Burn in on OLED screens, is it (partially) solvable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burn in on OLED screens, is it (partially) solvable

A few days ago I picked up a Loewe Bild 7.55 OLED tv with a heavily burnt in screen. The owner watched every day several hours on Teletext.

Because I own a newly bought Bild 5.65, the Bild 7 could be useful for spare-parts, but I also like to create some new experience with OLED.

If the RS & JB compensation cycle doesn't solve anything, are there still possibilities to remove this "ghost" pictures?

Thanks for the advice!

Gert

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/images...attach/jpg.gif
    Attached Files

Re: Burn in on OLED screens, is it (partially) solvable

could you show us the T-CON driver boards with out the metal shield and which brand of OLED module .
    most of cases the T-CON driver boards didn't refresh and reset the module. on LG we did solve it by T-CON firmware downgrade and upgrade again..

Comment

ok, this is totally new information...

I will remove this tv's back cover and provide the asked information later this week.

Could be very useful info.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/images...attach/jpg.gif

So, I provided the requested data.

I had do made several photos of the T-Con, because Loewe decided to add a lift mechanism on the screen.
        It should be possible to see what kind of T-Con is used.
        If zoomed, the part numbers are also visible.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Beeldbuisje View Post
          So, I provided the requested data.

I had do made several photos of the T-Con, because Loewe decided to add a lift mechanism on the screen.
          It should be possible to see what kind of T-Con is used.
          If zoomed, the part numbers are also visible.
          so the module and the t-con driver from LG
          look at my post over here ( ribbon cable photo )... and please compare one end of ribbon cable if they have 2 wide pins from left and right.

if you disconnected the white socket ( 12 volts feed ) from T-CON driver and power boards... the set will remain working and at every start there will be horizontal line show on screen moving from top to down... ( scan and refresh pixel ) if you do it just keep the set on for 5 minute... then unplug it from wall socket... leave it 5 minute out from wall socket ( discharging ) and repeat to plug it in wall socket with out feed 12 volts to t-con.

do it for 3 time are enough. and please don't use the remote control at all... just plug in and out from wall socket..... after the third time.. leave it discharge and plug in back the white socket and test your picture.
          Last edited by Diah; 09-15-2020, 05:45 AM.

Comment

I don't fully understand you what I have to do with this information:

and please compare one end of ribbon cable if they have 2 wide pins from left and right.

Do I have to check if this is also the case in my TV, or do I also disconnect this cable when I disconnect the 12V line from my Power board?

Comment

I don't fully understand you what I have to do with this information:

and please compare one end of ribbon cable if they have 2 wide pins from left and right.

Do I have to check if this is also the case in my TV, or do I also disconnect this cable when I disconnect the 12V line from my Power board?
              by comparing the ribbon cable type will give us look on which generation OLED panel build in

the test of disconnected socket feed 12 volts worked on any LG OLED. to approve the burn in was on cells or on the film. if on cells will be clear them or make them working better for next step repair.
              Last edited by Diah; 09-15-2020, 08:09 AM.

Comment

I don't have those 2 wide pins, like you showed in your post.

When I disconnect the white 12V socket (I measured first to be sure it's 12V), the tv starts, but no picture visible at all also no horizontal line. After one minute it goes to standby. Loewe's method to go into protection.

Comment

I don't have those 2 wide pins, like you showed in your post.

When I disconnect the white 12V socket (I measured first to be sure it's 12V), the tv starts, but no picture visible at all also no horizontal line. After one minute it goes to standby. Loewe's method to go into protection.
                  the panel old design. however at your case with white socket... keep the the white socket (12v feed ) in place. do same test by just disconnect the black one ( 24V ) as three time prefer with out any signal

Comment

Ok, I tried the same with the Black (24V) connector loose.
                    Again the tv boots up for one minute and goes back to standby.

Last attempt: I tried to disconnect the cables coming from the signal board. In previous (LCD) Loewe sets, the set doesn't go into standby again in case of screen problems, if those connectors were loose. Not the case in this OLED... No matter what I do, it always goes into standby again.
                    But during the time he's on and the supply is present: no bars visible.

Comment

you maybe have the tv on last state was standby.. so any time you plug it on wall socket it will boot and after finish the boot ( less than 1 minute ) go to stand by.
                      to by pass this last state condition... while the tv on and displaying picture.. plug it out from wall socket.... so next time it will turn on directly when you plug it back to wall socket

Comment

That’s the way for example Philips works.

In every Loewe service menu, you have an option “Warm Up Mode”. I don’t know why they choose that name, but if you select it ‘ON’, no matter what the previous condition was, he boots and stays on after plugged in into the wall socket.

A disadvantage of Loewe is the lack of error codes. They don’t know blinking red lights etc, to display an error. A critical error means Standby and that’s it.

