Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

See any caps here that I should be concerned about on an aging amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See any caps here that I should be concerned about on an aging amp?

Just curious, does anyone see any problem caps on my aging amp that I should keep an eye on, are any of these tantalum? Or ones that could potentially go due to age?

Re: See any caps here that I should be concerned about on an aging amp?

The electrolytics all look like "off brand" Taiwanese/Chinese stuff (and 85C rated) that could definitely be suspect. Though audio gear generally isn't too "hard" on caps compared to something like an SMPS so I've seen even "sub par" caps last a long time in audio gear.

Comment

Doesn't really look that old. Looks fine to me

what about the main power board? That is the one you really need to be concerned about. These look like the speaker amps
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

This is an Aragon 2005 THX 5 channel amp from 2003ish era
        Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
        Doesn't really look that old. Looks fine to me

what about the main power board? That is the one you really need to be concerned about. These look like the speaker amps
        No power board just these suckers lol

Better view of the caps, black ones are Hitano and the blue ones say what seems to be AE
        Last edited by demoncamber; 01-03-2021, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Wow. Looks so clean. Is that a linear PSU? Ohh it has a pre-amp and those are the full speaker output amps

yeah that looks fine. High quality shit there

Comment

Wow. Looks so clean. Is that a linear PSU? Ohh it has a pre-amp and those are the full speaker output amps

yeah that looks fine. High quality shit there
            It does sound really good, this is my highest quality amp I've ever owned so I don't really have anything to compare it to sound wise to know how good it is. But it's pretty awesome. It does sound good. It does 200w per channel at 8 ohms 3 channels driven per specs, not sure what it puts out in 5 channel mode, so I was thinking of upgrading the big power caps coming off the toroidal since it's 46000uf right now, looks like 23,000uf goes to each side of amp boards. I was thinking of doing something like 2 45,000uf caps instead of the same brand.

But even with these caps, if I power off the amp music will keep.playing for 14 seconds before the caps start to fully drain.
            Last edited by demoncamber; 01-06-2021, 12:30 PM.

Comment

I read you can use a bleeder resistor, but have more or less no clue how to implement it on this type of amp. Another solution is to turn off the pre-amp before you turn off the main amp

Comment

I read you can use a bleeder resistor, but have more or less no clue how to implement it on this type of amp. Another solution is to turn off the pre-amp before you turn off the main amp
                Oh yeah, probably, it doesn't bother me though, I have it in a trigger outlet so it powers down when I shut my AVR off, so you can hear the caps drain and kind of fizzle out softly in the speakers after about 14 seconds. It's not loud enough to be annoying though.

Comment

Working...
                X