Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

<play taps>RadeonHD 5770 dead at ... ~10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: &lt;play taps&gt;RadeonHD 5770 dead at ... ~10?

3650s are a pain in the balls. At least the Mobility HD3650 I have in my Acer 6530G literally died after repasting with MX4. I have sound but no display output, as if the card simply isn't there and the mobo boots from a blind HD3200 IGP.

Ironically, the Mobility 4330/4530/4570, 4650, 5470 and 5650 are tough as nails. I have both a DV6-2115eo (4650) and a DV6-3125sa. The former had a bad IGP that got fixed by a reflow (the GPU was fine) and the latter had a GPU that went bad because of dried (so dry that it just crumbled) paste. 3200s and 3650s though, they're both horrendous pain in the balls. 3200 IGPs and 3650 GPUs are literal nightmares, to the point I try and avoid them in VERY flawed designs (1st generation HP DV7s, that crappy HSF doesn't even have any other mounting points than the CPU, so the GPU and IGP rely on thermal pads to stick together. DV5s don't have this stupid issue, both Intels and AMDs having their GPU and IGP HSF reinforced through both sides.)
    Last edited by Dan81; 10-18-2021, 08:05 AM.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Damn, surplus shop had no PCIe GPUs, only had one AGP. Grr...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
        I'll look through my shit, I know I have one. Sapphire I think
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
          I'll look through my shit, I know I have one. Sapphire I think
          Dig out that voodoo5500 while you're at it.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

it's hidden well, too well. oh shit I can't find it.

I have an HD4850

Comment

it's hidden well, too well. oh shit I can't find it.
              Such a waste.....
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

I'll find it. I know I put it in a solid place where it can't be crushed or hurt

Comment

I'll find it. I know I put it in a solid place where it can't be crushed or hurt
                  I've done that too....packed something away so well I either forgot about it or couldn't find it again later...
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                    I've done that too....packed something away so well I either forgot about it or couldn't find it again later...
                    wow these are going up in price lol. I'll probably later get it in my...not teenhood system (the motherboard I still have, but hates 4x cards) but the one after that. K7S5A /w T-bird 1.33. Windows 2000 and original tribes. Originally had a voodoo 3 2000 in there then a geforce 3 ti 200 which I threw away because it's dead (it has...you guessed it...bad caps, which failed to work even after replacement)

Comment

wow these are going up in price lol. I'll probably later get it in my...not teenhood system (the motherboard I still have, but hates 4x cards) but the one after that. K7S5A /w T-bird 1.33. Windows 2000 and original tribes. Originally had a voodoo 3 2000 in there then a geforce 3 ti 200 which I threw away because it's dead (it has...you guessed it...bad caps, which failed to work even after replacement)
                      Real-world bidding they are about where they've always been. The retarded BIN prices are just that.... The ones that went stupid high for some reason are SLI voodoo2 setups... they're worth more now than they were new!
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

need to get my voodoo3 back and sell that to fund a new pcie card.
                        sigh, have only a small pile of crappy pci and agp cards now...

Comment

How much would a RadeonHD 6450 be worth?

Seems like a crappy 64-bit card. Ugh. Really should say "never again" after experimenting with them alas dire times call for dire actions...if it were real cheap...

BTW this X800 is confusing the heck out of gdm after replacing the 5770. *sigh* have to run single headed again.

Comment

Yeah that card died, though the 'new' fan seemed to push more air. Pretty much was up to the heatsink and there was no way to get another thicker hs there - more pcie cards are coming...
                            Yeah, like I mentioned, the stock heatsinks are just crap, so sometimes even a better fan cannot help them.

Still, considering your card did 10 years with its stock cooler - that's pretty decent life... and sort of does show that the HD5k are fairly tough overall... but could probably last much longer with better cooling.

Though something 5770-like in speeds would be nice... not sure how much these go for these days due to conflicting reports in this thread of it being both "old" and "fast" at the same time??? Which is it?
                            Well, it's both, currently.
                            Why? Because of the chip shortage. If it wasn't for that, an HD5770 would be considered extremely outdated and probably going for like $10 max shipped to your door... or even less. But because of GPU shortage, people are now starting to buy even old stock stuff - especially people that have lost a new card due to a failure and don't have anything to replace it with (or just the cash for a new card.) So from what I've been watching over the last 1-2 years on Ebay, cards like the HD5770 with the chip shortage (especially recently in the last 6 months) have been going around $20-30 for a working one. Ironically, the HD6850 & HD6870 (a good or slight step-up from the 5770, depending from which age point you look at it) was going for those kind of prices a year ago, and even cheaper 2 years ago... but now is topping $30-40 most of the time.

How much would a RadeonHD 6450 be worth?
                            For online prices... I wouldn't pay more than $10 shipped to my door. They're not really that worthwhile, unless you just need a basic display adapter for an old PC that has worse onboard/IGP.

Seems like a crappy 64-bit card. Ugh. Really should say "never again" after experimenting with them alas dire times call for dire actions...if it were real cheap...
                            Yeah, it is a crappy 64-bit card... though compared to my Radeon HD2400 Pro/XT cards, it's noticeably better in some old games... if that's anything to judge by. On modern 3D stuff, it's a crapshoot. $3-5 extra can get you HD4670 (OK), HD7570 (better, though not quite 5770 performance yet), or stuff like the Quadro 600 I showed on the last page. Or if you want to burn 3x the electricity of the Quadro 600, keep you PC (and house) toasty, and still get the same performance as the Q 600, then the Quadro FX 4600 check that box (it's essentially an oldschool 8800 GTS/GTX.)

