• Show
Clear All

CMR or SMR?

What would you rather use?
    CMR
    0%
    SMR
    0%
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Re: CMR or SMR?

I don't really have a preference.....I've never paid much attention when looking at NAS or NVR/DVR HDD's.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

If given a choice, why would anyone prefer SMR?

Unless you mean, taking also capacity into consideration.

Comment

I have an SMR drive in my main system. It's only a data drive (no software), so speed doesn't matter that much. It's one of those drives that wasn't advertised as an SMR drive, but it's good enough for what I'm doing.

Comment

Whatever I got the better deal on. Not sure what my server backup drive is... 4TB iron wolf NAS drive I got at a pawn shop for virtually free and then RMA'd since it was still under warranty. The main drives are CMR's for sure... desktop 1 platter 7200RPM 250GB seagates (15 of them). OS drive is a CMR Seagate 7200 80GB (smallest SATA drive I've ever seen, only good use for it).
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

CMR. Unless managed properly, you can expect problems with SMR drives.
            Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
            1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

I did a lot of research before I bought two new 6GB NAS drives. Nobody has anything positive to say about SMR's performance or longevity. Price and capacity seem to be its main advantages but, if you're looking at a once-every-five-years purchase like a NAS upgrade, you might as well shell out a few extra bucks for the more reliable solution. Rebuilding those drives is a pain and takes forever.

Comment

Yep. 24 hours minimum to write 4TB to my 4TB external drive (which is SMR), and at least 18 hours to immediately read it all back and write to to a CMR drive.

Meanwhile, I can move 4TB from one CMR drive to another in 10 hours.
                Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Meh, where's the option for longitudinal recording?!
                  (OK, I suppose that still falls under CMR. )

My 80 GB Samsung-made Samsung PATA/IDE HDD is still happily clunking away as we speak here.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    Meh, where's the option for longitudinal recording?!
                    (OK, I suppose that still falls under CMR. )

My 80 GB Samsung-made Samsung PATA/IDE HDD is still happily clunking away as we speak here.

That's no surprise, it was made before Samsung exited the HDD market and basically sold the whole division to Seagate. I suffered a major data loss event thanks to a 2014-era Samsung external drive, which was nothing more than a rebadged Seagate drive.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X