• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sony Bravia no Picture

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
    or a defective fuse.
    That made my day.

@ OP: be sure to remove the jumper and drop in a new 5A fuse when the new board arrives - you don't want to melt anything. I've done that enough times.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
      Well, the answer won't give you a lot of comfort. That circuit is the switch supplying power to the panel. Nothing on this section of the schematic could cause the fuse to blow, even if it shorted out. The conclusions are a tcon or panel drawing too much current, or a defective fuse. If you notice the shaded triangle with the ! next to the fuse, that fuse is a safety item.

PlainBill
      Well I could be wrong here, but the t-con has a 3A fuse (not sure of it's voltage), which is less than the 5A fuse on the main board. So if the panel or t-con itself was drawing too much current than theoretically should't the 3A fuse blow first?

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
        That made my day.

@ OP: be sure to remove the jumper and drop in a new 5A fuse when the new board arrives - you don't want to melt anything. I've done that enough times.
        thats why you use a tiny strand of wire

was that out loud?

yeah man it had to blow for a reason. If after fuse replacement it stays working, what the hell man go with it. Im sure you probhably already have the damn thing back togther, but take it back apart and put that fuse in there. Id hate to hear from you a month from now saying " damn sony burned my house down!"

Usually after i fix tvs i make them my personal tv for a week. if all is good they they go back to thier owner or up for sale depending. ( and sometimes i just cant help but keep them for myself)

im definately going to remember this post the next time i have to deal with a headache kdl series sony. As if the kraptastic lcd panel isnt enough on these pieces of poo

Comment

Somewhere around I have exhibit 'B' for this issue. Exhibit 'A' is no longer in my possession.

Long version. Years ago I swapped for a crappy Compaq notebook - probably a '486 based system. (Yeah, that long ago). One of the problems was a circular dead spot the size of a dime in the lower right corner of the display. After buying a parts system and some more swapping I wound up with one pretty good system and one that worked but had a bad display. Both went on to other users. So much for exhibit 'A'.

About two years ago I advertised on the local Freecycle "Looking for non-working monitors." One of the items I picked up was a 15" Acer monitor that used an external power supply. As soon as I saw it I knew that was going to be a parts monitor - it looked like the top of the case had melted, and there was a dark spot about the size of a match head toward the upper right corner of the screen. The explanation offered for the melted case was that the monitor wouldn't come on unless it was warm in the room, so the owner had used a hair dryer to heat it up!!! Testing the monitor showed 'no backlight'. I opened it up, used a 'case mod inverter' to power the backlights and turned it on. Yes, it's working, but this dark spot is now a bright spot. OOOHH!! Burned out transistors!! I turn off the power to the inverter and I see the spot is still glowing. SOMETHING is getting hot in there!!!.

Now, could shorting transistors (or drivers) in an LCD panel start a fire? I don't know, but I sure wouldn't want to find out.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by tlm387 View Post
            Well I could be wrong here, but the t-con has a 3A fuse (not sure of it's voltage), which is less than the 5A fuse on the main board. So if the panel or t-con itself was drawing too much current than theoretically should't the 3A fuse blow first?
            Maybe. Or maybe the tcon has multiple fuses off the power input. It's a much larger scale, but at one time fuses in a home fusebox all had identical bases. If a 15 amp fuse blew, put in a 20 amp or 30 amp. Heck, put in a penny!!! Guess how many fires started that way?

Now, you are a grown-up, it's your TV, you can do what you want with it. Myself, I would remove the solder, put an ammeter across the blown fuse and see how much current is drawn. If it's well below 5 amps I'd replace the fuse. If it's close to or more than 5 amps, I'd find out where the current is going.

PlainBill
            Last edited by PlainBill; 03-19-2011, 08:08 AM.
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Yeah I want to test the current load at that point, but it is on the underside of the main board and will be very difficult to measure with everything plugged in.

I only bridged the fuse so that I could see if that fuse was the issue. I have only tested the tv once and I am not leaving it plugged in unattended. So until the new main board comes in I will not be enjoying this tv.

Comment

Yeah I want to test the current load at that point, but it is on the underside of the main board and will be very difficult to measure with everything plugged in.
                So what. Solder wires to the fuse terminals, bring them out, hook your amp meter up. Done.
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

So what. Solder wires to the fuse terminals, bring them out, hook your amp meter up. Done.
                  Great Idea!

I am measuring ~.653 DC Amps with the LCD on and a movie playing, and the meter wired in circuit. Now thats less than the 5 AMP rating so all should be well right? Does that sound like a normal reading?

