Which Fluke do you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Fluke do you have?

Currently I have a Fluke 12B but think I may want to upgrade to something a bit more sophisticated.

My uses are primarily for working on computer displays and also vintage guitar tube amplifiers.

I would be curious to hear which Fluke meters you all have and why you like them.

Re: Which Fluke do you have?

I have a Fluke 189 which I´m very happy with. Also just ordered an Aglient LCR tester but haven´t received it yet

I like Fluke because it lasts, they don´t drift and are tolerant to physical stress. We use exclusively Fluke at work thanks to this.

Comment

LAS
      Had a number of different flukes.

For the moment for general stuff a 77III works just fine.
      At work I have a 115 that is just as good.

In the past I have used an 8062 and 8050's with positive results.

The most exotic I had and managed to loose was an 8500A, long string DVM.

Replaced it with an HP 3456A.
      Not something I take on field jobs but for some items around the house it's gross over kill.

Generally speaking, the user is more important than the meter.

Hope that helps.
      Jack Crow
      "You are, what you do, when it counts"
      The Masso

"Gravity, the quickest way down"
      Mayor John Almafi

"You ever drop an egg, and on the floor you see it break?
      You go and get a mop so you can clean up your mistake.
      But did you ever stop to ponder why we know it's true?
      If you drop a broken egg you will not get an egg that's new?"

MC Hawking

Comment

I have a 77 and an 87V.
        Love the 87, but really almost anything it good enough for any repair work I do.
        5.01v or 5.12v, who cares, the 5v is working

Not sure what "sophistication" is going to help with monitors or tube amps?

Speaking of which, tonight's project is cleaning all the scratchy pots in my poor neglected Marshall.
        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

75, 77ii, 85, 87, 187ii
          Never stop learning
          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
            I have a 77 and an 87V.
            Love the 87, but really almost anything it good enough for any repair work I do.
            5.01v or 5.12v, who cares, the 5v is working

Not sure what "sophistication" is going to help with monitors or tube amps?

Speaking of which, tonight's project is cleaning all the scratchy pots in my poor neglected Marshall.
            Spray and turn, spray and turn!

Comment

Originally posted by LAS View Post
              Currently I have a Fluke 12B but think I may want to upgrade to something a bit more sophisticated.

My uses are primarily for working on computer displays and also vintage guitar tube amplifiers.
              1) I have a Fluke 12 so I know it does all the basics very well. For troubleshooting computer monitors, it is more than adequate. For guitar amp tuning, Perry Babin over at diyaudio has tested a lot of multimeters for audio troubleshooting and he highly recommends the Fluke 12 so much that his Fluke 87 rarely gets used.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-a...ultimeter.html

2) If you want another Fluke multimeter, I suggest getting something to complement what you already have. Two features you may find useful in the future are autohold and measuring current which are not present on the Fluke 12.

3) I find autohold useful when I have to concentrate on holding the probes steady because of tiny component like a 20 pin IC or very tight physical areas where high voltage is present. With autohold, the multimeter will beep when it gets a steady reading. That way, I can remove the probes safely and then look at my measurement. Not all Fluke multimeters have autohold. The 110 series has "hold" which is the useless hold feature where you need a 3rd hand to push the button to hold the reading.

4) The other feature that I thought I would never use is current measurement. After about 18 months of using a multimeter, I finally needed current measurement to test for a parasitic car battery drain. I will also need it because I ran out of 3A fuses and I'm wondering if a 1.5A fuse will work in the Dell 2007FPW.

5) If you don't mind buying used, I suggest buying from ebay. You can get some great bargains if you are patient and ready to act on mispriced "Buy It Now" listings. I got 2 Flukes from ebay with BIN at great prices. You have a HUGE ADVANTAGE bidding against me. Many USA sellers will not ship to Canada. Those who do charge an INSANE amount for shipping/handling. Every minute I wait to get the seller's okay to ship to Canada means someone in the USA is looking at the BIN and that puts me at a huge disadvantage.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...1&postcount=66

6) This is an excellent ebay buying guide written by an expert Fluke user. His staircase photo is famous (very last photo on eevblog).

http://reviews.ebay.com/Fluke-Meters...00000007478323

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/general...97225af7a4e513

7) The best time to buy on ebay is when the auction ends on a major USA holiday. You won't find too much competition.

8) Now I know you probably don't need ten Amprobe 34XRs, but check this out

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=237903

If I were allowed to bid, I think $45 might win this auction. That is less than $5 for a True RMS multimeter.
              Last edited by retiredcaps; 05-16-2012, 01:06 AM.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

From HVAC night school 2004-2006, I have the Fluke 16 and a second one. I think it is the Fluke 222 (AC amp-clamp plus basic VOM).

Both are great for HVAC stuff. Is your home A/C compressor taking much more current than the manufacturer plate? It might be dying. Does the blower motor capacitor still live up to its rating? You can check it with ease.

They are also good for general computer/auto/home use. Far better than the old Radio Shack analog meter so many people have.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                  I have a Fluke 189 which I´m very happy with

Same here !

