X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vizio P-Series 4K tv with temporary sound and no picture P652ui-B2

Originally posted by kca View Post
    One other question that came to mind:

1) How can these ribbon pins suffer this kind of damage in the first place?
    It's possible that the cable was always like that and time took its toll on it. If it was damaged during someone's ineptitude repair techiques, then I would expect to see remnents of the cable, either still on the cable, or in the connector itself. Either way, it doesn't really matter.

If you're like me, you got the TV for a song, so if you can't fix it, you're not out all that much.

Comment

A free song, in fact.

The ribbons are due here in a few hours now. Fingers crossed they are all that’s needed. Will update soon. Thanks all.

Comment

Well, the ribbons came today and they all looked good. Did not, however, get the magic I was looking for. I will try to quickly summarize the results:

1) Put the three new ones in along with the 4th original that still looked good. Nothing showed up on the screen at first and it started to do its Black Screen/Sound present for 2 minutes then click off and back on routine, when on the 3rd or 4th cycle of this the Vizio logo showed up and I got the left-hand side of the screen to show up with the white/pink/green showing on the other half.

So, in other words, it was behaving very much the same as it did two days ago and the new ribbons did not seem to have any effect. (the order at this point, when viewed from the back was ... Original ~ New ~ New ~ New). The set shut down after two minutes but I was able to capture the pictures below.

2) Then, I decided to disconnect the left-side cable from the top of the T-con that comes over from the Main Board. My hope here was that I could finally generate the half-screen image on the left (when facing from the front) and a pure white screen on the right because this left-hand cable was now not even reaching the T-con itself. However, the results were much the same here also when compared to a couple of days ago when I tried the same thing. Just a black screen and the sound present. Not having this cable in seems to deny the picture every time. Just like not having all four of the bottom ribbons in seems to deny the possibility of a picture as well. At least that's the pattern on both counts after about 30 tries and 3 days of effort.

3) Then I plugged the Main Board to T-con cable back in and switched around the order of the 4 ribbons at the bottom. The result here was that the Vizio logo showed up upon startup, and this time I got the half-picture on the left which was perfectly fine and on the right were the thin, white vertical lines (about a dozen of them) that showed up once upon a time before (see Post #29 from this thread).

4) Then I switched the order of the ribbons one more time and got the "rainbow solarization" look that I also experienced once before.

In short, it has done every crazy thing today with the new ribbons that it did over the last two days with only the original ribbons in. No breakthroughs at all, really, and I never have achieved a perfect picture on both sides of the screen .... not even briefly.

Importantly, it is still completely unpredictable as to when the Vizio logo will appear and I get some kind of imaging immediately thereafter and when it just powers up Black Screen with sound only present. Most of the time (maybe 80% to 90%) it is without picture. But then, just when I least expect it, it will come on. The only pattern I can detect at all here is that when I pull the ribbons out of the bottom of the T-con and rearrange their order, there is a MUCH better chance that I will get the Vizio logo and resultant image upon startup. I haven't counted, specifically, but I would say this has happened about 4 out of the last 6 or 7 times.

So ......... Does all this point to the T-con itself needing to be replaced? Seems like it's the likely culprit at this point in time. I am thinking there is a small chance that it might also be the ribbon that comes from the Main Board over to the T-con, but I think that is unlikely. I read online, based off of several different websites, that the "solarization" image is very likely, if not assuredly, a problem with the T-con itself. Does that theory make sense? If so, I can order one for about $30 and give it a try along with the 3 new ribbons and the originally good ribbon in play as well.

Note: Sorry I didn't get the solarization image while it was on, nor did I get the thin, white vertical lines on the right-hand side image. But, below you can see the pics that show what I described in Point #1 above.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by kca; 10-19-2018, 09:31 PM.

Comment

I would imagine that the side of the TCON which had the bad cable was damaged by it. Usually, when you see a "half and half" screen like you have, it is the TCON which bit the dust. Sometimes, it is a bad screen, but you have seen enough activity on the bad side to eliminate that.
          As for flipping the ribbon cables around, don't do that anymore than you have to. Get a display and stop.
          If the TV shuts down, it is detecting a fault in one of the boards. The TV CAN'T detect a fault in the screen, but it can the TCON, so it is looking more and more like a bad TCON. We can also do a failure analysis on the TCON - the ribbon cable most likely shorted a signal line, which blew the line driver on the TCON.

Looks to me like a new TCON is in order.

Comment

Thanks much, SLK001, for the comprehensive reply. I agree that all the signs are there for it to be the T-con that’s faulty including the very consistent pattern of the tv detecting a fault and shutting itself down, which I meant to emphasize in my last post.

