LG 42PJ350 Clicking Troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 42PJ350 Clicking Troubleshooting

Bolstered by the guidance provided in this thread - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...61#post1003961, I ordered a replacement Power Supply Board and read through the 'training' manual linked in the thread in preparation to install the new board (and solve the faulty startup process). I have two questions:

1) My 42PJ350 was produced in Mexico and the ID plate *does not* have the Vs/Va voltages stated below the mains voltage. The line below the 'Power' is 'Manufactured' with no space/line between to provide the configuration voltages. Is there a known fixed voltage provided by new boards for Mexico assemblies? What should I use for Va/Vs when nothing is specified on the label?

2) The training manual states that the SMPS should always have a load when voltages are set. The recommendation is two 100W lightbulbs in series on Pin 1/2 of the P811 connector. I read this as an inductive load ... but 'normal' incandescent light bulbs are no longer available - only the energy-efficient (and I assume lower inductance) LED lightbulbs. Is there an equivalent circuit that would emulate the incandescent lightbulbs needed? Or am I misinterpreting the current LED lightbulb electrical characteristics (I have not actually 'tested' one)?

The SMPS board I purchased is 'new' so Va and VS are factory set.

Any help would be appreciated - Thanks in advance.

(Note I had originally posted this by adding it to a very old thread which is now on the second page of this forum category with no replies added. I was unable to delete the post from that thread (how?) so am posting it as a new thread here. I apologize if this is interpreted as annoying. Also, the TV currently occupies the kitchen table that would normally be used for today's Thanksgiving Feast, hence the incentive for a resolution of the repair problem)
    Last edited by Igor_van_Dame; 11-26-2020, 04:26 AM.

Re: LG 42PJ350 Clicking Troubleshooting

This is from another post on this site giving the various voltages
    Attached Files
    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Thanks for the response Dick, but this is the PSU board not the Y-SUS. Even the image you linked is dependent on the voltages listed on the Serieal Number label on the back cover of the TV. Mine has no such voltages provided. From what I read from other posts, each TV had a different VS/VA voltage required to properly adjust it. That was normally on the label.

My dilemma is what to do when no voltage is specified on the label. Did LG straighten out the manufacturing process such that all Va?Vs settings were fixed/the same from the Mexico plant?

I'm also assuming that taking voltage readings from the 'bad' board will do no good since the very defect may make those voltages incorrect.

Comment

The image says its a 42PJ350 Ysus board but it gives the Va and Vs voltages on the chart. I wouldn't expect, but could be wrong, that the country would make any difference to these voltages.

Comment

My apologies, dick_barton for my stubbornness. I was so focused on the fact that the manual stated to not use the voltages (Vs/Va) 'in the book' but only the ones on the label ... and the fact that the label I was looking at did not have voltages listed ... that I didn't realize that I was the 'blind one'.

The manual states that the label is on 'the back of the TV' which I interpreted as 'on the back cover' of the TV. In fact there are two labels, one on the back of the TV cover and in the upper left of the aluminum frame supporting the screen and the control boards for the TV. *That* label *does* have the voltages on it.

Surprisingly enough, the numbers *are* identical to those in the manual (60/205) and as shown in your attached image.

I should have included images of the label I was looking at in my post and you all would have corrected me from the start.

So, thank you for your patience with me.

---------------------------------------------

I still would like a clarification regarding the use of LED lights vs 'legacy' incandescent bulbs to load the circuit. Is there indeed a difference in inductive load between them. Also the manual specifies 2x 100w, can the wattage be lower? Since they are in series, can I connect the equivalent of 2x60w + 2x 40W for example if that is all I have in old bulbs?

Comment

Not a problem. Life is just one big learning curve.

Comment

Working...
            X