Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MAX134CMH+D A/D Converter: Faulty or OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MAX134CMH+D A/D Converter: Faulty or OK?

Let us know when the chip comes in. I can't see any other parts that would give the same problems.

I've worked a few projects in GP, it's a bit north for my liking.
    First snow a few days ago and record cold snap -10°C/+15°F for this time of year. Polar vortex brrr.

Comment

Update:

Some time ago I took delivery of a new MAX134 ADC and soldered it into the Protek 506 DMM. However, the DMM is still not working correctly; the fault has merely changed in it's characteristics! I thought perhaps I may have damaged the chip by exposing it to too much heat, but, then again, it may have been a reject dud chip to begin with!

I've now taken delivery of two more MAX134, as well as a practice PCB with a practice 44pin MQFP IC, so that I can perfect the soldering technique before attempting on the DMM itself.

Comment

i would have just swapped parts with the other meter till the fault moved.

Comment

stj: a lot of components are SMD (SMT), but I may have to test/replace everything until I find the fault. I refuse to give up on this meter!

I've been trying to purchase an Evaluation Kit for the MAX134, but it is now obsolete and nobody has any in stock, that I can find. The model number is MAX134EVKIT#. The board has the MAX134 on it, a microcontroller with software and a LCD. It would be a good tool to get to understand the basics of a DMM.

Comment

i know it's SMD,
            i'm doing some smd work as i type - hot air is not expensive

Comment

Working...
            X