But maybe another solution: I understand from your instructions, every LG OLED T-CON board has to do the measuring/calibration procedure with the horizontal bar, when there’s JUST 24V provided and no 12V.

When I completely disconnect the tv’s Power Supply and the signal board, but I let the 4 ribbon cables connected and I provide 24V on the black connector (but no 12V on the other), does it also do the procedure you told me?
                        I always can use an external 24V supply...
                        If the software in that T-CON does that procedure without the influence of the tv, it could be solved like that.

How long after providing the 24V does it take the bar becomes visible?
                        Last edited by Beeldbuisje; 09-15-2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

all tv have at service menu option of last state and all by default ON
                          don't and never apply any out source power to the T-CON driver..

if the last state didn't work with you.. don't try any things ells.. one user over here he was repairing LG OLED and he replace the T-CON driver boards... and it start display old image with the recent like the burn.. but downgrade the firmware and then upgrade solved the problem. and this can happen when T-CON ram didnt reset it self.. do we have this effect.... in case the film didn't burned

Comment

But normally, when your procedure works, does the T-CON provides that “bar” from his own, or does the motherboard in an LG TV sends this command?

Comment

T-CON Driver boards.... main boards had nothing to do.. you can take out the main boards totally out from the system. and cycle the power boards to turn on and drv on too so the power boards will turn on and supply 12 & 24V.... you can use them at any way you like

Comment

read the threat up my post 23

Comment

I read your suggestions like you described here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=22

I understand this is the way to check the status of my pixels, right?
                                  For trying that I have to move the tv to my cellar, because all the tools to do that are located in that part of my house. So if nescessary I'll do it later.

For now, I forced a JB-compensation in the service menu of that tv. After a while I got a small moving bar from top till bottom. I filmed the last part of it:
                                  https://www.dropbox.com/s/xv5d04we7t..._0265.mov?dl=0

Could that be the bar, I had to see after disconnecting the 12V plug?

Comment

I read your suggestions like you described here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=22

I understand this is the way to check the status of my pixels, right?
                                    For trying that I have to move the tv to my cellar, because all the tools to do that are located in that part of my house. So if nescessary I'll do it later.

For now, I forced a JB-compensation in the service menu of that tv. After a while I got a small moving bar from top till bottom. I filmed the last part of i

Could that be the bar, I had to see after disconnecting the 12V plug?
                                    yes.. this bar is (refresh scan reset) .. its look to me it look one color however you recorded it after it was at the half of the screen.. so i don't know how its look like at top half..!! ( one color as it show or it was with some red color points ) remember the effect (burn you think ) you have it at this top half screen. !!!

back to yours mention on my post yes the idea are the same.. but the way little different.. as the set mentioned before it got the 12v feed via LVDS from MB. yours got it direct from PWB as well the 24 volts.
                                    this mean you take out MB (main boards) totally as i described it at my post 15

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
                                      yes.. this bar is (refresh scan reset) .. its look to me it look one color however you recorded it after it was at the half of the screen.. so i don't know how its look like at top half..!! ( one color as it show or it was with some red color points ) remember the effect (burn you think ) you have it at this top half screen. !!!
                                      The colour on the upper half of the screen is the same. It's a very thin line, but in my opinion it seems like it's just white coloured. Not easy to see he adresses the whole WRGB, or only the white ones.
                                      I repeated this 3 times and there's totally no difference. Like the scanning does work, but the compensation doesn't.

But for now I'm not completely on with the next step...
                                      your method to do the scan refresh cycle with disconnecting the 12V doesn't work here. At least the line isn't visible after 1 minute when I disconnect that 12V connector. (One minute because my tv goes into protection)

So what I want to ask for now:

1. Using your method to manually force the TCON do the scan&refresh cycle. How long does it take to start producing that line? (Main board disconnected, Just 24V connected)

2. When I already had this line using the TV's service menu, and I don't see any difference, will your method do more?

Thanks btw, for your quick answers everytime

Comment

its not my method LOL.. its LG one. but they use their own Smart JIG diagnosis RAD32507801 unit which costs allot. so you can say its my own way to do it with 0$
                                        OLED panel and its T-CON Driver Boards are stand alone part. it had own SPI ( firmware) Ram & CPU. always we can run it as stand alone.. and feed it too with signal generator or use any Cheap 10$ LVDS signal broads. OR ANY CHINESE LCD projector signal boards too

i linked to you threat where the user faced displaying old image on his screen after he replacing the t-con boards. this tell us allot by doing more testing to insure we don't have film burn but its refresh issue.

3 time you did JB via service menu with no change to me nothings. if the JB was working then at least you got little better..

so if you don't know how to use yours power supply as stand alone with this part. i would suggest you stop doing any further steps.

Comment

Working...
                                        X