Vizio P-Series 4K tv with temporary sound and no picture P652ui-B2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vizio P-Series 4K tv with temporary sound and no picture P652ui-B2

Yes, I agree. The ribbon pins definitely appear as if they've been rammed up into the connector and even possibly broken off inside the connector. I will take the T-con board off its screws tomorrow to check for remnants of that. If there are pieces up inside the connector port that need to be dislodged, is there a trick to that or something simple that just works well?

The cleaning of it really didn't help, per se, but that is how I discovered that they were compromised .... when I went to use the isopropyl alcohol and saw that they were damaged. However, I do think the cleaning helped to improve the white screen scenario just a little bit.

I didn't think the previous owner had taken the back cover off and messed around with any of the boards / connectors, but maybe he did at one point in time and didn't want to admit it. That would explain why the white screen appears with its pink and green streaks.
    Last edited by kca; 10-15-2018, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Here's my plan as of the moment, then:

1) Check the T-con connector ports to see if there are any pin remnants up inside.

2) Try to obtain new ribbon cables. I want to get all 4 new ones, if possible, or at the very least one to replace the far left and one to replace the inner right (which, if you look closely, appears to be missing two pins on its far right edge).

An important question here is, ..... Can I replace these ribbon cables with others I might have laying around from other tv's that are the exact same width and approximately the same short kind of length or do I absolutely have to seek out ones specific to the Vizio P652ui-B2? Or, perhaps the Vizio P552ui-B2 would work as compatible because many of the components from one seem to be the same for the other.

3) It then becomes apparent that I am going to have to disconnect these T-con ribbon cables not only from the T-con board but also from the lower buffer boards (or, as they are sometimes called, the address boards) that lie a couple of inches under the T-con board. It looks like I might have to take off the bezel to get at these. Unless, perhaps, there is a method others are aware of that allows for their removal without the task of removing the bezel. That would be nice.

Here is a pretty clear (albeit upside down) picture of the ribbons as they enter the address board below the T-con on the left-hand side. The right-hand side is apparently much the same.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by kca; 10-15-2018, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Actually, I have answered a couple of my own questions from the last post.

From #2 above, I looked up the T-con to Panel cables for the P552ui-B2 (55") and they are definitely NOT a match for the 65" tv. The set I have requires these ribbon cables to be 80 pin. They P552ui-B2 cables are only 50 pins. At least that's what I think I counted on the online images. Hard to tell for sure, but it definitely wasn't 80 and was under 60. So, that's an no go, unfortunately, because there was a much larger selection of ribbons and cabling, in general, to choose from for the 55" model.

Still wondering if I can find the 80 pin cables that aren't an exact match and have them work, but it's looking like I will have to indeed find exact matches as the ones I have are specifically labeled with the following enumeration: 69.65T33.F17

#3 up above asked about taking off the bezel to get at the panel connectors. This turned out to be good news, as upon closer inspection i realized that I could get my fingers in there rather easily and pop up the little brown tab on each of the 4 connectors and release the ribbons thereafter with no issue at all. This will allow me to move the 4 ribbons around today after I inspect the connector ports for pin remnants.

I want to move the two good, intact, ribbons to the left side today as an experiment to see if I can get a picture to appear on the right-hand side when facing the screen. And, simultaneously, if I leave the right side ribbons disconnected, I am hoping to get an all-white image to appear there with no blotching or streaked discoloration. I'll try several different combinations and let you know what I find after I clear the ports. My guess is that the pin remnants are stuck up inside (especially on the far left port and maybe two small shards on the inner right as well), and they are the cause of the pink and greenish blotching / streaking upon the white background that I'm seeing as of now.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If it is just a matter of new cables, then, the only one (and I mean one as in singular) match that I found last night cost $15 for just that one ribbon. Not a great selection or price. Does anyone out there have a source where I might be able to get at least two of these (and preferably all four) for a more inexpensive price? Again, I think they have to be labeled as 69.65T33.F17 in order to fully and safely work.

Note: I looked for a T-con board that might already come with the 4 cables and that seemed impossible to find at this point in time. Maybe someone out there has this kind of set up they are willing to sell off of an old or broken Vizio P652ui-B2 model tv?

Also, I just realized that the 4 pictures of the ribbons I posted before were not in the correct order / image, so I am posting them here again to ensure they go through correctly. This time, I will post only two pics, one of the dual left cables and one of the dual right.

Looks to me like the far left is definitely compromised, the two inner ribbons might both be slightly compromised with two pins missing each, and the only one of the four that appears completely intact with all of its 80 pins is the one on the far right.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by kca; 10-16-2018, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Are you releasing the latch before you insert the cables?

