X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    Looks a lot like an older Bestec power supply. They are probably only one of the few manufactures that likes to mount caps high off the board like that. And yes, they loved to use general purpose CapXon, Teapo, and Jamicon in those older PSUs, along with conductive glue to hold them down.

If it's NOT an ATX-250-12E model, you should recap it as they are otherwise decent power supplies. If it IS an ATX-250-12E, consider doing a 5VSB mod of some sort (search BCN forums for more info). Otherwise be prepared to sacrifice some motherboards (either not or in the close future) if you use this PSU.
    After a recap, the PSU was working flawless again Even the other components with bad caps.

Comment

Originally posted by jm20101 View Post
      After a recap, the PSU was working flawless again Even the other components with bad caps.
      That's nice to hear. But keep in mind that Bestec ATX-250-12E is a known for killing motherboards if 5VSB circuit is not modded. Problem is there's a critical capacitor on the 5VSB circuit, and when that goes bad, 5VSB can send out 12V or more to the motherboard. In most cases, the Southbridge gets cooked. Sometimes peripheral hardware too.

Comment

Friend came to me asking to check the wireless router he received from the ISP as it stopped working.

It was a D-LINK DI-524 ... it was powering up but no leds other than power on.
        The tiny power adapter rated for 5v @ 1.2A ... when plugged in it was 3.3v.. so either the power adapter or the router was faulty.

Opened up the router, everything ok, opened up the power adapter and found these capacitors.
        The obvious faulty one is 330uF 10v Teapo SC, very tiny one.
        I removed the other one, a Teapo SY 680uF 10v just to be sure the fix will work.

Attached Files

Comment

mariushm, was your fix successful?

I've never seen any of these brands before....and they ALL came out of a Topower PSU.

1. Bha (Hmm, they don't seem to be 1000uF!)
          2. Huahong
          3. WKXC
          4. Changzhou Huayue
          5. OIFA
          6. SW
          7. TREC (It was sitting high off the board and was on the 5VSB filtering...)

Anyone see any of these before?
          Attached Files

Comment

Friend was in a bit of a hurry so I didn't test it thoroughly.

I soldered a Panasonic and a Rubycon capacitor instead of those two, plugged the router in, connected the router with a network cable to a laptop and I saw DHCP working so I guess it works.
            It's 2-3 days since the fix and he didn't come back to complain so I guess it works for him.

Last one in your pictures looks more like PEC ... the WKPC may be emulating the Samwha logo? Anyway, those that say CD110 are your basic Chinese crap.. that CD### is some kind of Chinese standard of capacitors.

Comment

I soldered a Panasonic and a Rubycon capacitor instead of those two, plugged the router in, connected the router with a network cable to a laptop and I saw DHCP working so I guess it works.
              It's 2-3 days since the fix and he didn't come back to complain so I guess it works for him.
              Sounds like it's good to go then! Did you bring those caps with you so you could measure their ESR?

Last one in your pictures looks more like PEC
              Could be
              the WKPC may be emulating the Samwha logo?
              Yeah, it does look similar with the tilted oval. or it could be poor manufacturing?

Anyway, those that say CD110 are your basic Chinese crap.. that CD### is some kind of Chinese standard of capacitors.
              I was curious about that, what is the CD supposed to mean? I've only seen that on BH capacitors (Or I just don't pay close enough attention)

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                1. Bha (Hmm, they don't seem to be 1000uF!)
                Bha in Chinese must be the English equivalent of Meh.
                So when they made them, they were like, Bha, who cares they're not 1000 uF.

Comment

Anyway, those that say CD110 are your basic Chinese crap.. that CD### is some kind of Chinese standard of capacitors.
                  I've seen that numbering system - "CD###" - as the series name from the "capacitor" manufacturer Jiang Hai (judging by the powerful stench the unopened bag of parts I had emitted - while still in an unopened box - I think they also make low quality fish sauce!). The sample I had were being marketed by Evox-Rifa, so I'm thinking Jiang Hai sells its @#$% under as many brand names as it takes to sell its @#$%.
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                    I've seen that numbering system - "CD###" - as the series name from the "capacitor" manufacturer Jiang Hai (judging by the powerful stench the unopened bag of parts I had emitted - while still in an unopened box - I think they also make low quality fish sauce!). The sample I had were being marketed by Evox-Rifa, so I'm thinking Jiang Hai sells its @#$% under as many brand names as it takes to sell its @#$%.
                    fish sauce,electrolyte whats the difference?its sealed up in little cans with wires.nobody will ever know.....