Comment

My latest is the 28II.

Even so I have on my bench.
                    8050A
                    8012A
                    8010A

Comment

I actually don't have a Fluke.

My "good" multi-meter is an Extech MM570. I don't have any issues with Fluke but I got a really good price on the Extech on eBay. The only problem with Flukes is that they are such a known name that they hold their value almost too well. That being said I would definitely consider a Fluke (probably a 117) if I was buying it new rather than used. Flukes are definitely good but their other good companies out there too you may want to consider, as well, especially if buying used.

I also have a bunch of sub $20 Harbor Freight multi-meters I use where a high level precision is not necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
                        My "good" multi-meter is an Extech MM570.
                        $65 Buy It now on ebay. Not bad for 500,000 count dmm, but seller won't ship internationally.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221029826494
                        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                          $65 Buy It now on ebay. Not bad for 500,000 count dmm, but seller won't ship internationally.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221029826494
                          That's about right. I got mine as part of a lot of test equipment for around $50(bid not buy-it-now); it was NOS brand new in box, and I got a Kill-a-watt and infrared thermometer as part of the deal. Pretty good considering the MSRP for the mm570 was over $300. I was looking for a Fluke 89 when I stumbled across the Extech mm570. The Fluke goes for $150 - $200 which made it an easy decision.

Comment

I actually don't have a Fluke.

The only problem with Flukes is that they are such a known name that they hold their value almost too well. That being said I would definitely consider a Fluke (probably a 117) if I was buying it new rather than used.

Flukes are definitely good but their other good companies out there too you may want to consider, as well, especially if buying used.

I also have a bunch of sub $20 Harbor Freight multi-meters I use where a high level precision is not necessary.
                            The final selection of one multimeter are totally related with the technical experiences of the buyer. (Aka Skills level).

For example: If you like to measure the voltage output of one UPS device,
                            the average measuring meters ( Non True RMS ) they will not measure all the volts.
                            The reading will be less than the real by allot.

By having this factor in mind as must have!!
                            Your next move is to get a True RMS meter and nothing less.

If you find the meter which haves the most key functions for your needs,
                            this is right meter for you.

Brand names and pricing comes second when you care to get the right tool for you.

Comment

I was looking for a Fluke 89 when I stumbled across the Extech mm570.
                              Hmm, did you stumble across the Brymen and Greenlee (also 500,000 count)? They all look like they got their internals from the same ODM?

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/product...e-multimeters/

500,000 on the Extech sounded cool and then I noticed the manual said 1.5 times update speed for 500,000 count. 5 times update speed for 50,000.
                              Last edited by retiredcaps; 05-24-2012, 04:05 AM.
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I make use of a few meters. From Fluke I currently use 189, 177, 179, 117, 113 and Fluke 11. Also have a 1735 Power Logger but hardly use that piece of gear. In fact its up for sale. ;-)

The Fluke 189 has terrible battery life and is overcomplex for quick measurements so I tend to like using it for very accurate stuff and for data logging.

The 177 and 179 are the bench/field tag team.

The 117 I like because its a small compact meter and is very decent. 113 is just a basic version of the 117.

And the old Fluke 11 is also nice and compact and does everything thats needed except for current measurement.

Hoping to have a Fluke Scopemeter pretty soon for field use and also for isolated scope on the bench.

They really are fantastic meters and everytime I drift off brand i end up slipping back at some point. The only other brand I use is Brymen.

Have a great week all.

Comment

I have Fluke 87 V,it's expensive but it's worth it.

http://en-us.fluke.com/products/digi...ultimeter.html

Comment

The only Fluke handheld I have is an 8020B, and I have an 8600 (4 1/2 digit), an 8000, and an 8050B.

Comment

Fluke 28-II love it, it's basically the same as the 87-V only rugged...
                                      Fluke 325 clamp meter, really nice form factor, also a great meter.
                                      Only thing that would make it better is if it could also do microamps.

Fluke 113, bought this one a really long time ago, only wanted it for the capacitance mode which works great.
                                      Other than that it's useless, it has the VCHEK mode which is supposed to make life easier but I'll just quote myself:
                                      Originally posted by Per Hansson
                                      What I find confusing is that this meter is aimed at less knowledgeable folks but in my mind you need an even greater understanding of electricity so you realize when it gives wrong readings...
                                      I found another funny thing with it this weekend, I was testing two different wallplug RCD's to use with my scope.
                                      The 113 actually tripped the RCD when measuring between ground and neutral.
                                      Between ground a phase it was ok.
                                      I guess the low input impedance of 3kΩ is enough to trip the RCD which is rated for 30mA.
                                      The short circuit current the 113 exposes in resistance mode is ca 350 μA but I'm not sure how that relates to the VCHEK mode.
                                      Conclusion: the damn meter can't even be used by electricians to measure AC because it will trip the whole house RCD, awsome!
                                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

i have a PM97 scopemeter that exploded internally because of a failure in the battery charging circuit.,
                                        buy a UNI-T or an Agilent.
                                        Last edited by stj; 04-07-2016, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X