bent neck CRT pins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: bent neck CRT pins...

Did you do the aforementioned thing with mains AC power?
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Actually I do not gain any enjoyment from such acts, so no - likewise I have never connected a capacitor backwards and let it explode either. Accidental, yes, but fortunately never let it run enough to cause rapid uncontrolled expansion of even fuhjyyus.

Comment

^^^Why not the enjoyment?
        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
          ^^^Why not the enjoyment?
          Because everyone can destroy. But not everyone can create.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            Because everyone can destroy. But not everyone can create.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRmpRCjcCFU

Stuff on TV that I grew up with.

Comment

Though I am tempted to build a Jacobs Ladder with this extra flyback I salvaged from a monitor I dropped/destroyed...

Comment

i have seen worse looking getters on tubes that showed fine.
                hook it back up without the shield and look for arcing .
                or apply 6.3v to the heater and see if it burns out in a few minutes.
                Last edited by kc8adu; 04-17-2016, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Even with white stuff on the getter deposits? It's clear. I think all the observations made all point to seal breach. First starting with focus destruction(the electrons hitting air particles makes good sense.)

I can't really test for arcing because the PSU shuts down immediately (and burns fuse) with it hooked up to the CRT. PSU powers up fine only when the CRT is not connected - there's definitely some higher than expected current path through the CRT though an ohmmeter cannot detect (air).

The heater is slowly becoming more resistive over time. This is a clear sign it's burning up, there's no other good explanation other than seal breach.

Thanks for trying to give some hope...though I think there is none left, not to mention I think I actually see glass cracks
                  Last edited by eccerr0r; 04-18-2016, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                    Even with white stuff on the getter deposits? It's clear. I think all the observations made all point to seal breach. First starting with focus destruction(the electrons hitting air particles makes good sense.)

I can't really test for arcing because the PSU shuts down immediately (and burns fuse) with it hooked up to the CRT. PSU powers up fine only when the CRT is not connected - there's definitely some higher than expected current path through the CRT though an ohmmeter cannot detect (air).

The heater is slowly becoming more resistive over time. This is a clear sign it's burning up, there's no other good explanation other than seal breach.

Thanks for trying to give some hope...though I think there is none left, not to mention I think I actually see glass cracks
                    Show some pics of the tube if you can.

Comment

Working...
                    X