Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital Multimeters (Also Brymen BM869 repair)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Digital Multimeters

Originally posted by jasonbay13 View Post
    looks like i should have just bought the fluke. killed my $250 bm869 trying to measure the voltage of a step-up transformer. still dont know the voltage but i thought it could handle over 1kv without exploding.

anyway, since i've no longer a decent meter, what should i get? some of those harbor freight meters so i dont feel like driving off a cliff when i fry one or something more expensive so when i kill it i can curl up and start crying myself to sleep hoping it will all be better when i wake up?

stupidity is ridiculously expensive
    yes you should have,i did buy fluke 87 and i'm very satisfied ,i also have blown the fuse by wrongly checking amps,but it survived just by replacing fuse,it costed me much money, but it's worth every penny.

Comment

this is completely separate, but my Milliamp range is inaccurate. by a lot. say my meter shows 200ma, but the load is really 100ma. this is based from an harbor freight cheapo and the 10A range of the 869.
      Can you actually get some real measurement values as to the error?

A picture of the BM869 and your Harbor Freight in series measuring the same current load would be idea. In an earlier post, I referenced

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/yokogawa...03-multimeter/

In that blog, you can see the Yokogawa and Fluke 189 both in series measuring the same current so we can see side by side.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

get a UT-61E
        good spec, but cheap enough to not throw a fit if you break it.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          cant you ask brymen for a schematic?
          I stand corrected. I didn't ask for a schematic, but I did ask for the values of those input components and I got an answer in less than 24 hours.

I will list the digikey/mouser equivalents sometime Friday. It is 12:33AM and I have to get some sleep now.

I already know the PTC will be problematic in terms of getting the equivalent.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Don't blame Brymen, that is a plain user ignorance, not the issue with multimeter at all. It have done it's job fine, failed in the safe way and didn't explode in your face. Learn to think twice about what you are doing before killed yourself out of plain ignorance.
            get a UT-61E
            good spec, but cheap enough to not throw a fit if you break it.
            The issue is, if it was UT-61E, OP could get harmed himself when that thing would explode in his hands. Turns out is easier to damage Fluke 87 V with HV, rather than BM869:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Dg1QA71wU

Comment

but would a ut-61e explode?

if you have no mov's creating a short, the most likely outcome of a couple of kV would be burning out the silicon and releasing the magic smoke.

frankly, i would be more afraid to use a meter that was going to intentionally short the probe cables together while i'm holding the probes!!

Comment

but would a ut-61e explode?
                if you have no mov's creating a short, the most likely outcome of a couple of kV would be burning out the silicon and releasing the magic smoke
                ut-61e will start arching between the contacts in the dial switch somewhere between 1000V and 2500V applied (output voltage settings on the HV tester in the video). As it seems OP had some high energy high voltage source, I wouldn't be surprised if a huge plasma arc appeared inside the meter and it would blow up in pieces. Here is ut-61e HV test:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhBbvIf3E0s
                And here is how multimeter explodes in pieces from 4kV limited energy source (capacitor). In the OP's case, that probably would not end just like that because there was continuous power source, not just charged cap.
                https://youtu.be/M-FZP1U2dkM?t=367
                Last edited by wraper; 06-03-2016, 03:53 AM.

Comment

BTW, as BM869 clamps the voltage to 1.8 kV (DC) by MOVs after those burned resistors and PTCs which are rated to 1kV, seems that OP had put well above 2.8 kV (peak, not RMS) into the meter.
                  Last edited by wraper; 06-03-2016, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Here is a suggested list of replacements. I tried to pick the big name/well known/reputable brands.

1) Bourns 820V varistor - 17 cents each x 2 = 34 cents total

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...7D821KTRCT-ND/

2) Epcos 500V PTC 1.1k ohm - $2.31 each x 2 = $4.62 total (NOTE: This is a 500V PTC, not 1000V)

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...3890-ND/652053

3) Vishay 1k ohm 3W resistor wirewound flameproof - 87 cents each x 4 = $3.48 total

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...KCT-ND/1587922

4) Bourns 1000V varistor - 49 cents each

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...02K-ND/2798254

0.34 + 4.62 + 3.48 + 0.49 = $8.93 + whatever shipping (I'm guessing $4 USD for first class).

