Repair log: Harman Kardon HK-206 speakers - poor sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repair log: Harman Kardon HK-206 speakers - poor sound

I have finally decided to document the repair of these speakers. I discovered that they sound even better than the old Cyber Acoustics MMS-20 speakers.

A couple years ago, I realized that the sound quality of these speakers was very poor. High frequencies were so loud and distorted that I had to keep the volume low to prevent my ears from being ed. I thought that it was a combination of small, cheap speakers and the poor sound from the computer they were connected to. I also noticed that the volume control was noisy. I decided to clean the volume control and found bad caps. The two output coupling caps were both bulging and leaking. I also discovered that the amplifier runs very warm and these two caps were next to the heatsink.

To open the case, remove the one screw on the back, then the two screws below the driver and the top two screws holding the driver in the enclosure. These last four screws are under the grille, which can be pulled off easily. The top two corners and the bottom edge are glued, so you will need to pry the case open.

These are the caps that need to be replaced:
    2x 1000uF 16V 8x16mm, 770mA ripple current
    2x 100uF 10V 5x11mm, 165mA
    2x 100uF 25V 5x11mm, 190mA
    4x 0.47uF 50V 5x11mm, 14mA
    1x 470uF 25V 8x16mm, 530mA

Every electrolytic cap needs to be replaced. They are all poor quality and had failed or were close to the lower end of their tolerances. When I removed the 1000uF caps, I discovered that they were bulging from the top and bottom and one had leaked from both ends as well. Strangely, the 0.47uF caps were still good. In my speakers, these were Fujicon RA series.

I used cheap metal film caps to replace the 0.47uF caps, but any type of cap can be used to replace them. The rest should be replaced with high quality 105°C caps. I found that low ESR caps must be used to match or exceed the ripple current ratings of the old caps. Pictures of the amplifier can be found here and here. I posted pictures of the power supply here.

After recapping, I was surprised that the little 3" full range drivers could produce so much bass. The tinny sound with insanely loud treble was gone. They even make everything on the desk vibrate.

Re: Repair log: Harman Kardon HK-206 speakers - poor sound

I'm currently using a pair of these temporarily...

Nothing said HK-206 but they are the same, I think made for Dell. A sticker on the bottom shows CN-04N567-48220-26M-004A and Googling that I found my way here. Looks like CN-04N567-48220 is the main model number.

Anyway, there were no markings as to what kind of power supply it used, but after cracking them open and looking at the datasheets for the ICs I figured 12v made sense.

They sound OK but I might try replacing those output capacitors anyway and see what happens, later.
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

"soundsticks" and "champagne" are also full of junk caps.

i fill them with FR.
      the psu btw is probably 15v, it is on the soundsticks.
      Last edited by stj; 06-11-2015, 07:53 PM.

Comment

PSU is 12v as lti already showed here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=390
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

1a - makes sense.

the soundsticks uses something like 4a

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
            Nothing said HK-206 but they are the same, I think made for Dell. A sticker on the bottom shows CN-04N567-48220-26M-004A and Googling that I found my way here. Looks like CN-04N567-48220 is the main model number.
            These don't have a model number on them either, and the sticker shows the part number CN-04N567-48220-31L-04X4. I think that is the Dell part number.
            Originally posted by stj View Post
            "soundsticks" and "champagne" are also full of junk caps.

i fill them with FR.
            The best caps I've seen in Harman/Kardon equipment were Sam Young.

Comment

Have these, one speaker not working, non-working speaker cable and rca male end verified on a tv, not sure how to verify rca female jack on the pcb, anyone know what the voltages of the 2 IC's should read? Looked at data sheet, gives a broad value, says something like 3 to 32 volts or sum such.
              Last edited by nomoresonys; 08-24-2019, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                I have finally decided to document the repair of these speakers. I discovered that they sound even better than the old Cyber Acoustics MMS-20 speakers.

A couple years ago, I realized that the sound quality of these speakers was very poor. High frequencies were so loud and distorted that I had to keep the volume low to prevent my ears from being ed. I thought that it was a combination of small, cheap speakers and the poor sound from the computer they were connected to. I also noticed that the volume control was noisy. I decided to clean the volume control and found bad caps. The two output coupling caps were both bulging and leaking. I also discovered that the amplifier runs very warm and these two caps were next to the heatsink.

To open the case, remove the one screw on the back, then the two screws below the driver and the top two screws holding the driver in the enclosure. These last four screws are under the grille, which can be pulled off easily. The top two corners and the bottom edge are glued, so you will need to pry the case open.

These are the caps that need to be replaced:
                2x 1000uF 16V 8x16mm, 770mA ripple current
                2x 100uF 10V 5x11mm, 165mA
                2x 100uF 25V 5x11mm, 190mA
                4x 0.47uF 50V 5x11mm, 14mA
                1x 470uF 25V 8x16mm, 530mA

Every electrolytic cap needs to be replaced. They are all poor quality and had failed or were close to the lower end of their tolerances. When I removed the 1000uF caps, I discovered that they were bulging from the top and bottom and one had leaked from both ends as well. Strangely, the 0.47uF caps were still good. In my speakers, these were Fujicon RA series.

I used cheap metal film caps to replace the 0.47uF caps, but any type of cap can be used to replace them. The rest should be replaced with high quality 105°C caps. I found that low ESR caps must be used to match or exceed the ripple current ratings of the old caps. Pictures of the amplifier can be found here and here. I posted pictures of the power supply here.

After recapping, I was surprised that the little 3" full range drivers could produce so much bass. The tinny sound with insanely loud treble was gone. They even make everything on the desk vibrate.
                Hello! Did you know the drivers impedance? Thanks

Comment

They're 4 ohms.

There is one picture that has the markings on it:

This particular set of speakers is still working with the mix of Nichicon VZ (RIP), Panasonic EB, and some random film caps for the 0.47uF. My parents ended up with them to use as TV speakers. I should probably replace the 470uF cap that I left.
                  Last edited by lti; 08-19-2022, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X