Radioshack RMS auto ranging multimeter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radioshack RMS auto ranging multimeter question

I just picked up this multimeter from our local Radioshack store that is closing, came out to about $41 after being marked down 40%. It was admittedly an impulse buy, as there was only one left, and I needed something that could measure capacitance.

I think I've answered my one question, which was: will this thing be any good for measuring capacitance of small caps (LCD monitor repair) in the 100uF - 2200uF range? I don't exactly know the scale, is uF the smallest, and nF larger? This is what the manual says:

CAPACITANCE
    4nF ........................................ ± 4.0% of Reading,
    ± 40 in Last Digits
    40nF ...................................... ± 4.0% of Reading,
    ± 10 in Last Digits
    400nF – 40uF – 400uF .......... ± 3.0% of Reading,
    ± 4 in Last Digit

()

The only other multimeter I have is a cheapo $15 one, so hopefully this wasn't a complete waste of money. In any case, I guess what I'm looking for is whether I can use this to help troubleshoot some LCD's, and if not, some recommendations on what tool I should purchase to do so. Thanks for any advice in advance!!
    Attached Files

Re: Radioshack RMS auto ranging multimeter question

1 uF = 1000 nF

Comment

and 1nF = 1000pF

Comment

Originally posted by zoxor View Post
        I think I've answered my one question, which was: will this thing be any good for measuring capacitance of small caps (LCD monitor repair) in the 100uF - 2200uF range?

CAPACITANCE
        4nF ........................................ ± 4.0% of Reading,
        ± 40 in Last Digits
        40nF ...................................... ± 4.0% of Reading,
        ± 10 in Last Digits
        400nF – 40uF – 400uF .......... ± 3.0% of Reading,
        ± 4 in Last Digit
        The multimeter measures capacitance only up to 400uF. In addition, no multimeter can measure ESR (equivalent series resistance) which is more important when troubleshooting non visually bloated caps. A bloated cap is almost guaranteed to be bad. A non bloated requires desoldering and measuring with an ESR meter.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

pleaded need advice about multimeter what should I buy

Comment

Working...
          X