Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oh dear.. problems, please help (new to a soldering iron)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear.. problems, please help (new to a soldering iron)

Hi guys, performing my first recapping together with my first ever stint at soldering, and, as you guessed, things could be going better

Could really use some help.

1) I bought some 2700 uF 6.3 volt caps for a shuttle FV25 mainboard, these are the only caps of this spec suppled by RS Electrical, unfortunately, the legs of the cap do not fit through the holes on the mainboard. RS do not supply any other 2700 uF cap, what should i do? Can I push the cap in as far as it will go and then seal the remaining hole with solder, very dirty i know, but would it work... and if it would, would it work for more than a week?

2) Under some of the caps are extra "blobs" of solder that run through to the bottom of the board, they don't connect anything visible, but im presuming will do something. One of these accidentlly got melted into one of the legs of the caps (they were like 0.5 mm away and im a crappy solder-trician ). Do they do anything? If so how should I go about cleaning up the mess, whats the best way to remove soldier? If not, can I just leave it?

Thanks for all your help guys, IT IS APPRECIATED!

Taz

Re: oh dear.. problems, please help (new to a soldering iron)

1) is it so tight? what is your technique for clearing the holes, are they properly clear. The most important thing is not to force caps hard down the holes otherwise damage

2) it is not a good idea to short the capacitor lead to another pad nearby. I usually gently run a hot iron into the solder that connects the two points to pick up the excess solder and remove the short. you could also use solder wick or solder sucker etc to remove the excess.

guys : please advise regarding no.1 if you know this board
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Hi willawake, thanks for the reply.

I did indeed use solder wick to remove th solder, that stuff is amazing

Also, thanks to a simiar thread by topcat, i bought a different capacitor (3300 uF) with 0.6 mm legs.

Thanks!
      Taz

Comment

WOW, thanks to you guys there is now 1 more system brought back from the dead.

I really thought i'd bodged it up, but thanks to you guys it all went well!

THANK YOU!

Fantastic, i'm absolutely static i managed to do this, having never used a soldering iron before lol, thanks again.

Taz

Comment

Working...
        X