I was not aware that the tv could not detect a fault in the screen but only in the boards themselves. That’s good information for me and others to know going forward.

I’ll follow your advice and not move the ribbons around anymore until the new T-con board arrives. May have to order it from China (which I prefer not to do in most cases) as I can’t find one in stock here in the States at the moment.

If anyone out there is reading this and has access to a working T-con they’d like to sell specifically for a Vizio P652ui-B2 television, here are the relevant Board and Part #’s and a link to the ShopJimmy site:

———————————————————————-

https://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-55-6...-con-board.htm

———————————————————————-

Vizio 55.65T33.C02 T-Con Board
            $29.00
            Email me when this item is in-stock
            This item is out of stock. The odds we'll get it soon:
            Bad (What does this mean?)

sj-55.65T33.C02
            180-Day Warranty
            Part number can be found on the white barcode sticker.

IMPORTANT: Horizontal lines on the screen are virtually NEVER caused by a bad T-con board. Horizontal lines indicate a defective LCD panel (screen).
            SKU: sj-55.65T33.C02
            Warranty: 180-Day Warranty
            Part Type: T-Con Board, LCD Controller, Control Board, CTRL Board, Timing Control
            Part Number: 55.65T33.C02
            Part Usage: LCD
            Board Number(s): T650QVF04.0 CTRL BD, 65T33-C00
            Substitute Parts: KIT-P652UI-B2-K1
            Panel Sticker Number: T650QVF04.0
            Panel Manufacturer: AUO
            Notes, Comments & Additional Information: ShopJimmy recommends ordering by part number whenever possible. Often times there are TV models that use more than one set of parts and/or panels.
            Brands: Vizio
            Important Message: Part number can be found on the white barcode sticker.

IMPORTANT: Horizontal lines on the screen are virtually NEVER caused by a bad T-con board. Horizontal lines indicate a defective LCD panel (screen).
            TV Part Types: T-Con
            TV Models:
            Vizio
            P652UI-B2 LWJARJAR
            P652UI-B2 LWZARJAQ
            Last edited by kca; 10-20-2018, 09:07 AM.

Comment

China has stock? If so, I would jump on one in an instant. Just make sure they use a tracked shipment (like ePacket, or similar).

Comment

Just did about an hour ago. Figured it might be weeks or months waiting for one here, so went with BuyQual and an e-packet, trackable delivery. Did this once before and it took about 10 or 12 days to arrive, as I recall. Not ideal, but better than nothing. Just one of those particular parts that seems very rare and largely unavailable.

Comment

I've had pretty good luck ordering from China. If you use a credit card, or even PayPal, it there is no delivery, you can always get a charge-back.

Comment

Yes, I used PayPal for that very reason.

Q: I am under the impression that usually a bad side of the T-con would normally generate a white screen (i.e., a pure white screen) on that side, or if a person unhooked the cable leading from the main board into that bad half of the T-con that the good half of the T-con would likely still generate a half-picture and that the other half would show white.

Is that normally true with a T-con designed like the one I have here?

Asking because I didn’t get that result in either scenario. My results were just the black screen with sound. In other words, was it somewhat expected that the picture would be completely denied if any of the 6 (2 top cables and 4 bottom ribbons) are not in place and functioning, or if all 6 are in but the T-con is “half-dead”?
                    Last edited by kca; 10-20-2018, 03:06 PM.

Comment

It's possible that only part of one side is bad. What it will display depends on what is wrong with it. Most of your pics show a bad TCON in one way or the other.

Comment

I have an idea. It may help you or me or both. But, if you get me your address, I can send my boards to you so you can further diagnose, maybe, and possibly get yours working. In turn, if you get it working, verify that mine may be good or bad. We would be just out the shipping back and forth. Sound like an idea?

Comment

Hello Goznu ~

I do like that idea, yes. Right now, I have that T-con board coming over from China and I plan on installing it as soon as it arrives. I'm hesitant to make any other changes or alterations until I get a chance to see if that T-Con will work and do the trick by itself.

But, if that doesn't work, I'd be happy to take you up on your offer and make that exchange with you. Which boards do you have available for that? Would it be all 4? The PSU, the T-Con, the Main Board and the LED Inverter Board?

I do have one other question maybe you could help me with now. When I took the back panel off, and began to deal with the T-con area, I can't quite recall if the silver, metal plate that protects the T-con had six screws in it or not. I think it did, and it almost seems like it must have in order to be properly affixed tovthe frame of the set, but I can't seem to find them right now.

I'm assuming you have a P652ui-B2 set where perhaps you could take a look or maybe you can recall how yours looked when you took it apart.

Thanks, in advance, for your reply and for anyone's advice on how this metal plate needs to be affixed in order for it to be correct and safe.

