Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some True BCN History - Homecoming of a long lost friend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some True BCN History - Homecoming of a long lost friend!

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    Possible course correction mid-stream.....

I have a matching pair of these.
    Westmere's?
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
      Westmere's?
      Yes.

FWIW, I have some stuff for you next time you make it this way.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

long story short, I finally saw a second bad intel processor in my computer career that spans more than 2 decades!
        I managed to narrow it down to which one it was....so I could properly salute it...
        lol, poor old CPU provided the system with so many hours of work, and that's how you give it retirement?
        I would have put it on the wall... in a glass frame... with BIG letters "2nd bad CPU I encountered in 20 years."

No, thats a customers. The hipro PSU fan quit, overheated, and went ballistic. Took the motherboard & processor out with it. The memory & HDD were the only survivors. I was just recovering data for him.
        Interesting.
        Typically, it's the HDD that goes first, due to rarely having proper protections against extreme ripple. You sure the motherboard didn't go ballistic and the PSU fan was already stuck a long time ago? Given the CPU went, the CPU VRM could have easily been the cause.
        Well, either way, I am guessing that stuff was fed to dumpster, wasn't it?
        If only you were closer, I would have been picking your dumpsters and trash cans daily.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          Interesting.
          Typically, it's the HDD that goes first, due to rarely having proper protections against extreme ripple. You sure the motherboard didn't go ballistic and the PSU fan was already stuck a long time ago? Given the CPU went, the CPU VRM could have easily been the cause.
          Well, either way, I am guessing that stuff was fed to dumpster, wasn't it?
          If only you were closer, I would have been picking your dumpsters and trash cans daily.
          No, it was definitely the power supply. Every teapo cap in the secondary was swollen up bigger than a teenage boy in a strip club! The fan was completely frozen. Hipro is actually a decently built PSU with good hefty sinks, they just used garbage caps. This one is a 250W. I do repair these, as I use them in my retro builds, plenty suitable. I hotwashed this one in the sink, it was that skuzzy. Once dried, I recapped it....then disassembled the fan, cleaned the shaft & bushings, repacked it with grease, then resealed the dust cap.... It's now putting out nice clean power. I reused it in a VP6 build that was minus a PSU....as a matter of fact, this post was created from it.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

just rebuilt another mane cabinet for a friend.hipro 300w,ABIT VP6!
            i guess these were popular in mame systems as its the third i have seen.
            both cpu fans were frozen solid as well as the psu fan.
            fanless system from before this was a thing....
            his kids were talking about ufo sounds from the speakers in standby.
            it has a small car stereo amp running from +12.

Comment

Hipro is actually a decently built PSU with good hefty sinks, they just used garbage caps. This one is a 250W. I do repair these, as I use them in my retro builds, plenty suitable.
              That's good to hear. I was a bit worried, since I have a soft-spot for these older HiPro PSUs . They are indeed very solid performers, both for old 5V-heavy PCs and for new low/mid-range PCs. Most of my own PCs are powered by these.

Once dried, I recapped it....then disassembled the fan, cleaned the shaft & bushings, repacked it with grease, then resealed the dust cap.... It's now putting out nice clean power. I reused it in a VP6 build that was minus a PSU....as a matter of fact, this post was created from it.
              Yay!

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                just rebuilt another mane cabinet for a friend.hipro 300w,ABIT VP6!
                i guess these were popular in mame systems as its the third i have seen.
                both cpu fans were frozen solid as well as the psu fan.
                fanless system from before this was a thing....
                his kids were talking about ufo sounds from the speakers in standby.
                it has a small car stereo amp running from +12.
                Why!?
                Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

to drive the 4 speakers in the cabinet.
                  Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                  Why!?

Comment

This project is still ongoing....but very back burner. I finally scored 2 more of the Icydock Flexcage SAS bays on ebay...used, for less than half the new price. I need one more, so I'll keep looking.

Only one empty double-bay remaining!

The stockpile of parts:

FWIW, I had a chance to sell this system as it sat for a good chunk of change.....I couldn't bring myself to sell it....

More to come...
                    Attached Files
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

That's one damn solid build! I imagine it weights a ton too. Not like the new gamer cases nowadays that look all big, but are feather-light and built from cheap metal.
                      I love solid old cases.

Comment

A couple changes and completion of external SAS trays. I removed the internal fanned HDD holders and replaced them with SAS trays that have USB ports in them, which match (minus the USB ports) the other icydock trays....now all the external bays are filled and will reach capacity of each system's 12 port RAID controller. The OS HDD's will be mounted internally on the motherboard side. All NAS data drives are accessible without any system disassembly, all you'll need is the key. THis worked out nicely....and on top of that, it looks really cool!!