Comment

Yes, I am very careful with them. I think the ribbons were damaged well before I received the set as the previous owner was reporting that 1/2 the picture would show up (very intermittently), but the other half would then appear as what he called "fuzzy". To the point where it was so bothersome to him that he gave the tv away without cost.

The vast majority of the time, he said, there was no picture at all. Which is the same thing that I have been experiencing when trying to repair it.
            Last edited by kca; 10-16-2018, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Okay. Here's what happened this morning:

I took out all 4 cables from both their T-con and Panel connection ports and inspected all 8 ports. None of them appeared to have any remnants of broken off pins in them. They all looked clear and clean, and uniform in that way. Doesn't explain where the broken off pins went, but I don't have an answer for that.

Then, I decided to switch the ribbons around with the hope that I could generate a picture on the right-hand side of the screen (the side that had previously always been showing white / pink / green).

So, I took the two right-hand ribbons (facing the back of the panel now) and moved them over to the left. And, did vice-versa with left-hand ribbons going over to the right.

Here is the exact exchange pattern:

Far right went over to far left.
              Far left went over to far right.
              Inner right went to inner left and inner left (of course) went to inner right.

Results:

No change in picture. It was still black. Sound was still present. It cycled through many times with the sound being the only evidence of it functioning, except for the note below. Interestingly, the 16 blink followed by 13 blink pattern is now entirely gone. That actually started last night (see Post #17).

The only ray of hope was when I first turned it on and was searching through the black screen for the correct HDMI option (not easy, but I can get it with the Input button on the remote and various attempts) in order to get the sound and hopefully the picture to show. As I said up above in this post, no picture ever appeared, but there was a brief moment (maybe 4-5 seconds) where the full and entire Vizio logo showed up on screen. This logo also appeared over the last couple of days, preceding the half-picture appearing events. I can't recall whether it was the full logo or a half-logo at those times, but this morning it was DEFINITELY a full "V" logo.

Then .... with these ribbons now essentially reversed from their original positions, I decided to connect and disconnect all of these 4 ribbons in every possible way to hopefully generate some kind of picture and a further clue. Nothing changed. Black screen only. Sound present. No 16/13 blinks. And the sound goes for about 2 minutes, then shuts off for 30 seconds, then audible again for 2 more minutes, then off for 30 seconds, ..... and repeats itself indefinitely.

I've had it on for the last 2 hours in this manner, with all 4 of the ribbons in and connected. Doing it this way because the ONLY time I have ever generated any kind of picture / half-picture / backlights in play was when all 4 of the ribbons were in place. Take any one or two or three out, ... and that action seems to deny the functioning of any backlights.

So, with all of that, I do have one question that arises:

1) Does the fact that the entire "V" logo appeared in full most likely mean that the backlights are functioning on both sides of the screen? It seemed that way, but maybe the logo's appearance is somehow independent of the backlights? Not sure. But, I'd like to think that the logo proves backlights theory is at play.

Overall, .... any new ideas out there? Each time I get feedback it definitely helps to get me closer to the solution.
              Last edited by kca; 10-16-2018, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Just ordered three new T-Con to Panel LVDS ribbon cables. All were marked with the 69.65T33.F17 Part # enumeration. Should be here in about 5 days. Only got three because 1 that I currently have is definitely still good.

Figured that if I have any shot at all at fixing this up, I am going to need 4 functioning ribbons in both the short run and long run anyway.

Comment

Hey all ~
                  Last edited by kca; 10-18-2018, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Something completely different just now:

This screen image (see photos below .... they’re upside-down again) appeared as a result of my having all 4 ribbons in and in the following order:

As seen from the back, facing the T-con board and its 4 bottom-edge ribbons that go out to the panel ...

The only ribbon whose pins were / are still intact = Far left now (originally was far right)

Slightly damaged = Inner left now (originally was inner right)
                    The other slightly damaged = Inner right now (originally was inner left)

and
                    The one that was clearly the most damaged in terms of the pins = Far right now (originally was far left.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by kca; 10-18-2018, 03:30 PM.

Comment

3 new ribbons are on their way in the mail. Hopefully here by Saturday.

I’m hoping they are all that’s needed to complete the image in full without flaw and that the tv will stay on as opposed to shutting down after 2-3 minutes (which is what it did again today in the aftermath of these new images). I expected that, but am hopeful that the shutdowns are the set simply detecting the T-con to Panel ribbon pin deficiencies.