The RadeonHD 3650 died faster than the 5770. Lasted ⅓ as long IIRC...
                            It all depends on the temperature it ran... and a little bit of luck too, of course.

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                            G210...theoretically IS an 8400GS.
                            Yup.
                            Which is why I always thought it was funny that people would sometimes pay more and opt for a "newer" GeForce 210 than get an "older" GeForce 8500 (/9400) or 8600 (/9500) - both of which offer 2-8x better performance than the 8400/210.

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                            3650s are a pain in the balls. At least the Mobility HD3650 I have...
                            That's because the 3650's performance to power consumption ratio was pretty terrible. I'm sure they had some optimizations for the mobile version... but it was already a weak card even for the desktop version and with relatively high TDP (64 Watts.) For just 20-30 Watts more, you get the 3850/3870, and that would smoke the 3650 out of the water back then. So because the 3650 was such a weak card, it regularly had to run full tilt to get any small performance out of it... and that's why it also always ran hot. ATI/AMD really stepped it up with the HD4k series on the mid and high-end.

I have an HD4850
                            I have a bunch of those as well. Only not offering them because they are a reflown cards. 8 cards for $18 total shipped to me, back a few years ago when prices weren't crazy. Got 4 or 5 out 8 revived... though 1 is iffy, and another one might be dieing after using it for some fan mods and heatsink experiments.

FWIW, the 4850 is more or less equivalent to the 5770... though I'm not sure if HD4k has OpenCL support. Techpowerup pages says YES, but I don't see my GPU-Z screenshots showing any of mine having OpenCL support.

0.o
                            Was it anything decent? If it was and it was cheap, you can buy it, flip it on the bay for more (provided it's a somewhat more "rare" card) and then use the funds for a PCI-E GPU.

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                            Dig out that voodoo5500 while you're at it.

Comment

This is what mine looks like

https://www.amazon.com/Radeon-4850-2.../dp/B00Y9OX5YQ

of course I never tested it lol

Comment

I've got a Radeon HD5850 1GB card that I think is nearing its end. It first went unstable in my dad's system (ran in that system 2010-2016), then suddenly became unable to run triple monitors on my setup (ran in my main computer 2016-2018), and now it's locking up and becoming unresponsive under load in my spare gaming system, which is almost a carbon copy of Main Computer v1.4 from 2016. (been running there since 2018)
                                Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

DAMN.

This X800 sucks. Can't get full resolution multihead. Sigh. I could run at reduced resolution on my LCDs...

no way.

Ugh...need to find another card...

Comment

Got a 1GB RadeonHD 6450 for 3 bones locally, it drives my two monitors once more and opencl support seems to be detected... now let's see how long until this board dies from 3d and opencl abuse...

Comment

Well, just a few months later I found a cheap Firepro V3900. This thing's also slow as crap nowadays but definitely faster than the 6450...

Being a "workstation" or "entry level professional" card I wonder how well these survive the test of time, wonder how long this will take before it suffers the same fate as all my other Radeon cards (other than the 6450, since that's still working...)

Comment

Well, just a few months later I found a cheap Firepro V3900.
                                        Being a "workstation" or "entry level professional" card I wonder how well these survive the test of time, wonder how long this will take before it suffers the same fate as all my other Radeon cards (other than the 6450, since that's still working...)
                                        Like I've said before: just keep the cards cool and they will last. This means under 50C on the core (so that the mem I/O & shader parts of the core can stay under 60C.)

Otherwise, these older Radeon HD cards were made on larger node technology (>40 nm). They have substantially more silicon to burn through (per transistor) before EOL, so they *should* be a lot more reliable than the modern <10 nm crap.

Again, I say should, because it's ultimately down to keeping the card cool... which more often than not means ditching the stock cooler into some hole where the sun don't shine and putting something that is adequate for the TDP of the card.

V3900 is pretty much the same thing as HD6570 and HD7570. These are ~60W TDP. The stock cooler on these is a joke - noisy fan and surface area that can't handle the TDP even with a fan capable of blowing a tornado through it. Stick an early Pentium 4 heatsink on it and it should run good. If you want to keep maxing out the GPU all the time (like mining), consider lowering the core clocks slightly and then also lowering the core voltage slightly. This is what crypto miners now regularly do (except, it's easier to do this on newer cards, since one just has to put a TDP limit through the software... whereas on these older HD cards, you usually have to play around with re-flashing custom BIOS.)

Anyways, V3900 is a good card though. Indeed outdated, but miles above the HD6450, particularly on the memory bus being 128-bit.
                                        Last edited by momaka; 03-11-2022, 07:41 PM.

Comment

hmm... there were a few more V3900's at the local shop, but I passed on them as they had low profile brackets. Hmm. Wonder if I should get another one or not.

Tried running some 3d graphics on the V3900 and so far it's less than 50°C on the stock HS/F... whether it will stay this way I don't know...

Comment

Working...
                                          X