Now to start with the internal stuff.... I need to track down some good heatsink/fans and memory.

....to be continued!
                        Attached Files
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

What's with the power switches on the top of the case?
                          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                          RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                          - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                          - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                          - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                          - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                            What's with the power switches on the top of the case?
                            Multiple motherboards means multiple switches?
                            sigpic

Comment

Yes.

FWIW, I have some stuff for you next time you make it this way.
                              hah, wish I was close enough to get free shit!
                              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

now all the external bays are filled and will reach capacity of each system's 12 port RAID controller.
                                Cool. Make sure you use good quality HDDs, though. Otherwise, with that many HDDs, even a single failure or two can make the system misbehave.

A few months ago at work, someone brought us their customer computer to troubleshoot it. It had 14 HDDs in it - some software RAIDed, some not. He wanted to know why his computer took so long to boot or load anything. It took 2 days on our bench to get it to boot (it was sitting on the Windows 7 loading screen, lol). Once it booted, it was extremely slow. We found that it had at least 3 badly-failed HDDs, and a few working but not very healthy. Once we got it stripped down to bare essentials and just one HDD (the OS), it ran fine. But what a fine mess that thing was.

Multiple motherboards means multiple switches?
                                I think TG was asking about the rocker switches on the top.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                  Cool. Make sure you use good quality HDDs, though. Otherwise, with that many HDDs, even a single failure or two can make the system misbehave.

A few months ago at work, someone brought us their customer computer to troubleshoot it. It had 14 HDDs in it - some software RAIDed, some not. He wanted to know why his computer took so long to boot or load anything. It took 2 days on our bench to get it to boot (it was sitting on the Windows 7 loading screen, lol). Once it booted, it was extremely slow. We found that it had at least 3 badly-failed HDDs, and a few working but not very healthy. Once we got it stripped down to bare essentials and just one HDD (the OS), it ran fine. But what a fine mess that thing was.

I think TG was asking about the rocker switches on the top.
                                  The bays are empty at the moment, so drive-wise, it's a blank slate. The OS drives will be a pair of SSD's in a mirror (raid1) on the motherboard's ICH10 controller, which will be mounted internally. The externals are on a 3ware controller, which is great about sniffing out bad drives and alerting you.....it'll email you and make a whole lot of racket with a buzzer too! I've been eyeballing WD reds for NAS functions.... Speed isn't a huge factor for what this machine will be doing (DVD streaming to HTPC's, DVR for a medium-size security system, and just a big ass file server). Slow spinners = efficient & reliable (as a rule anyway). Efficiency makes life easy on the power supplies and keeps heat down....and those factors culminate into reliable over time.

The two big switches are master power, one for each system. The 4 smaller momentary rocker switches are ATX power & reset. Obviously each system gets two. The 2 SPST's are not assigned to anything.....but I'm sure I'll think of something for them to do.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Slow spinners = efficient & reliable (as a rule anyway).
                                    In that case, I have a "perfectly functional*" WD green 2TB drive for ya. Runs great!!!**

*-As a paperweight
                                    **-Data taken when I first bought the unit.

No seriously, that drive is a turd. I even tried cleaning the PCB connectors (which were dirty as ****)... IIRC it won't even spin up. Unless you want a project/challenge, you don't want it.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                      hah, wish I was close enough to get free shit!
                                      I only was once a year for a number of years... and that reason ended after this spring; FIRST robotics championship was in STL (2 hours from Topcat) but they are moving it to Detroit next year. Anybody in Michigan ? Or near London, ON? (I go there for robotics and/or work a lot, especially near the end of this year).

Note- Topcat, this doesn't mean I won't ever visit again... I do have inlaws in MO (and between then and you, you win even during our bad moments ).

[/off-topic]
                                      sigpic

Comment

In that case, I have a "perfectly functional*" WD green 2TB drive for ya. Runs great!!!**

*-As a paperweight
                                        **-Data taken when I first bought the unit.

No seriously, that drive is a turd. I even tried cleaning the PCB connectors (which were dirty as ****)... IIRC it won't even spin up. Unless you want a project/challenge, you don't want it.
                                        I have about a dozen of those 2tb greens. they're all good actually....but they've got very high POH times, and I don't trust them for mission-critical operations. I did clean the PCB contacts though. They're good for backup drives though.... Seldom powered up, and each array backed up across 3 of these...so it would take a quadruple failure to cause data loss + the backup that's in the safe deposit box....so the bank would have to burn down too! I take my important data quite seriously!
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

If you're ever in the Ft Collins, Cheyenne, or, most of the panhandle really, area, let me know RD.
                                          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Working...
                                          X