X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RCUnlocker

Originally posted by AAAC View Post
    @ogre4273
    Use UEFITool NE version and check UEFI Variables, there's usually one named AbtState, that one contains information if Absolute Computrace is Active.
    Then use an hex-editor and search for AbtState, a few bytes before the string you will find the header AA553F(h), to invalidate that variable make it AA553C(h), save changes.
    Do I need to do that on the 32mb bios dump? or I also need 16mb?
    My laptop is HP Elitebook 840 G6, is it applicable?

Comment

@AAAC

There is indeed AbtState (see the pic below) so I need to change "F" to "C" right?

What I think is that the computrace will be still active because I only modify the 32mb dump. Is there any other way to also disable it on 16mb dump?
      Attached Files

Comment

@ogre4273
        Is CompuTrace really ACTIVE? Because when it’s Active there’s an ASCII string (account number?) in the lines below AbtString.

Comment

@ogre4273
          Is CompuTrace really ACTIVE? Because when it's Active there's an ASCII string (account number?) in the lines below AbtString.
          Oh is that so, then I analyze it further. About this dump, I just found it in the forum just to see what that AbtState looks like. I'm dumping my own bios when I received EZP2019 that I ordered. Thank you for your help and I'll be back shortly.

Comment

@AAAC

so when removing computrace I only need to modify the main bios which is the 32mb? Sorry for asking, just making sure so that I can save some time without removing the whole board for the 16mb chip. Thank you again.

Comment

@ogre4273
              On the ones I’ve done, just modifying the 32MB chip contents is enough.

Comment

@AAAC
                Thank you for your help! I'll come back if it's successful. I hope I'll be able to remove it so that I would not spend money for patching my bios bin to remove it. Some people offering me 40 dollars just to patch it. Is your method same as them?

Comment

Originally posted by ogre4273 View Post
                  Is your method same as them?
                  I believe so.

Comment

Removing it from bios does not remove it from their servers.

So there will probably be an issue when the next user tries to sign up for computrace. But if not, this works fine.

There are people who have official tools to remove both from server and bios. But since it goes through their servers and users IP has to be whitelisted first, it's no use to anybody who is not approved.

That said, you could probably get it removed server-side just by sending them your SN and asking it to be removed.

Comment

Hello @RethoricalCheese !! What do you mean by next user sign up? If I remove or make computrace inactive from the bios does it mean that it will be active again sometime in the future? And what will happen to the server side if I managed to remove it?
                      Last edited by ogre4273; 07-28-2022, 10:17 PM.

Comment

If you disable it and never ever want to use it then it will not return. No problems at all. Laptop will not try to query computrace so nothing will happen.

But if the next user really wants to use computrace, it most probably won't work because the SN is tied to previous computrace client.

So if you or the next user does not want it to work then there will be no problems when you just patch bios. It's mostly for business clients anyway so if you don't resell to businesses, there won't be an issue.

Comment

I believe so.
                          840 G7 Absolute Persistence Active
                          Hi AAAC, could you please help me to remove computrace? the BIOS has no password, but hp absolute persistence is active, My model is a 840 G7. I will be very grateful, please, thank you
                          Attached Files

Comment

@chypnotic
                            How did you read this BIOS file? If you used a programmer, which programmer did you use?
                            To me seems like the file is incomplete, by the model number it should be 32MB, maybe there's another chip.

Comment

@chypnotic
                              How did you read this BIOS file? If you used a programmer, which programmer did you use?
                              To me seems like the file is incomplete, by the model number it should be 32MB, maybe there's another chip.
                              I have removed only the 16 meg 25Q128JV chip with the SOFI SP8-F programmer. The chip had a password to enter the Bios, but using the RCUnlocker program, I have managed to erase the password, but now I find that computrace is active, would you help me remove it please? Thank you

Comment

@AAAC

hello again, I managed to get my bios dump both 32mb and 16mb.

Can I disable computrace if Manufacture Programming Mode is enabled?

and if not, would you unlock it for me? I would attach it here if you want. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by ogre4273 View Post
                                  @AAAC

hello again, I managed to get my bios dump both 32mb and 16mb.

Can I disable computrace if Manufacture Programming Mode is enabled?

and if not, would you unlock it for me? I would attach it here if you want. Thank you!
                                  UPDATE:
                                  @AAAC
                                  Forget about this text that I quoted. I found out that there is a number below Abtstate, should I remove it or just change AA553F to AA553C? The picture is attached below.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

@ogre4273
                                    Invalidating the variable should be enough. After you do it and open the new BIOS file with UEFITOOL NE version, you will find that now it will show as Invalid.

Comment

@RethoricalCheese

sir i tried with 32mb chip but fail

would you add 32mb please

Comment

@ogre4273
                                        Invalidating the variable should be enough. After you do it and open the new BIOS file with UEFITOOL NE version, you will find that now it will show as Invalid.
                                        @AAAC
                                        Okay, I'll do it. Last question.

the 16mb chip is not needed right?
                                        So what I will do is get the latest dump of my 32mb bios (will dump it 3x to be sure) and then invalidate the hex 3F to 3C then flash it again? then that's it? Sorry if I ask too many questions. Thank you!

Comment

@ogre4273
                                          I've been modifying only the 32MB chip.

Dump and save the file 3 times, then check all 3 files are identical (if you use a utility like WinRAR or similar, you can ZIP or RAR the files, then open the ZIP or RAR resulting file, on the far right there's a column with CRC32 values, if all they match all the files are exact copies).

Comment

Working...
                                          X