X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multimeter Settings!

Hi

Please excuse my newbie-ism!

I have a multimeter with Capacitance testing function. I would like to test a 1000uf Cap however the meter only has the following ranges 100uF, 2uF, 200nF, 20nF, 2nF....am I right in thinking I need a different meter?
    Many thanks.

Re: Multimeter Settings!

yes you need a diffrent meter i would go for one that tests esr too as thats a important test too carry out on capacitors ebay has some good bargains.

Comment

Many thanks Vince!

I will have a look about!

Comment

You can measure it with your existing meter, but the maths are frightening.. plus you will need some known good ones

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/...tor/cap_7.html

I would be more tempted to throw together a simple ac bridge circuit with known components and treat the cap as Cx

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/text...idge-circuits/

With big electrolytics their actual values are (most textbooks agree) -20%/+80% within tolerance. The more important measurements are their ESR and their leakage. Many of us old timers don't even bother with the ESR.. if they leak they go in the bin.. leaky caps pass current, get hot and dry up more.. which increases the leakage current which makes them hotter.. until they either go open, or vent.

Comment

a component / esr meter from china for under £10 will save you a lot of trouble.

Comment

Thanks guys...

for now I am just gonna replace the 11x main caps in my busticated TV (40in Samsung LCD) and see how I go

a few quid to replace, however for the future I will be looking at getting one of those meters

Comment

im using rs components at the minute for parts as have free delivery and no minimum order quick delivery too usually next day via parcel force.

Comment

Originally posted by Glowstone View Post
                Thanks guys...

for now I am just gonna replace the 11x main caps in my busticated TV (40in Samsung LCD) and see how I go

a few quid to replace, however for the future I will be looking at getting one of those meters
                That's a better idea than bothering to test the capacitance. Capacitance rarely tells you whether the cap is working properly. ESR is the way to go.

Comment

What would be some recommended ESR and cap leakage DMM you guys use?

Comment

DMM's dont check esr - esr meters and chinese component testers do.

Comment

Working...
                    X