VARTA battery damage on 386 Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VARTA battery damage on 386 Motherboard

Hi guys, I have this project 386 motherboard and I am trying to save it, but I am having some trouble finding specs and diagrams for this particular model. It's supposed to be a Joindata G386U motherboard. As mentioned in the title, the VARTA battery leaked, and caused some damage, some of the components damaged are SMT resistor and capacitors, could use some advice on replacements or anything else that would be helpful to get this board to working order. I do believe that I will have to repair some traces. Anyways, here are some pictures.
    Attached Files

Re: VARTA battery damage on 386 Motherboard

remove everything in sockets and obviously the battery, then put the board and chips etc in a tray and cover it in vinegar.
    rub it in with a paintbrush.
    after maybe 30mins - 1hour wash it under the tap to remove all the vinegar and dry it out.
    that will get rid of the alkaline from the battery - then we can actually start on fixing it.

probably this:
    https://theretroweb.com/motherboards...-integra-386uf
    Last edited by stj; 06-06-2023, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      remove everything in sockets and obviously the battery, then put the board and chips etc in a tray and cover it in vinegar.
      rub it in with a paintbrush.
      after maybe 30mins - 1hour wash it under the tap to remove all the vinegar and dry it out.
      that will get rid of the alkaline from the battery - then we can actually start on fixing it.

probably this:
      https://theretroweb.com/motherboards...-integra-386uf
      Thanks, that actually does look like what I have, I've finally got some vinegar to work with and the battery is already off, I'll post more picture of the area once it's cleaned up.

Comment

So, I found my USB microscope so I could try to get a better look at the damage. The damage looks pretty bad, currently I'm not sure how I will go about this, as it looks like I'm going to need a desoldering gun due to a trace that almost under the ISA slot needs to be repaired or lots of bodge wire repair required, which I don't mind too much, as I am only really looking for functionality. Thoughts?
        Attached Files

Comment

i would remove all the bits and clean the tracks with a fibreglass pencil, then tin the tracks and fix them with thin copper wire before putting new parts.
          i do this stuff a lot though - so i make it sound easy!
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X