Please note that while there is a 1000V PTC that 1.1k ohm, it is not available for purchase anywhere that I can find. The part number is YS4020. Datasheet at

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...52b8cf1a8b.pdf

As such, I would consider this repaired BM869 NOT a UL listed 1000V meter anymore. While the repaired meter is likely okay for normal househould mains use (120V), I would urge caution and practice good safety like wearing goggles, using hand-free probes and not working alone.

I will leave it to the OP to double check part numbers and specifications, but more importantly, check the dimensions of each components. I don't have a BM869 so I cannot verify if these replacement parts are the same size or larger.

Email from Brymen re components ...

"Those components are:
                    R1 ~ R4: 1k ohm/3W wire-wound resistors
                    PTC1, PTC2: 1.1k ohm/1kV PTC
                    SPG1, SPG2: 820V Zinc Oxide Varistor
                    SPG3: 1000V Zinc Oxide Varistor"
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

dont forget to put heat shrink over the new varistors to contain the blast if you blow them again!
                      it may be good to sleeve the resistors too.

Comment

I have added the items in my digikey cart. and have made 2 changes to the suggested items. i changed out the resistors to something closer to the original size and is 1% tolerance, though it is not fire rated.
                        the 1kv varistor is CNR 10D102K (10mm diameter), so i picked based on the diameter.

that ptc that is 500v. does that mean at 500v the fuse will trigger and the meter will read nothing until it resets? and will the lower voltage affect accuracy of the meter significantly?

http://www.digikey.com/short/3ztpm7

Comment

that ptc that is 500v. does that mean at 500v the fuse will trigger and the meter will read nothing until it resets? and will the lower voltage affect accuracy of the meter significantly?
                          As the reading approaches 500V, the PTC resistance should start to get higher. If the voltage goes past 500V, the PTC resistance should continue to go higher. The meter should continue to function, but your accuracy results could be affected.

The lower voltage rating on the PTC should not affect the accuracy of the meter for readings under 500V.

BTW, making an "oops" moment like having the meter on resistance while the probes are plugged into mains (120V) may affect the accuracy of the meter until the PTC cools down. See Dave's eevblog ohms overload video (10 minute video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX7xmA7F5bc
                          Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-03-2016, 08:08 PM.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

You may want to order extras/spares for future use?
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

if you changed the order to regular resistors, 100% put heatshrink sleeving over them.

Comment

^
                                Absolutely. I'd rather deal with melted plastic than a meter on fire.
                                Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                  As the reading approaches 500V, the PTC resistance should start to get higher. If the voltage goes past 500V, the PTC resistance should continue to go higher. The meter should continue to function, but your accuracy results could be affected.

The lower voltage rating on the PTC should not affect the accuracy of the meter for readings under 500V.

BTW, making an "oops" moment like having the meter on resistance while the probes are plugged into mains (120V) may affect the accuracy of the meter until the PTC cools down. See Dave's eevblog ohms overload video (10 minute video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX7xmA7F5bc
                                  PTC voltage rating has nothing to do with readings at all. It is protection device, it changes it's resistance ONLY when voltage is clamped with varistors, what does not happen at all unless input voltage exceeds 1.8 kV. That means with lower voltage PTC, meter will have worse overvoltage protection but no other negative effects.

Comment

Alright. done patched it up and got some pics. and if you are wondering about the flux and soldering, i took that pic just after cutting the leads and later cleaned it up with some 91%.

ohms mode works, havent tested accuracy and all modes yet. but it should be fine as long as i dont do something stupid again :/

really surprised it didnt die completely.

Thanks all so much for the help.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

lol triple sleeves on the ptc's - expecting a repeat?

Comment

Nice team work!
                                        Now if you still want to measure that transformer might I suggest a HV probe?

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53574
                                        Last edited by Per Hansson; 06-10-2016, 10:27 AM.
                                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Since the OP is in USA, there are frequent auctions on ebay for the Fluke 27 + HV probe. Sometime you can get it for $50 to $70 USD. I don't know the exact specifications of the HV probe, but you can probably find it easily on Fluke's website. I never measure more than 400V DC so I never bothered to investigate.

An example that sold for $39

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291717473735

The 27 is a workhorse, lasts 2000 (two thousand) hours on a 9V battery and built like a tank. It also has schematics and a bill of materials in the service manual. Most of it is through hole components which makes repair easier.

Fluke 27 review/teardown by Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKuvmoW0AZQ

And yes, I have a Fluke 27.
                                          Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-10-2016, 12:00 PM.
                                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                          X