSAT used too much resources.

To disable WinSAT, go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Scheduled Tasks and find the entry for WinSAT. Right-click on the entry for it and disable that scheduled task from running. You can (and should) also do that with anything in there that mentions Windows Customer Experience or Windows Telemetry or similar. All of these tasks are really garbage that slows Win7 down. There are several services that can be disabled too. Been a while since I done a Win7 install, so apologies for not being able to give you more details on how to do this at the moment.

Anyways, report back with the above findings first (PSU brand/model/pictures, memtest results, system cooling + temperatures, GPU-Z screenshot and/or driver version) and then we can try to go from there to see how to solve the issue.

Comment

Working...
            X