Comment

Had to bring to my place my sister's computer.. she's saving money for a laptop (while paying bank loans for apartment and other crap) so she still has an old Socket A system.

The secondary Maxtor 40 GB drive developed bad sectors, throwing loads of errors and making windows painfully slow... a 8 GB partition basically unreadable by windows... now moving at a painstaking 500KB-1MB/s data to my computer.

But then I had a look at the motherboard so I guess I'll have to fix it as well .. though I'm not sure if it's worth the cost of the capacitors.

click to zoom

Yeah, a bunch of KZG capacitors a bit swollen.

ps. Yeah, this board is a 5v design... 3300uF 6.3v everywhere.

May have to check the psu as well, i'm seeing fluctuating 4.98-5.02v on 5v, 12.5v on the 12v rail. May be just the low load on 12v (basically just cpu fan and two hard drives), may be a bigger problem. The PSU is a cheapo 400w "Premier" psu, these are typically equipped with CS capacitors.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by mariushm; 11-23-2013, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                        though I'm not sure if it's worth the cost of the capacitors.
                        It's worth it IMO. S462 motherboards are still usable for basic stuff. Moreover, those motherboards use leaded solder. The fact that the socket is through-hole and not SMD makes the motherboard even more bulletproof.

The Premiere PSU - probably standard Deer/L&C/Allied/Solytech garbage. Since its wattage rating is quite high, I'm willing to bet it's one of those extra-extra gutless craps from the L&C line. You know, the ones with very small heat sinks, big hot-running load resistors, missing PI coils, underrated schottky rectifiers, and undersized capacitors.

Comment

Followup on the motherboard above. Replaced the 8 KZG 3300/6.3v with Nichicon HM 3300/6.3v

The KZG caps were worse than i though, the bungs were stretched quite a lot as the pictures show ... the measurements were

1/5 3451/0.01
                          2/5 1536/0.06
                          3/5 0427/0.44
                          4/5 3542/0.02
                          5/5 3389/0.05

1/3 334/1.70
                          2/3 403/1.58
                          3/3 840/0.99

So far, the motherboard works fine, but I'm a bit concerned about the replacement capacitors, the pads were so tiny on this motherboard that I'm worried I may have performed a poor solder join on one or two capacitors of the eight. I couldn't risk adding a lot of solder because there's really extremely small space between the negative lead and the positive copper fill around the leads.
                          Either way, it can't be worse than before.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by mariushm; 11-24-2013, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Another day, another speaker system. This time its a Krator NB-16220 mutimedia 2.1 speaker system. The subwoofer amplifier board has 4 badcaps, and possibly the first time I've seen the brand "VLSOM" (and the power supply side has capacitors with the brand "RSCon", again first time I've seen this brand and can't find any information on this particular brand). Those pictures speak for themselves. Already replaced them with Panasonic HD series capacitors. Pretty impressive bass from these speakers...
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by lexwalker; 11-25-2013, 09:43 AM.

Comment

esold200 ebay fakes.
                              much of the caps there are fakes.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by kc8adu; 11-26-2013, 09:29 AM.

Comment

RSCon? ArseCon?

As with the "Rubycon" caps, they didn't even try with those fakes.

Comment

Wow, a regular vent stamp. That's pretty bad. Is it just me or do those leads look thicker than normal?

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                    esold200 ebay fakes.
                                    much of the caps there are fakes.
                                    Never bothered to use Rubycon's trademark "K" vent. Certainly easy to spot this counterfeit batch...

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
                                    RSCon? ArseCon?
                                    Its "RSCon", no mistake with that "n" at the end (since at first I thought it may be a short form for RS Components). Example search result found: Aliexpress.com : Buy Brand new authentic al electrolytic capacitor 10000UF100V 100V10000UF 35mm*60mm from Reliable new capacitor suppliers on liuguihao liu's store:. And yes, that logo "RSCon"....

Comment

DM primary caps from unknown OEM PSU made in May, 2003.

Attached Files

Comment

My old DVD recorder had one of those in it. I think it still had good capacitance (it was a 100uF 400V cap).

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post

The secondary Maxtor 40 GB drive developed bad sectors, throwing loads of errors and making windows painfully slow... a 8 GB partition basically unreadable by windows... now moving at a painstaking 500KB-1MB/s data to my computer.
                                          Sounds like it's a 6E040L0! Those usually fail with major lag symptoms. The 6Exxxxx is the worst series from Maxtor!

Taking a long time to read the bootloader appears to be a common symptom.

Same with stuttering.
                                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                                          X