Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soldering station thoughts and guidelines

Originally posted by redwire View Post
    The stray voltage will be enough to damage semiconductors!
    Yeah, I may have killed some stuff too because of this without even realizing it So it's ground or bust from now on. Sadly there isn't anything metal around which I can use for grounding, so the long wire idea is probably the way to go.....unless it turns out the wire itself acts as an antenna and ends up picking up stray voltages
    Wattevah...

Comment

Make sure there is a 1Megohm resistor between the iron tip and earth, so you don't short anything to ground if you accidentally solder something live. Also this limits current of ESD events.

It could also be a fault in the tip/handle or bad design of the power supply making the tip live.
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

I'll actually open the thing up to have a look see. It's SMPS-based, so it doesn't quite make sense for the tip to go live, since the outer housing should be like chassis GND...you never know with chinese products. They sometimes skimp on safety features or just implement them wrong
        Wattevah...

Comment

it makes perfect sense,

the outer tube of the tip is earthed to ground/0v

and switching psu's have a ceramic cap between the primary side and 0v on the secondary side.

Comment

So what is the solution to this problem that is realistic that will not require a complete makeover

Is this the switching power supply that comes with the unit or is this some other brand power supply

Does happen when you using on house current or is this on battery power unit
            Please answer this question because this is very important
            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 11-18-2019, 07:07 PM.
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply
            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

it's capacitivly coupled mains from the psu - *all* switching psu's do it - all switching psu's should have an earth - including phone chargers.

infact especially including phone chargers with the growing number of idiots using earbuds at the same time as the charger!!

Comment

Ok guys, here's the insides of this soldering station: just a SMPS which accounts for 90% of the space inside and the business end at the front. I added my binding post on the back next to the IEC plug and soldered it to the earth prong. I haven't tested it out yet You can also clearly see the cap between HOT and COLD GND there.
                Attached Files
                Wattevah...

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  it makes perfect sense,

the outer tube of the tip is earthed to ground/0v

and switching psu's have a ceramic cap between the primary side and 0v on the secondary side.
                  Exactly.

Though that cap between secondary ground and primary negative (-) bus should NOT be a REGULAR ceramic cap (I'm sure you know that already, but just stating it for anyone else in the thread who may not be aware.) It needs to be safety-approved Y2-class rated. The difference is that Y2 caps will not fail short-circuited in the event of over-voltage or breakdown, whereas regular ceramic caps can. This leaves the potential (pun intended) for regular safety caps to fully energize the chassis of the device if it is ungrounded ("double-insulated" as some devices claim... though I only think that applies with devices that use a regular line-connected transformer - now these are truly double-insulated.)

That said, even with a Y2-class cap between ground and primary negative (-) bus, there will still be a small leakage current, hence why you get the slight shocks. The unloaded voltage could actually be pretty high - as high as 160V AC. But due to the low capacitance of the Y2 cap, the current is limited and very tiny.

Unfortunately, that cap needs to be there for the PSU manufacturer to comply with EMI/RFI standards. But it does create problems for ungrounded devices - particularly soldering irons, as you can easily destroy ESD-sensitive components.

So on that matter, I agree with STJ: the PSU needs to be grounded.

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                  Make sure there is a 1Megohm resistor between the iron tip and earth, so you don't short anything to ground if you accidentally solder something live. Also this limits current of ESD events.
                  +1

This is certainly the recommended way to do it.
                  Last edited by momaka; 11-27-2019, 07:52 AM.

Comment

So I should add a 1 Meg-ohm resistor between the COLD GND (chassis GND )and that ground binding post I added which goes to earth ?
                    Wattevah...

Comment

no, add the resistor inline with the iron connector.

IMO you want to limit the ground current to the tip, but not the case or a case short wont blow the fuse!

Comment

When you say "iron connector" you mean the shell of the connector ? I think the metal part of the iron is connected to the chassis of the station anyway....must admit I haven't tried measured.
                        Wattevah...

Comment

well you need to find out how the iron is wired,
                          i wouldnt be surprised if they dont actually use the shell, because screened cable would cost more.

Comment

Does anyone on this board happen to have a Weller ET series soldering station ? I cannot find anything about the inner diameter of the tips. They SEEM to match my cheapy Gordak 900m knockoff. The tips for the Weller look like this.
                            Wattevah...

Comment

those may be solid and not hollow.

Comment

those may be solid and not hollow.
                                I feared too myself, but THIS article makes me think they're hollow (notice how the element goes inside the tip piece - at least that's how I see it.....). This would open up the possibility of using decent quality tips on my low end iron....which may not necessarily yield the best results in the end, but better than nothing.......
                                Wattevah...

Comment

that's interesting, the element is on the outside and the thermocouple is in the center!

gotta say though, if you need a webpage full of pictures to change a tip, you probably shouldnt be using the iron!

Comment

If it turns out the ET series iron is similar to my cheapy Gordak, it opens up the possibility of using an ET to LT adapter, which are these stubby tips for the LT series....apparently Weller thought of this and made an adapter....that's right: a soldering tip ADAPTER !

Sadly, it looks to me the retaining sleeve is shorter on my Gordak and the nut may not match either, at least without any official dimensions and no other points of reference in any of the pics I found so far....I can't believe they do not provide this sort of info. I guess to prevent this sort of attempted "cross-compatibility"
                                    Wattevah...

Comment

try ali-express for a clone weller handle

Comment

try ali-express for a clone weller handle
                                        Yeah but it'd have to match my Gordak which involves a bit too much work figuring out the pins and voltage and that....
                                        Wattevah...

Comment

if they both use K type sensors then it's easy, i know a guy who put a xytronics handle on a gordak by just re-wiring the plug - the xytronics iron actually had the right one - just wired different.

Comment

Working...
                                          X