Note: The 1st picture below shows the six places where there are arrows stamped into the metal. The 2nd one shows a close up of one of those arrows.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by kca; 10-24-2018, 05:26 PM.

Comment

If the panel is bad, putting in a new TCON could damage the new TCON.

Comment

Yes, there is that risk. But it’s one I’m willing to take at this point as there’s seemingly no other way to verify if it’s the T-con or the panel.

Comment

When I get the “solarized” picture, it stretches all the way from the left side of the screen to the right side. My assumption is that that would not be possible if the panel is damaged (on the right-hand side half).

Does that sound right and is that a logical conclusion to make?

Comment

I would say that your panel doesn't look like it is bad. Shorted line drivers or capacitors usually present as a black display.

Comment

Hello all ~

Well, I got the new T-Con board in from China and installed it. Had momentary high hopes because the Vizio logo came immediately on, but then it displayed very much like before with the picture coming in on the left side and the right side still showing the white / pink / green combination.

After that, and for the last 24 hours or so, it has resumed its highly erratic pattern where the screen won't show at all (i.e., just black, because the backlights do not get activated), yet the sound still works. That happens about 90%- 95% of the time. On occasion, and very unpredictably so, the screen will light up just when I least expect it to do so. Sometimes this happens upon power being applied, and sometimes it has happened during one of the long on / off cycles as I let the tv just run for a couple of hours to try to detect any signs of life or patterns.

In short, then, it's pretty much behaving like it did when I had the original T-con board still in. Erratic, unpredictable, and frustratingly unpatterned. And, the right-hand side has yet to show any actual picture.

Below, I am posting 3 pictures:

1. The first one is from about two weeks ago, when I got a relatively good picture on the left and the white/pink/green on the right. Notice the black, vertical line near the middle.

2. The second photo is from just a day or two after that, when I did not have the HDMI plugged in, but was encouraged by the white, vertical lines that appeared on the right-hand side.

3. Now, the third picture is from today, when I was lucky enough to have the backlights suddenly spring to life after about a half hour of nothing on the screen. Notice the slightly green vertical area that matches up with the black, vertical bar in Photo #1 below. This isn't the major concern, of course, because that's the entire right-hand side being still inactive and not producing a picture. But, I thought this black, vertical patch vs. the green vertical patch might provide someone with a clue as to what's going on.

Note: One interesting pattern that appears to be the case is that whenever it does suddenly generate the backlight, it will shut down after two minutes and go back to sound only (this has always been the case), ..... but then I have never seen it generate the backlights again while the power is still being supplied. In other words, if I leave the power cord in, the screen will "come to life" once, .... but only once. I just left it in this state for over an hour after I saw the backlights, but for this last hour it only displays the black screen and continually cycles on and off with the sound being the only thing that is operational. The same has always been true for the last three weeks or so that I have had the set in my possession. It is almost as though the tv needs a reset of the power supply to even have a chance at regenerating the picture. Does this provide any type of clue?
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by kca; 11-02-2018, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Just decided to try it without the HDMI in (DirecTV has always been the source here), and expected to maybe see the multiple, white, vertical lines as seen in Photo #2 from my last post, but instead I got the following images (see below). As you can see, it says No Signal, and the image tries to "bleed" into the white/pink/green area (if you look closely, you can see the word Signal creep into this blurred out area), but it only goes a few inches onto that side. Maybe if there was a "longer" horizontal image, it would continue to do the same into the white/pink/green abyss.

Anyway, the point is that the set it basically generating, or trying to generate, the same image result whether the HDMI cord is in or not.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by kca; 11-02-2018, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Q: Is there a possibility that all of this trouble on the right-hand side of the screen could be caused by a faulty ribbon running from the Digital Main Board down to the T-con board.

There are to ribbon cables there, one thicker than the other, and maybe the one that is thicker and controls the left-hand side of the screen is basically okay and the thinner one is defective. Can that type of scenario generate the white / pink / green screen that is the one stable element of consternation here?

I suppose other possibilities might be that the origin of the problem is in the Digital Main Board itself or maybe even some kind of fault or misconnection between the T-Con and the panel (meaning, if it isn't being caused by any of the 4 white ribbons coming off the bottom of the T-con board, maybe it goes wrong just after that as the signal tries to get from the last connector in this series directly into the panel itself)?

I have changed these 4 ribbons around enough to think that they are not the problem itself. No matter the sequence I tried (both 10 days ago and in just this last day), the picture always remains the same .... when it deigns to come on at all.

Comment

have you looked closely at the main to tcon cables... remember what you found with the tcon to panel cables. Odds are likely the same "person" / "fingers" were in the other cables also.

Comment

Working...
                                          X