This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi gang, wish I could say I could be a huge help to the forum. Truth is I am just a plain old do-it-yourselfer with very little electronic skills. I do love taking things a part and fixing them my self. I have built quite a few computers from scratch so I have a little knowledge about the workings.

I jsut retired and plain on taking up the repair of metal detector, computer and and monitors for a hobby. From what I have seen here, this will be my main site for this type of help. Every thing I have read so far is pretty well explained and the people are down to earth freindly.

Comment

good to hear... we have no metal detector experts here afaik... but electronics is electronics... Topcat was a computer/ tv repair shop owner, not an EE, and look at what all he has figured out...

have fun and welcome aboard!

ps- that last line was not a dis on EE's (i plan to become one after college)
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Fantastic forum.........i've actually been looking around for a good forum giving information (and taking it of course) for all the great equipment around that goes
        out so quickly just due to a quirk or mistake in manufacture.........
        this looks like the place...wow... congrats.....i'll definately be telling all my friends
        too...i'm looking forward to spending many happy hours browsing..cheers for now,
        ps my web address is www.badcaps.net one day soon i'll spend
        time and do it properly....but for now its very basic !! & just a hobby site
        Last edited by CROBNCAROL; 08-22-2010, 06:25 PM. Reason: slight mistake

Comment

i thought i would introduce myself to the new forum i signed up for. i'm still learning this stuff, but i have some knowledge. i just like to tinker with stuff to see if i can fix it to save some $$$$

by the way my name is charles

Comment

Introduction, my name is keith and live in the UK, my first computer was a spectrum plus. was in the RAF as an electronics technician, after that I got my engineering degree. Iused to repair Tvs has a hobby, but went to work in the middle east for 15 yeaars so have lost track of things, am 67 yo now, and am trying to pick up the thread again.

Comment

Hi everyone

a user on another website( bios related), gave me the link to this website... .

I'm a pc technician (doing my best).

The first time I need to fix a pc was ... (here we go, long story ... , I will keep it short)15 years ago, I was 14years old (or maybe 13?). I managed to destroy(that what I thaught first) our first family pc (bought second hand). So I took my time to learn how to get the cd-rom working from an application called "DOS". .. And finally, after reading(helpfunction), trying, ... I succeeded not only to activate the cd-rom but also to instaal OS (win95).

So Here I am now, WIN 7 is out but had not much time to play with.
              I'm selfemployed with a partime job as a helpdesk agent for a ISP.
              I fix computerproblems and deliver some services to consumers and little companies(at this moment only one company contact me, only once, not long ago... ). Officially for 1,5 years.

I also study accountancy (just finished , evening college). In case this earns more money then fixing computers ( and no doubt about it ).

I'm here because I'm having a problem with a pc, and hope I will find the answer here.... .

With kind regards.

Comment

Hello, to all You lovely people.

Well after reading some of the posts here I know I'm in the right place to find out how to fix this and that in electronic's

I have been reading the post's on this forum site for 2 weeks only

I have know knowledge at all about it,Well I say nothing If there was a scale of (1 to 10) I would be about a 2 but I am willing to learn and I think that's what this site is all about

I am also a retired Carpenter/Joiner as one of your members has said in a post I have read recently

I am also from Wales but reside in England

I do have a slight knowledge of radio and have repaired a few

I will be posting a problem I have at the moment on a

Xerox XM3-22wBXM3-22wH

I have been following some of the posts on "screen goes blank after 2 sec's"

and I hope to be able to fix it somehow

Just a p.s. how do I upload Pictures and in what resolution? I know I saw a posting somewhere?

Art

Comment

Found this info-packed site as result of Google search while seeking info on a Dell GX270 issue ... and looks like I hit the 'mother lode' of info regarding caps!

Background: A few years ago I spent 3 years working as test engineer at a contract manufacturer; we built a variety of product including product heavy in SMT (including high pin-count BGA and really small QFN packaged parts) running two 'placement' lines with their own reflow ovens ... we saw our share of little problems, including bad 'parts' right off the reel (in this case it was switching FETs with a gate threshold value noticeably above spec). Most of what I dealt with was RF-related problems, and not because parts were 'bad', but because the customer design was not robust to small component variations (like device capacitance, which affected tuning for best ACP at the high end of the 3.5 GHz band). The last couple years I spent at Cisco in Richardson working on their WiMAX P4 effort doing RF & power supply and system integration work using LabVIEW as a tool (BTW, CSCO canceled the P4 project work back in February '10)

Anyway, I'm really impressed with the work that ppl have down here in addressing issues that have cropped up 'in the field' due to bad components and component aging and so forth ... good work all.

