Problem with Emachines L22YCET Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Emachines L22YCET Monitor

I have a emachines L22YCET monitor and it will power on and will stay on with no shutdown issues, when I hit the power button, the screen will show a quick pop up stating "No Sync" and then go blank.

The monitor actually fried a cpu on the motherboard in one of my desktop computers when I powered the monitor "on" but, I did not know that had happened at that point in time, so I connected the monitor to another desktop computer thinking that maybe the reason the monitor was not working or displaying anything was because of a graphics issue in the 1st computer tower it was connected to so... I connected the monitor to another desktop computer and it fried the cpu on the motherboard in that computer too..

I replaced both cpu's on the motherboards in each desktop computer and of course was able to connect a different monitor to them and both computers work fine so... for some reason when I connect my emachines monitor to a computer, it will fry the cpu in that computer.

I removed the back cover from the monitor and can see the two circuit boards and from what little info I can find on the web, one circuit board is the power supply board and the other is the video board. (I think)

Neither of those boards seem to have any bulging capacitors nor can I find anything that looks burnt or bad and there is no smell of anything burnt, however, that is only from a non technical inspection as I cannot find any diagram anywhere to direct me on how to check for voltages or electrical values etc..

Has anyone had any experience with this same issue and if so, will you please help me out and give me some insight as to what I should do?

In my thinking, I feel like maybe the video board may be shorted but of course I am not certain of that.

Also, does anyone know of a website that would have replacement parts for this monitor and/or a website with some technical support for this monitor?

I have searched emachines, gateway and dell and because the monitor is not under warranty, they have nothing and I cannot find anything elsewhere on the web either. Thank you.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards, Don

Re: Problem with Emachines L22YCET Monitor

Would get more attention in the troubleshooting monitors section - perhaps ask a mod to move it.
    Have you tested the cable that runs from Monitor to PC. Vga?

Good Clear pictures of the front and back of both boards might help.

EDIT

Also does it connect to the pc via a graphics card or onboard graphics (motherboard)
    I have never heard of this happening will be interesting to see what other say.
    Last edited by selldoor; 02-26-2014, 04:07 AM.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
      Would get more attention in the troubleshooting monitors section - perhaps ask a mod to move it.
      Have you tested the cable that runs from Monitor to PC. Vga?

Good Clear pictures of the front and back of both boards might help.

EDIT

Also does it connect to the pc via a graphics card or onboard graphics (motherboard)
      I have never heard of this happening will be interesting to see what other say.
      Thanks for the input. I will copy my post to the "troubleshooting monitors" section as you have suggested, just learning my way around the forum and thanks for the suggestion.

Concerning the monitor:

I have sort of put the monitor problem on the "back burner" so to speak, I have been very busy however, it has been rolling around in my head that it could actually be that the video cable has shorted and intend to test it very soon.

I can post pics however, there is nothing at all on the pics that shows any sign of failure such as swollen caps or any burnt areas or even any areas that seem to have gotten hot so.. not totally sure if the pics will help, but again, anything to figure it out and accommodate the folks trying to help me of course.

The monitor connects directly to the motherboard's vga connector, no added vid card has been installed, its only integrated/on-board graphics.

I know, I have not ever heard of this either and so I just wanted to post to see if this was a common problem with these emachines monitors or even a problem that someone else had dealt with or heard of, it is a very unusual problem I think.

I will go ahead now though and test the vid cable, I will feel really stupid if that is what it is. I am not lazy I assure you, I suppose sometimes one cannot see the trees for the woods right lol..

Again, thanks for the input and before I re-post this thread in the "troubleshooting monitors" section, I will go ahead and test the vid cable and let you know what the testing outcome is.

Best regards to you, thanks again.

Comment

You might also want to probe the VGA input while the monitor is powered on to make sure it's not squirting any oddball voltages back at the computer.

Comment

Hi Don
          Never seen a cpu got out from a monitor either !!

I doubt very much that boards are causing a cpu to go out ?? I would think that it would take out the GPU first ?
          My guess is that maybe a bulb in the screen might be shoving power to a ground.
          22 inch screens tend to have issues with bulbs since they are so tightly packed and get HOT !
          A lot of times just the wire at the end of the bulb burns off.

One way to maybe tell is power the monitor up with no vga attached.
          Now watch the no sync note and the power button light
          If a backlight bulb is the issue, you may see flickering or a pinkish hue to the no sync
          also, If a backlight bulb is the issue,the no sync will go out a second before the monitor power light turns amber (with good bulbs, these two would go out at the same time)

Comment

Moved to the correct forum.....and I very highly doubt that the monitor somehow fried the CPU.....that's beyond a long shot. Sounds like theres 2 different problems
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

sounds like the Emachines monitors are as bad as there PSU's!!!

Comment

It is indeed the monitor frying the cpu and I am 100% certain of that as of now, since the original post, it has fried a second cpu. I give up on working on THIS monitor because of the lack of parts and lack of technical information (electrical schematics, electrical values, etc) that is available for these emachine monitors. I will know not to ever buy another and when one comes into my shop that is a real tough fix issue, I will give it a go but repairing is just not logical. I will explain to the customer my own experience and findings concerning these monitors and suggest they discard it and buy a newer one of their liking but let me check out the tech info availability for them before they buy it. IN MY OPINION, E-machine just is not very good!

That's a wrap on this one guys. Thanks for all the help and sorry I cannot offer any thing for you on these monitors, there is just not enough factory technical info available in order to really get involved into the trouble shooting and come up with some answers that can be proven in shop.

I have been a tech for many years and have worked with some great companies and we all love our schematics right lol!

Best regards all, Don

Comment

Working...
                X