Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you remove/install LCD panels from TV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you remove/install LCD panels from TV?

So, yesterday I dinged an LCD panel on a rack and cracked it, the TV was a write off. I noticed there was a LOT of flex in the glass as I took it off the TV and turned to put it on the rack. I was moving too fast because the amount of flex worried me, I didn't want it to crack, and I wanted to get it onto a flat surface for storage while I changed some lights, unfortunately my haste caused my fear to come true.

So. how do YOU move the LCD panel when you need to get to the LED lamps?

My process so far, (I've only done this a half dozen times,) is to:

1. Lay the TV face down, get the back off, disconect the ribbon cables to the LCD driver boards, remove the screws for the front bezel.

2. Flip the TV over (LCD up) and remove the front bezel.

3. Then I try to carefully lift the LCD panel up and off the TV and place it on a flat surface for storage.

4. Once it's out of the way there is usually a second bezel and then the plexiglass and mylar screens to remove and then I've got access to the lamps.

5. I've been replaceing individual lamps in place without removing strips. I've found that if you cut/scrape the plastic off the old LED you get to a metal plate that is easily heated and removed with a soldering iron, I solder new ones in and use clear silicon to 'glue' the reflector back on. I replaced nine LEDs yeaterday in well under an hour. ( a set from Shop Jimmy would be $100+ including freight)

I'd like to hear from anyone who has found a 'better way', tips, tricks and hacks welcomed, I'm sure we could all learn something.

JayArr

Re: How do you remove/install LCD panels from TV?

I have been using two of the items below (got them at Harbor Freight). I have used them to successfully remove up to 65" panels. Once off, I lean the panel against a wall. I learned early on that an LCD panel cannot support its own weight.

Attached Files

Comment

I use a single sucker to lift a corner then slide cardboard ( from a large Tv box ) under the whole screen then lift it and put it on bubblewrap behind me. Havent cracked one yet touch wood.

Comment

Following some advice previously posted here, I keep the tv vertical leaning the panel against the back of my couch from my carpeted floor with the tab bonds up. I lean the diffuser sheets against it to keep same order and orientation. This also minimizes dust and handling and no suction cups needed. Biggest tv done this way was a 60 inch Vizio.
        Last edited by neilc6; 05-08-2019, 01:03 PM.

Comment

1) Place TV face down on soft rolled up towels or foam "pool noodles" to remove back of TV.

2) unclip any wires or harnesses at this point that are east to reach.

3) Flip TV over and support on flat surface so that no circuit board are supporting weight of TV.

4) Remove front bezel and any clips or screws that hold panel together.

5) Gently fold the small circuit boards with flex cables toward front of LCD screen and TAPE to the screen so the ribbon cables are not free to move or get caught on something.

6a) For small TVs up to 32", I can remove LCD screen horizontally or vertically without too much trouble.

6b) For medium TVs 42" to 50" , I usually tilt the panel up from its place in the panel assembly and remove VERTICALLY.

As neilc6 says, LCD can be placed gently against a wall with its diffuser sheets. I recommend using several pieces of masking tape to hold the diffuser layers to the panel to keep their order, prevent dust or debris from getting in between, and minimize chance of them separating and crumpling to the floor in a heap.

ENSURE FOAM PIECES ARE ACCURATELY PLACED ON FLOOR OR STORAGE AREA BEFORE MOVING PANEL. The last thing you want is to be awkwardly holding a fragile panel and then shuffling foam pieces or supports with your feet while losing your balance...

DO NOT STORE LCD SCREEN WITH ANY PRESSURE ON TAB BONDS. PLACE LCD ON FOAM.

6c) For large TVs 50" to 90", removal is performed ABSOLUTELY VERTICAL. Tilt the TV into suitable orientation then LIFT panel VERTICALLY. Usually TV base is not installed at this point so when you tip the TV up, Ensure TV will not slip out along floor and crash with damage. Using small pieces of "foam pool noodles" prevents slipping and damage.

Like a glass window, glass has all the strength in the world when held vertically, but is extremely fragile in horizontal orientation. Think of a window installer truck - windows always transported vertical, never horizontal.

If your TV is supported vertically, you can easily remove and transport LCD panel by yourself or with help of an assistant without chance of bending/flexing or damaging LCD.

Also very easy to move around your workspace because you can easily fit through doorways or narrow spaces without re-positioning the panel.

I have never cracked a panel, nor have I ever needed fancy suction cups. In fact, DO NOT use large suction cups. Some suction cups are so strong, you risk de-laminating the LCD panel, or locally cracking the fragile LCD panel. My biggest and only worry is oily fingerprints on inside of LCD panel surface that I forget to wipe... Often if I use clean fabric gloves this is not an issue at all.

I have not tried using a large piece of cardboard as suggested by user "sintv" because of high change of introducing dust or debris between panel and diffuser layers or risk of scratching rear of LCD by accident, but it is a simple solution. Once of the largest pains is trying to remove dust or lint or hair that gets trapped between panel layers once assembled. Especially on 4K TVs where it is very noticeable.

Be prepared for dust/lint/hair by having an automotive "tack cloth" within reach. A "tack" cloth lets you remove lint or dust without streaking or introducing more debris.
          Last edited by Unspun01; 05-15-2019, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X