HDMI port replacement on Radeon 4650 advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDMI port replacement on Radeon 4650 advice

I tried like heck to get the solder out of those tiny pins on the HDMI port. I used flux, a wick etc. I finally learned about Fast Chip (or ChipQuick) and bought some. I slathered some on and then pressed gently on the pins with the flat side of the chisel tip and they went through cleanly. It was amazing how nicely it worked.

I cleared the two large holes that secure it to the PCB using the dental pick method that I learned from you all. The little tiny holes are a different story.

How would you all recommend clearing those holes? There are 19 tiny holes. Should I slather some more Fast Chip stuff on and push the pins through and then wick it up or is there some other method that you all use?

Which brings me to my next question, how do you get solder on to each pin? I've replaced caps on motherboards and displays and even an Xbox 360 but there is always spacing between pins. I haven't been able to find many videos on this kind of thing because there are mostly SMD videos now.
    Attached Files

Re: HDMI port replacement on Radeon 4650 advice

prop it up, and use an iron on one side and a desoldering pump on the other side.

Comment

prop it up, and use an iron on one side and a desoldering pump on the other side.
      I tried to use a solder sucker and the holes are just too small to get it to work just right. I do have a desoldering iron somewhere but I was starting to get worried about messing up the vias. I used the pick but I kept melting the solder from the other adjacent holes.

I had wiped off that fast chip on the sponge and just sopped it up with the iron today and made a little puddle over the pin holes. I pushed the hdmi port right through with like no resistance. This stuff really is amazing. It was kind of a pain to wick up the stuff, and make sure that none of the pins were bridging. I really wasn't expecting this to actually work.

Some of the pins were a little empty so I touched them up with regular solder. I made sure the two metal pins that secure it in place were soldered in with regular rosin core. I inserted it into my computer, expecting graphical glitches or something but it booted right up and has been running for hours.

I really need to spend the money on a temperature regulated station and some various tips. My Weller SP40N 40W iron has been a really good workhorse but I like the iron nice and hot and it kills the tips.

Comment

it does sound like your iron tip is too large.

Comment

A fine sewing machine needle is a must for your toolbox with a 5 amp connector block screwed to the flat end, to save your fingers getting burnt, same as a dental pick but a lot finer for the smaller holes. always works for me Flocko

Comment

Working...
          X