• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Queen coffee CQ MN-2 Heating element

How to test this queen coffee maker heating element
    Attached Files

Re: Queen coffee CQ MN-2 Heating element

The heater connections are at the back of the can.
    The front of the can has what looks like two thermal switches. One is for temperature regulation and the other is a safety-limit (klixon). I might be wrong because I don't know the difference between AUTO/MANUAL operation of the heater, maybe it has two running temperatures.

I would measure resistance across the heating element, and to the can housing to see if the heater is not open-circuit or shorting to ground.

The two thermal switches should be normally-closed I think. The one on the right might have a reset button you can see, try push it down. But if it tripped then the left one is for temperature regulation and might be stuck on, so another problem.

Comment

This might be the service manual, if not it should be close.
      Attached Files

Comment

You can test leakage of the heating element using a “megger”. Hmm… 2300W on 240V… that hing will actually brew something! Check the tripp switch first.
        Last edited by CapLeaker; 07-19-2022, 08:46 PM.

Comment

B5 high limit switch has a manual reset but the schematic symbols are a bit beyond what I've seen.
          Cream Coffee Queen boiler/thermostat part no. 160212-03 is one big assembly.
          Pic you see the two switches.
          Attached Files

Comment

If the schematic symbols are a bit too advanced for what you have seen? what would I say as a beginner?

Comment

Hej CapLeaker this is getting a bit complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                This might be the service manual, if not it should be close.
                thank you i have it but is not of great help

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                  The heater connections are at the back of the can.
                  The front of the can has what looks like two thermal switches. One is for temperature regulation and the other is a safety-limit (klixon). I might be wrong because I don't know the difference between AUTO/MANUAL operation of the heater, maybe it has two running temperatures.

I would measure resistance across the heating element, and to the can housing to see if the heater is not open-circuit or shorting to ground.

The two thermal switches should be normally-closed I think. The one on the right might have a reset button you can see, try push it down. But if it tripped then the left one is for temperature regulation and might be stuck on, so another problem.
                  I get 26.1 ohms on all contacts if I have measured correctly

Comment

Originally posted by bohaboha View Post
                    I get 26.1 ohms on all contacts if I have measured correctly
                    On what? The heating element or the high limit temperature trip switch? If you do get continuity on both, things are good and it should work, unless one of the on / off switches or fuse is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                      On what? The heating element or the high limit temperature trip switch? If you do get continuity on both, things are good and it should work, unless one of the on / off switches or fuse is bad.
                      It must be on both to how high the temperature should be ? and now it doesn't work so you can't measure I leave some pictures of measurements. For V there is no current going anywhere but there is or I find no fuse.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here is the boiler, check the resistance of the element, The thermal cutouts should read 0Ω.
                        What is the problem you are having with the machine?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here is the boiler, check the resistance of the element, The thermal cutouts should read 0Ω.
                          What is the problem you are having with the machine?
                          first it didn't work then on test it just worked but then nothing and I don't know what to look for plus I can't find a fuse anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by bohaboha View Post
                            first it didn't work then on test it just worked but then nothing and I don't know what to look for plus I can't find a fuse anywhere
                            There are two separate warming plates, do either of them work? There are also three lights, do any of them work? If none of the lights work and neither of the warming plates get warm, I suspect the main switch or the wiring going to the switch.
                            If the lights S1 or S2 light when the switch is turned ON, but the S3 brew light does not come on, check the micro switch B3, check that it is being activated. I believe the micro switch is activated by the water level, so if there is no water in the top reservoir, the boiler and the brew light will not work.
                            Last edited by R_J; 07-20-2022, 08:18 AM.

Comment

2300w element should be about 25 ohms

Comment

There are two separate warming plates, do either of them work? There are also three lights, do any of them work? If none of the lights work and neither of the warming plates get warm, I suspect the main switch or the wiring going to the switch.
                                If the lights S1 or S2 light when the switch is turned ON, but the S3 brew light does not come on, check the micro switch B3, check that it is being activated. I believe the micro switch is activated by the water level, so if there is no water in the top reservoir, the boiler and the brew light will not work.
                                both plates get hot and their contacts light up but the brew light doesn't light up and it doesn't brew. the float that's suspect it's really tricky to it's connected to a switch underneath that might not get tripped when you fill it with water. after your explanation the picture of it all becomes clearer

Comment

Even if the boiler element was open, the Brew light (S3) should still light, If both thermal cutouts B5 and B4, mounted on the boiler are ok, and not open, I suspect B3 micro switch is either bad or not being activated.

Comment

i`ll test and come back to you

Comment

Yes I think the water level switch or float is not working.
                                      I am not sure how the water does not leak to the microswitch, there must be a seal or gasket. Something mechanical that might jam or get stuck.
                                      pic from parts catalogue https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...5e66bfbe58.pdf
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                                        Yes I think the water level switch or float is not working.
                                        I am not sure how the water does not leak to the microswitch, there must be a seal or gasket. Something mechanical that might jam or get stuck.
                                        pic from parts catalogue https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...5e66bfbe58.pdf
                                        ok it's obviously the float that's malfunctioning. because now i've tried filling in water and i hear the float activating the process and it works but how long should it last ? i can't find the float itself in the link you posted.

Comment

Working...
                                        X