Oh, and my name is Jim.

Comment

Hi guys,

Long time lurker.

Have been repairing electronics as a hobby for about 15yrs. Got my basic electronics training from the Navy, though i have learned a lot more on my own than in school. Nothing beats actual hands experience.

Looking forward to contribute and learn.

Thanks,
                    Marc

Comment

Hi All,

I've been a lurker for a few years but decided to join after I ended up with a Imac G5 with a faulty logic board. I've replaced the caps but now it only lights up 2 LEDs on the board. I've done some more searching and so hope to tempt it back to life again by loosening screws and such.

I don't do much in the way of electronics though I work in IT. Mechanical items are more my forte. Currently I'm rebuilding the engine from a Citroen XM 2.1 SED.

A great forum with loads of info. Thanks to all.

Steve.

Comment

HJello, I am Bernbard a new member

Comment

Great info in here, perfect for an electronics packrat like myself.

Comment

Corbino here, been looking around here for a coupla hours and have found more information than I did all day yesterday! Badcaps!

Comment

*WELCOME* to every new member, i wish the forum had an intro area to give individual responses, but, this is what it is

i hope you all enjoy this site and get what you need.

if I can help out on something I sure will, we have quite a good number of invalueable members here with lots of experience and knowledge. i'd sure like to become one of em eventually

remember to read the posting guidelines cause............. wel, just read em cause u have already agred with em :P

peace & Welcome again!!!!!
                              We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives. We have a spiritual depression.

Comment

Hi Everyone, Just completing my first introduction post. I have been out of the electronics game for a while, but jumping in now with both feet at 51, thanks to my understanding wife! Started repairing those old tube TV's when I was 10, and today I see so many things thrown away which have so much life left in them for the sake of a simple electronic part. We all know 7 out of 10 times the cap is the culprit.

Stumbled across this great site and love the information and tips. Great idea!

Now back to troubleshooting one of those pesky tek scopes --- Keith

Comment

Hello everyone, new to the forum and I realize I am completely out of my element. I am a marine engine tech and I don't have to much experience with internal computer parts but I'm trying to learn. I've learned a lot just reading about similar problems others are having with their computers and monitors. I have several monitors (broken) that are stacked up like cord wood and I decided to learn how to repair them, or try to. I figure it's better then using them for target practice. I may change my mind about that later but for now repairing them is the goal.

This adventure is mostly for the satisfaction of repairing my own equipment. I'm motivated and willing to learn. There's a lot of pros here and I would be grateful for your help. Thanks, Ron

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                                    I'm Raff. Ive been generally mucking about with computers since I first saw a TRS80 at the local Tandy electronics store in around 1978. I just had to tinker with it any chance I got, mostly during the lunch hoour when I was in apprenticeship training. I worked for a very large telecommunications company for 16 years as a tech, then into computers full time both for others and in my own co-owned business for many years. I then worked in marine electronics both building and helping prototype new creations for a few years or so. I am now retired due to ill health, but tinker whenever I can. I love this forum, very 'old school' down to component level, just how I like it!

Comment

hello! im from Tijuana, Mexico my name is Ivan i'm 28 years old.. i am a tech and newbie i hope we can help me to learn about electronic components and motherboards.. nice to meet all and have a nice day

Comment

Hello BadCaps,

My name is Jo, I'm from the UK England.
                                        I just found your wonderful forum and I am looking forward to learning lots of new information about BadCaps and what to do about them.

Thanks,

Jo.

Comment

Hi,
                                          I started my work life a a 'radio mechanic' - the official Tasmanian apprenticeship title. worked in retail/RF/industrial electronics service for about 10 years. Very exciting & challenging years, particularly in the enormous growth of discrete logic circuitry.

Then the Commodore 64 appeared.

Computing was my hobby until then, but I switched to fixing very little except Commodore, SpectraVideo, IBM & Atari mainboards, monitors & disk drives for the next couple of years.

I gained my A.O.L.C.P. (VHF/UHF ham radio) in late teens & B.O.C.P. (broadcast engineer) soon after, so I worked in broadcast FM radio for 10 years -RF, audio chain, studio design & construction. I still contribute in a caretaker/ volunteer role.

Last 15 have been IT/Internet back end with less & less bench repair opportunities.

Comment

Working...
                                          X