To me that does not sound like enough AMPS to power the entire t-con and LCD panel, but don't really have a working knowledge of electricity so I could be wrong here.

And I assume I measure this on DC current and not AC. Is this correct?

Thanks again for all your input!

Comment

0.7A is way, way below the 5A rating. Which means you should be comfortable running this TV as it is now. Most likely, at some point, something went awry (most likely the old t-con board, as i recall you have bought a replacement) and the fuse blew.

Comment

Actually the old t-con board turned out to be fine I'm am running the original. My best guess was a bad fuse from the manufacturer, or a perhaps a power surge at some point in time.

Comment

Yeah, could've been a bad fuse, or maybe someone misread the label and dropped a 0.5A instead of a 5A. I always thought SMD fuses were a bad idea.

Comment

+1 then you can add an inline fuseholder too and put a standard 5a glass fuse in there

Comment

Great Idea!

I am measuring ~.653 DC Amps with the LCD on and a movie playing, and the meter wired in circuit. Now thats less than the 5 AMP rating so all should be well right? Does that sound like a normal reading?

To me that does not sound like enough AMPS to power the entire t-con and LCD panel, but don't really have a working knowledge of electricity so I could be wrong here.

hell yeah man your good to go

Comment

Great Idea!

hell yeah man your good to go!

could be that fuse just poweres a small section not the whole thing etc.

Comment

Hey,

Got the same problem here. Only the green led goes on my TV Sony KDL-40EX500.

I've checked the power supply board and connector CN6403 (T-con) doesn't give 12 Volts.

I think that the powersupply board is defect. Or is the Tcon board (also) defect?

Comment

Hello, Guys, new here obviously. wanted to know if you would allow your brains to be picked. Ive been half assing my way through fixing electronics since i was tearing the tv apart when my mom left me home for food shopping when i was a kid. The point? Im pretty good at not frustrating you with homeowner like question lines.
                                  This Bravia i have Has this screen issue: but the screen goes out when you bump or move the set, i saw that cadillac man mentioned he was posting a link of what he did with his bonding issues, I think that is all im dealing with
                                  sorry for the long winded simple question, and any insight would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Hi There,
                                    I got also white screen on my sony bravia KDL-V3000 lcd when I turn it on. First you can see the menu but very, very bleached. In some seconds it turns all white and two red led start blinking continuously. In other instance it stays white screen with barely visible menu/functions but after changing the sources or program in the menu it turned completely white with continues two red led blinking. If I remove t-con the screen turns dark(not black). Could it be t-con or those symptoms are from damage main-board?

Comment

That sounds more like the Gamma voltage ref problem.
                                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...highlight=AS15

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...S15#post374156
                                      Never stop learning
                                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I GOT THE SUCKER WORKING!!!!

Apparently I did I bad job on my jumper solder job, when i did it I just did a visual inspection to see that I had bridged blown fuse, being the size of a small bread crumb I should have tested for continuity. (Among other potential problems)

So going back over the schematics I re tested all the fuses on the main (input) board. There are a 6 fuses listed on the schematics. There is a fuse called F1422 (5A 24V) which powers the TPC8109(TE12L) chip. This chip then runs out to the display. At least that is what I am interpreting from the attached schematic. After my jumper job I still was not getting continuity from this fuse, so I redid the solder connection and tested again for continuity and the test was positive. I made sure I did the best solder job I could with a my $9 dollar radio shack soldering iron and no magnifying glass. This time I removed the F1422 and just soldered the two points on the board together.

I plugged it all back in and it worked. I'm shocked that a $.95 cent fuse which is smaller than...most things I've ever seen, knocked out this whole tv. Seeing as how that fuse blew for a reason, I'm still going to run the replacement board once it arrives. But I'm glad to know why this tv stopped working.

Now if I could just figure out what blew that fuse...

Anyways I owe it to you all for helping me brainstorm through this process. MUCH THANKS!
                                        Thanks to this thread, I've determined this is exactly my problem. Where can you buy the F1422 (5A 24V) fuse which powers the TPC8109(TE12L) chip? The part number I found in the service manual is 157693321. I found this at bestbuy online (https://bestbuy.partsearch.com/Part/...earchTerm=True) but it's like $10 which seems a little ridiculous. Is there an alternative fuse I could use?

Also along this subject I found that my tcon board fuse is bad too. It has "IE 3A" printed on the fuse. I believe this is an sdm fuse. Where is the best place to find this? I've read people using pico fuses. Will this work as a replacement? Thank you for your help.

Comment

"IE 3A": It may be is LF for Little Fuse. I use PICOII fuse 3A rating from DIGIKEY.
                                          Never stop learning
                                          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
                                          X