Any insights you guys may have based on the above images would be most appreciated.

Note: The only reason, I think, that the No Signal box was appearing on screen was because it was searching for HDMI 1 and I had the cord plugged into HDMI 2 at that point in time today. I did not have time to switch it over before the tv automatically shut down.

Also, there was an onscreen menu that appeared for the first 5-10 seconds but I couldn’t grab the phone quick enough to capture that. Importantly, perhaps though, I did notice that some of these menu images were obscured behind and “underneath” the thin, white vertical lines on the right-hand side of the screen itself. It was the same as what you see in the above photo where the word Signal is obscured underneath the thin, white vertical lines in “No Signal”.
                      Last edited by kca; 10-18-2018, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Having the full VISIO logo show up does not mean you don't have bad LEDs, because the LEDs are tested AFTER power-up. However, looking at your last set of pictures, it doesn't look like any LEDs are bad.

If the new cables don't fix the display, I would suspect that the TCOM was damaged from shorts in the ribbon cable.

Comment

Thanks. I was thinking much the same thing, especially about the T-Con Board having possibly been damaged.

Within the last two hours, I also got a full screen image to show via the HDMI 2 port. It was very odd. Multi-colored (like, rainbow-type colorations) formed silhouettes in and around all of the human images (about 5 people were in the frame then) and these “outlined hues” traveled with the people as they moved through the shot. Like, glowing ghost-like images made up of blues, yellows, greens pinks and purples. I only left it on for about 30 seconds. Didn’t want to risk any further damage before the ribbons arrive in the mail. I wasn’t able to catch any pics of it, but if it shows up again then I’ll try to capture it.

Does that sound more like a result of a damaged T-con or could it still be just the faulty ribbons causing havoc?

Comment

It's possible that some of the ribbon signals are not making contact. One thing that you could try, is cut about 0.05" off the top of the one bad ribbon. You also may need to extend the notches on the side of the cable by the same amount. This may allow the signals that may not be making contact finally connect. Basically, you're cutting off all the damage to the cable. There isn't much risk of damaging things any further (you're going to replace the cable anyway), so I would try it. There is still enough exposed contacts to complete the connections.

Comment

Sounds like a good idea. Like this then, cutting along the green line, right?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Have some related questions at this juncture as well:

1) Can I perform any kind of test to see if the T-con board has suffered damage?

2) If the T-con board is damaged, how much risk is there that the new ribbons I'll be inserting will take on their own damage as a result of a faulty T-con?

3) Can a T-con board with a design like this (a left chip and a right chip) be damaged, and therefore defective, only on one of the halves? I'm asking this because I was able to briefly generate a quite clear picture on the left half of the screen just a couple of days ago. Please see earlier posts.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by kca; 10-19-2018, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kca View Post
                                  Have some related questions at this juncture as well:

1) Can I perform any kind of test to see if the T-con board has suffered damage?

Without advanced equipment, the only way I know how to test a TCON is to hook it up and power it on.

2) If the T-con board is damaged, how much risk is there that the new ribbons I'll be inserting will take on their own damage as a result of a faulty T-con?

The ribbons are only extensions of traces. So unless there are AMPS (there aren't) running thru them, your chance of damaging them is slim.

3) Can a T-con board with a design like this (a left chip and a right chip) be damaged, and therefore defective, only on one of the halves? I'm asking this because I was able to briefly generate a quite clear picture on the left half of the screen just a couple of days ago. Please see earlier posts.

Yes
                                  Cutting on the green line is what you want to do.

Comment

Thanks much, SLK001, for the replies.

One other question that came to mind:

1) How can these ribbon pins suffer this kind of damage in the first place?

I can’t tell if the affected pins were burned off from high heat or severed off at some point from lack of care when inserting. I don’t quite understand how they can be so erratically damaged across the width of the ribbon, with some being perfectly fine and others right next door having half-vanished. What’s the most likely cause, based on the photo with the green “cut” line on it?

Comment

i don't think you got the "whole story" from the owner... or maybe his "help diagnose person". :-)
                                      Last edited by budwich; 10-19-2018, 10:45 AM.

Comment

They were damage by someone that does not know what they are doing and not releasing the locks and just jaming the cable into the connector. Thats the only way they get damaged like that.

Comment

Makes the most sense, yes.

Previous owner did mention he got it after is was used as a demo model, so I was thinking that the high / extended heat might be at play as well. Not sure how many hours it has on it. I’ll try to check that after I get a clear and stable picture to arise.

Comment

Working...
                                          X