Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recapping a Cerwin Vega Crossover help

Hi all,
    I have included a few pics of the caps on my crossovers on a pair of Cerwin Vega 311p speakers. They are well over 40 years old, so I thought new caps might help with their sound, and would be fun also. So, I have attached pics of the caps, but was wondering. Is it better to replace the caps, what caps would be best, and should I just buy a new crossover at parts express or something like that. The problem wikth buying a whole new crossover is i dont know where these particular speaker drivers fall off or which crossover to get. Im good at electrical work and soldering so no problem there. Anyway, what do you guys think. And, can you make heads or tails of the capacitors. The boards are not the same in each speaker. One has two inductors while the other crossover has only one inductor. Its weird. Below is a link to all the pics of the boards and components. Any advice, hints, suggestions, ideas. Give it all to me. Thanks
    jim

https://imgur.com/a/53T54Wv
    Attached Files

Re: Recapping a Cerwin Vega Crossover help

I see a 1.5uF 200VDC and 3.5uF film capacitors, and another small one underneath, and some others as well.
    Those caps look fine and if they test reasonable, I would leave them alone. If they were bi-polar electrolytics then I would replace them as they are crap for fidelity and aging. There are many audiophile boutique film caps that I don't feel are worth the money, they'll sound the same. Dayton Audio appear to be low cost chinese capacitors. I use Solen.
    You can change the inductors from ferrite to air-core for a bit less distortion. Solen is in Canada but Parts Express carries them.
    Problem is measuring the old parts you need an inductance meter or the wrong values will upset the crossover points.

Passive crossovers are a pain to work with, parts love to rattle and buzz and fitting larger parts is no joy.

Comment

Re: Recapping a Cerwin Vega Crossover help

Originally posted by redwire View Post
      I see a 1.5uF 200VDC and 3.5uF film capacitors, and another small one underneath, and some others as well.
      Those caps look fine and if they test reasonable, I would leave them alone. If they were bi-polar electrolytics then I would replace them as they are crap for fidelity and aging. There are many audiophile boutique film caps that I don't feel are worth the money, they'll sound the same. Dayton Audio appear to be low cost chinese capacitors. I use Solen.
      You can change the inductors from ferrite to air-core for a bit less distortion. Solen is in Canada but Parts Express carries them.
      Problem is measuring the old parts you need an inductance meter or the wrong values will upset the crossover points.

Passive crossovers are a pain to work with, parts love to rattle and buzz and fitting larger parts is no joy.
      Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X